American Sex Offender EDWARD MARISPINI Arrested in Cambodia After Working as a Teacher at Beijing International Academy

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: American Sex Offender EDWARD MARISPINI Arrested in Cambodia After Working as a Teacher at Beijing International Acad

Post by Brody »

I think it said in an article posted earlier that the US embassy revoked his passport, so maybe that's what they mean by no passport.
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:23 pm JOSEPH MARISPINI has been arrested by immigration police in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and it sounds like local news is saying the US Embassy revoked his passport , making it possible for local Cambodian authorities to arrest him for 'not having a valid passport.'
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: American Sex Offender EDWARD MARISPINI Arrested in Cambodia After Working as a Teacher at Beijing International Acad

Post by hanno »

Brody wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:56 am
hanno wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:06 am
fax wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:52 am
hanno wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:34 am Isn't the TEFL uniform long-sleeved shirt, pants, and leather shoes?
What do you wear for work? Don't you wear pants and a shirt?
Yes (though not long-sleeved), I did not try to say that this uniform is exclusive of TEFL'ers; my point was that I am assuming the teacher is not the guy in shorts, Tee, and sneakers. Though of course Mr. Marsipini could have been a PE teacher....
Jesus, hanno. It's not a given that they arrested the guy while he was at work and in his work clothes.

Anyway the article says they were picked up yesterday which was a national holiday and schools were closed I think.

Also, that "true anon" guy said that Marispini bailed and said that he was planning to fly out of Cambodia, after he was confronted at work.

Furthermore, the only tefl jobbers that dress in all black like that, work at Limkokwing.
Jesus Brody, end of the day who looks more like a teacher?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

RickyBobby wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:02 am So, he had an expired visa and that of course is a chargeable offense. Again the issue of whether or not we must have our passport on us at all times comes to mind, as this is also mentioned.

So, I wonder though, why a guy like this who is working legit, lets his visa expire? Could it be it was in processing, i.e. he had sent it to be renewed, so they just held his passport and application until they could charge him with an expired visa?

I once had a situation like that, they had not returned my passport and visa past the expiry date. I did get it, but it made me nervous at the time.
As Brody pointed out, his visa did not expire.

We've seen this maneuver by U.S. authorities before. If you have a warrant for your arrest on a felony matter in the USA, the State Department can and will revoke your passport and then ask the Cambodian police to arrest you on an "immigration violation." Then US law enforcement frogmarches you back to the USA to face the charges, even though there is no extradition treaty between Cambodia and the USA.

Marispini is a convicted child sex offender. He was once sentenced to four years in prison in Minnesota for crimes against a child under age 16. He was subsequently charged in 2009 on some kind of "failure to register" type of infraction. I cannot find any active warrants for his arrest mentioned online, but there may be one.

He is currently listed as a "non-compliant" offender in Minnesota's registry, type in Edward Marispini or Edward Joseph Marispini here: https://por.state.mn.us/OffenderSearch.aspx

I figured his non-compliance in Minnesota was due to him moving out of the country. I didn't know that sex offenders are required to notify a US jurisdiction when they move out of the USA, but maybe they are. Perhaps that's a crime in and of itself in Minnesota, and there's some warrant for his arrest over that, or maybe he's wanted on a different charge, I don't know. The USA generally does not revoke the passports of American sex offenders who have served their time.

He was hired as a teacher by Beijing International Academy and a co-worker got suspicious about him and found out he was a child sex offender and exposed him to the school and also here on February 14:

post314577.html?hilit=marispini#p314577

I can only guess that someone at the embassy must have seen that CEO posting, or maybe the co-worker also reported his to the embassy, and the embassy decided that they had grounds to revoke Marispini's passport and compel his return to the USA.

Marispini had been posting on Facebook that he was planning to fly to the USA on Monday the 18th, I guess the embassy and FBI folks didn't want to wait to arrest him in the USA or checked flight records and saw he didn't have a ticket or feared he might disappear. His Facebook and YouTube postings suggest he has spent time teaching in Ukraine.

Marispini has a YouTube channel called "Sergeant English," maybe he's also ex-special forces.

RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:49 am
RickyBobby wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:02 am So, he had an expired visa and that of course is a chargeable offense. Again the issue of whether or not we must have our passport on us at all times comes to mind, as this is also mentioned.

So, I wonder though, why a guy like this who is working legit, lets his visa expire? Could it be it was in processing, i.e. he had sent it to be renewed, so they just held his passport and application until they could charge him with an expired visa?

I once had a situation like that, they had not returned my passport and visa past the expiry date. I did get it, but it made me nervous at the time.
As Brody pointed out, his visa did not expire.

We've seen this maneuver by U.S. authorities before. If you have a warrant for your arrest on a felony matter in the USA, the State Department can and will revoke your passport and then ask the Cambodian police to arrest you on an "immigration violation." Then US law enforcement frogmarches you back to the USA to face the charges, even though there is no extradition treaty between Cambodia and the USA.

Marispini is a convicted child sex offender. He was once sentenced to four years in prison in Minnesota for crimes against a child under age 16. He was subsequently charged in 2009 on some kind of "failure to register" type of infraction. I cannot find any active warrants for his arrest mentioned online, but there may be one.

He is currently listed as a "non-compliant" offender in Minnesota's registry, type in Edward Marispini or Edward Joseph Marispini here: https://por.state.mn.us/OffenderSearch.aspx

I figured his non-compliance in Minnesota was due to him moving out of the country. I didn't know that sex offenders are required to notify a US jurisdiction when they move out of the USA, but maybe they are. Perhaps that's a crime in and of itself in Minnesota, and there's some warrant for his arrest over that, or maybe he's wanted on a different charge, I don't know. The USA generally does not revoke the passports of American sex offenders who have served their time.

He was hired as a teacher by Beijing International Academy and a co-worker got suspicious about him and found out he was a child sex offender and exposed him to the school and also here on February 14:

post314577.html?hilit=marispini#p314577

I can only guess that someone at the embassy must have seen that CEO posting, or maybe the co-worker also reported his to the embassy, and the embassy decided that they had grounds to revoke Marispini's passport and compel his return to the USA.

Marispini had been posting on Facebook that he was planning to fly to the USA on Monday the 18th, I guess the embassy and FBI folks didn't want to wait to arrest him in the USA or checked flight records and saw he didn't have a ticket or feared he might disappear. His Facebook and YouTube postings suggest he has spent time teaching in Ukraine.

Marispini has a YouTube channel called "Sergeant English," maybe he's also ex-special forces.

That all makes sense, but sounds like a best guess? How do you know this is what happened?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

One thing I find very intersting about this story is that is says he was detained by a representative of the U.S. Embassy. That may be a mis-translation or misstatement about what happened. Normally what happens here is the U.S. Embassy revokes the passport, tells the Cambodian police, and asks the Cambodian police to arrest the guy for an immigration violation.

American embassy personnel generally don't have the lawful authority to go around rounding up and detaining Americans in Cambodia.

The only way I could see him detained by the embassy staff is if he went into the embassy, perhaps caused a disturbance there, I don't know.

He was posting on Facebook about his plans to leave Cambodia on February 18, maybe it's possible that he tried to leave, but he was stopped by Cambodian immigration police at the airport when his revoked passport went "beep beep beep" and then went to the embassy to resolve it and got detained there. But that doesn't make a lot of sense, the Cambodian cops could have just detained him at the airport if they found him there. Also, the embassy would have been closed Saturday through Monday for the President's Day holiday.

My best guess here is that he wasn't detained by an embassy representative, he was detained at the direction of an embassy representative. But I don't know, these FBI and Diplomatic Security guys seem to take a lot of liberties in Cambodia when it comes to rooting out American sex offenders and forcing them back to the USA.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

RickyBobby wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:57 am That all makes sense, but sounds like a best guess? How do you know this is what happened?
I don't know for sure what happened, neither Marispini nor the embassy staff called me. I just know that the embassy routinely revokes the passports of Americans in Cambodia who are discovered to have felony warrants, especially related to child sex offenses, and then orchestrates their arrest by Cambodian police on immigration violations and forces them to return to the USA.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:05 am
RickyBobby wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:57 am That all makes sense, but sounds like a best guess? How do you know this is what happened?
I don't know for sure what happened, neither Marispini nor the embassy staff called me. I just know that the embassy routinely revokes the passports of Americans in Cambodia who are discovered to have felony warrants, especially related to child sex offenses, and then orchestrates their arrest by Cambodian police on immigration violations and forces them to return to the USA.
So can any nation basically revoke a citizens passport at any time without notice and then have them found culpable for an infraction. Seems tricky/sneaky, however, if it works to collect their felons, then I guess its fair play.

I wonder though what people like this are supposed to do in life. They cannot ever go straight or get away from their past.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

hanno wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:31 am
Brody wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:56 am
hanno wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:06 am
fax wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:52 am
hanno wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:34 am Isn't the TEFL uniform long-sleeved shirt, pants, and leather shoes?
What do you wear for work? Don't you wear pants and a shirt?
Yes (though not long-sleeved), I did not try to say that this uniform is exclusive of TEFL'ers; my point was that I am assuming the teacher is not the guy in shorts, Tee, and sneakers. Though of course Mr. Marsipini could have been a PE teacher....
Jesus, hanno. It's not a given that they arrested the guy while he was at work and in his work clothes.

Anyway the article says they were picked up yesterday which was a national holiday and schools were closed I think.

Also, that "true anon" guy said that Marispini bailed and said that he was planning to fly out of Cambodia, after he was confronted at work.

Furthermore, the only tefl jobbers that dress in all black like that, work at Limkokwing.
Jesus Brody, end of the day who looks more like a teacher?
You'd be surprised, my friend. You'd be surprised. There are some crack heads out there teaching the ABC's.

Also, what did we say earlier about you judging people based on looks, hanno....tsk tsk.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:49 am I can only guess that someone at the embassy must have seen that CEO posting, or maybe the co-worker also reported his to the embassy, and the embassy decided that they had grounds to revoke Marispini's passport and compel his return to the USA.
That would be uncharacteristically proactive for the US embassy.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if true.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

RickyBobby wrote:I wonder though what people like this are supposed to do in life. They cannot ever go straight or get away from their past.
In his case, part of going straight would have involved not working at a school or other establishment where children are present. Doesn't seem like he was remotely trying to "go straight".
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic