UK Hostel Owner, Joe Morrissey, in a Coma in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UK Hostel Owner, Joe Morrissey, in a Coma in Sihanoukville

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

17 February 2019
Sihanoukville Cambodia News: Joe Quarcoo Morrissey, who runs a hostel at Otres, Sihanoukville, had a motorbike accident in early February this year and is in a coma in the intensive care unit.
Hospital bills are reported to cost almost $4000 a week, and Joe has no health insurance, so his family in the UK are trying to raise the money. In the GoFundMe appeal below, they say they hope to raise 50,000 GBP

Dough for Joe
Joe Quarcoo Morrissey has been in a terrible accident in Cambodia leaving him in a coma in intensive care with escalating medical costs. Please help us to help his family.

For those of you who don't know Joe, he is 24 years old, from York and has recently had a new baby with partner Emilie. Their beautiful baby Saul is nearly a year old. The three of them are living in Cambodia where they run a hostel.

Joe is an absolutely great guy. He’s really happy go lucky, super kind and thoughtful. He is as handsome as hell and a great footballer and athlete. He is a great friend and a loving father. He brought his baby to the UK at Christmas and it was amazing to see how proud he is of his little boy.

So, it was unbelievably shocking for everyone to hear that just a few weeks later Joe was involved in a serious accident in Cambodia. He is in a coma in intensive care and has been there since the first week in February. His Mum and Dad and sister are, of course, doing all they can. His Mum is with him now but all the time the costs of Joe’s care are mounting up.

Together with all his friends, we are trying to help Joe’s family at this awful time. We realise that raising money is only one thing we can do but we would like to help reduce the stress on his family.

The costs of his care will be high, it is already costing £3,000 a week. This is why we are aiming for £50,000 so all donations, however small are really helpful. Please donate if you can.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/uc3gj-dough-for-joe
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: UK Hostel Owner, Joe Morrissey, in a Coma in Sihanoukville

Post by Albror »

He can affors a bussiness but not insurance?

Hope he pay back every cent he get donated.
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Albror wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 am He can affors a bussiness but not insurance?

Hope he pay back every cent he get donated.

That's a good point. I wonder if he even has business insurance.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

I wonder what sort of crash helmet he was wearing?

Impact of motorcycle helmets and state laws on society's burden: a national study.
The National Trauma Data Bank identified motorcycle crash patients from 2002 to 2007. Data collected included demographics, markers of injury severity, resource utilization, and outcome.

RESULTS: Over 2.3 million patients were entered into the National Trauma Data Bank. A total of 76,944 were in motorcycle collisions and had helmet use documented. Mean age, admission Glasgow Coma Scale score, and Injury Severity Score were 36 years, 13.7, and 13.5, respectively. Of the patients 76% wore helmets, and had lower Glasgow coma scale, injury severity score, head abbreviated injury scale, resource utilization, and mortality than unhelmeted patients. There were more uninsured patients who did not wear helmets. Logistic regression analysis indicated that helmet use has a strong protective effect on in-hospital mortality. Helmet use could save approximately $32.5 million by reducing ICU stay.

CONCLUSIONS: Unhelmeted motorcycle crash patients suffer more severe brain injuries, consume more resources, and have the worst payor mix. Society bears a large financial burden for these uninsured unhelmeted patients. There is a survival advantage for helmeted patients. All states should have universal motorcycle helmet laws that are aggressively enforced.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19730173
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

It many sound heartless but I am so tired of this kind of thing.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

When I see Westerners on motos with no helmet it makes my blood boil. So fucking irresponsible.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm When I see Westerners on motos with no helmet it makes my blood boil. So fucking irresponsible.
Ditto.

Just retarded.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

People who buy $20 helmets just so the police won't stop them aren't the smartest either. I'd rather spend $200+ on a real helmet to greatly reduce the chances of having to go to a shitty 3rd world hospital and have Bong Heng ducktape my head together and staple my face back on upside down in the event of an accident.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

Captain Bonez wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:43 pm People who buy $20 helmets just so the police won't stop them aren't the smartest either. I'd rather spend $200+ on a real helmet to greatly reduce the chances of having to go to a shitty 3rd world hospital and have Bong Heng ducktape my head together and staple my face back on upside down in the event of an accident.
Yeh right like expats have 200+ dollars to spend on a helmet when then cannot even afford travel insurance.

Get with the program.
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm When I see Westerners on motos with no helmet it makes my blood boil. So fucking irresponsible.
Yeh like we should be responsible for our own safety at all times.

How ridiculous.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic