Epic fail....

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Epic fail....

Post by RickyBobby »

I don't know, it doesn't look bad from here. Appearance and taste are not always present at the same time. Plating and presentation is also an art. Sometimes some foods just need a good pairing to offset something missing. (you could have paired with some veggies or a salad, and also some decent red)

In this case, you could have added some cheese, some cream, maybe a dash of brown sugar (always a secret ingredient in pasta sauces), some butter even if it was too dry.

The pasta, the sauce, and the meatballs all stand on their own as ingredients. The pasta is simple enough; boiled in some salt water, with perhaps a bit of oil, don't over cook, you want al Dante' not too soft no too hard.

The sauce, you said is packaged, ragu. Can't do no harm there. Salt and pepper to taste, however if you put too much pepper, oops, and better luck next time.

Lean pork would perhaps make your meatballs dryer than preferred, but not necessarily affect the overall taste. Broken up and eaten with sauce, it should be fine. When mixing up meats for meatballs, its best to not use lean meats, and if the main cut is lean, add in some fatty meats, as another poster said, bacon is a great choice. Also, you can add some oil and some egg, and also some spices before mixing and forming the balls. You can precook in butter or tallow or lard if you like.

We are not born knowing how to cook. Eat your experiments, and the more you do it, the better you will get. Its not only necessary, it can be very fun. We have to do it anyhow, why not make friends with the process.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

RickyBobby wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:15 ambacon is a great choice.
Am I the only person in the whole wide world that absolutely hates bacon?
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

hanno wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:41 am
Well, obviously not, however I cant recall anyone else telling me they don't like it. Well, maybe my GF now that I think about it. But, for in a mix of ground meat, would you notice its there? Would be just as good to use ground pork belly then, or just plain pork fat must be able to be purchased on its own at the markets?

BTW, I see you like to make your own pasta; good on you. But am surprised you don't use the KA attachment for that?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

RickyBobby wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:59 am
hanno wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:41 am
Well, obviously not, however I cant recall anyone else telling me they don't like it. Well, maybe my GF now that I think about it. But, for in a mix of ground meat, would you notice its there? Would be just as good to use ground pork belly then, or just plain pork fat must be able to be purchased on its own at the markets?

BTW, I see you like to make your own pasta; good on you. But am surprised you don't use the KA attachment for that?
I started rolling pasta by hand before I bought the KA; kind of stuck I guess.

I do not use lean cuts for meat balls and the like; no need to add fat. Agreed, I probably wouldn't notice it though but would not use it myself.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Definitely will try with the additional ingredients the next go... Wish the stuff wasnt overly expensive but yah cant do anything when its all imported... Oddly enough i was expecting the pasta to be expensive but they were surprisingly only a buck for a lb..

Had some banging crab and squid at oyster hut last night so ill have to continue to get my khmer seafood eating goin... Ill hit pasta once again when my taste for local food tires
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Jcml19 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:03 pm Image

Attempted to cook pasta and meatballs... Epic fail!! Put too much kampot pepper, used lean pork loin, and and raguuuuu.... I need to stick to bacon...
May not look nice but how does it taste?
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

yong wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:08 pm
Jcml19 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:03 pm Image

Attempted to cook pasta and meatballs... Epic fail!! Put too much kampot pepper, used lean pork loin, and and raguuuuu.... I need to stick to bacon...
May not look nice but how does it taste?
Didnt taste terrible but could have easily been better... Oh wells, better luck next time :roll:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I tried cooking spaghetti for the first time in my life this week. Twice.

A massive object that I've been picking at for many days.

First time didn't have enough sauce or even onions, and corrected that the second round. Enough garlic to keep vampires off me even in the afterlife.

Will try it again this weekend, but will add even more meat. I went with 600 grams the last two times, and I'm aiming for just over a kilo this time.

I even threw some salmon in it a few times.

I've even discovered something called VEGETABLES, which are nice in small doses. A Google search reveals that these things grow naturally from the ground and people consider them 'healthy,' whatever that means.

ImageImageImageImage
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia