UK Hostel Owner, Joe Morrissey, in a Coma in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: UK Hostel Owner, Joe Morrissey, in a Coma in Sihanoukville

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Hmc123 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:34 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:29 pm
Hmc123 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:13 pm
The Suk Straggler wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:06 pm I dare say the “best” dad ... really best, top of the heap ... would have gotten health insurance for himself and his family and stopped riding around without a helmet once he had a child!
Waiting for you to quote where on Earth you’ve read he had no helemet on....?!!
Waiting for you to quote why he didn't have health insurance for himself and his family?! :facepalm:
I’m gonna go ahead and take that as a no from you, I’m also gonna say he didn’t not have health insurance at all it just hasn’t covered and i’ll admit at present I don’t know the ins and outs of that - but I certainly know a lot more than you and if you need to comment your lacking opinion maybe find more facts out first.
Well, up until now you were sort of evading other posters as to whether or not he had insurance.. If you are now suggesting he did have insurance but wasn't covered, then there could be a range of reasons for that but I know that my insurance specifies (as far as motorcycle riding):

must have current motorcycle licence in the country you are staying
must have current equivalent licence from your home country ie UK
must wear a helmet
motorcycle must be less than 125cc (albeit many say <250cc by default). Other policies have a premium for unlimited cc.
must not be riding under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

He still alive then?

Any good signs?
Hmc123
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Hmc123 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:49 pm He still alive then?

Any good signs?
Yes thankfully he has gone from a coma score of 3 out of 15 with a 30% chance of living to a score of 12!! He has seemed to regain consciousness, although a long way to go, he is strong and is giving good signs! X
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:beer3: Good luck to the Guy,hope he recovers and he has some good friends,18k+ raised in 5days :hattip:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yeah, once he gets a bit better he can sign up here and set the story straight :beer2:
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Hmc123 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:24 pm Some of these comments actually sicken me! Firstly people saying not wearing a helmet is ‘retarded’... not reading the article where it says nothing about him not wearing a helmet is retarded! People saying he should pay back every cent and he doesn’t deserve it and is begging - his MANY friends clubbed together to raise money for him and his family because he is so so loved and truly deserves it, he’s a genuine guy as are his family and you should be truly ashamed if you have written unnecessary or nasty things on here, don’t like the situation or whatever keep it to yourself and move on you don’t need to upset others with it.
Things is tho that someone can be stupid and felt for at the same time. Of course its good for him that he get help and no-one wish otherwise but that does not mean someone can be stupid and have brought it up on themselves. That you see the harsh truth in it does not mean you dont wish the person well.

And for the others who are reading, yes, its not only family and friends who use this forum, they hopefully realise that they should get cover for medical care.

I for one do not believe for a second that a westerner who come to Cambodia are not aware what will happen if they get very ill. Still they did not pay for it, probably as it was expensive. So for them to save a few hundred bucks you are now raising thousands from peoples sympathy. So there you get into the ethic part. Is it right to collect from strangers if it was you who tried to save a few bucks by put yourself in the situation? There is were the "he should pay back" comes from. Why should others pay for such neglance.

And that is a valid point even if we all wish well for him.
Last edited by Albror on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Was he wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet?
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

Cam Nivag wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:24 pm Was he wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet?
Thats the 64 million $ ? but too most it does not matter,in cambodia you can be Barry Sheene and it takes a stupid road user to severly injure you.I was on the bus this morning going uptown and a barang girl turned from MOA sey TUNG onto Monivong on a push bike,she was nearly wiped out 3 times,she had a helmet all be it on the handle bars,when the bus got along side her i gestured to her to use her helmet,she gestured to me to go forth and multiply. :assasin:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

She won't be going forth and multiplying if she continues that behavior. She will be pushing up daisies!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Albror wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:19 pm And for the others who are reading, yes, its not only family and friends who use this forum, they hopefully realise that they should get cover for medical care.

I for one do not believe for a second that a westerner who come to Cambodia are not aware what will happen if they get very ill. Still they did not pay for it, probably as it was expensive. So for them to save a few hundred bucks you are now raising thousands from peoples sympathy.
There was an earlier comment around whether he had insurance or not.
Hmc123 wrote: I’m also gonna say he didn’t not have health insurance at all it just hasn’t covered and i’ll admit at present I don’t know the ins and outs of that
The suggestion is he might of had insurance but the insurer wouldn't cover As we all know, insurance companies have lots of various exclusions in their policies and if they can find a way to get out of paying...they will.

The onus is on the individual to go over the PDS with a fine tooth comb with regard to what is covered, what isn't and the exclusions. With motorcycle riding there are certain specific requirements..some of which I mentioned earlier. eg. no licence, no helmet, under the influence of alcohol etc

So it's also a possibility that he did have insurance but just didn't meet the requirements for the cover.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic