the staring and the spying

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: the staring and the spying

Post by Kammekor »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:57 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:30 am In Khmer culture staring at someone is considered pretty rude, and is something you shouldn't do.
Really? You are literally the only person I have ever heard say this. Every other person I've had the staring discussion with, be they Khmer or foreign, has said it's perfectly normal and acceptable in this country.
Yes, really. But there's two things. First, Khmer culture is not the same as Phnom Penh culture. And second, things are changing.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The Suk Straggler wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:13 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:30 am

I don't get what this has to do with the staring and spying....

In Khmer culture staring at someone is considered pretty rude, and is something you shouldn't do. On the other hand most Khmer are pretty curious and if there's one thing they like to do besides gambling and drinking its gossiping, so there you have it.

Like mentioned before, if it bothers you if someone is checking you out, a polite smile will do. They will feel like caught in the act and probably stop staring. If the smile doesn't do the trick, a wink will do. If the wink doesn't, he or she's a pro. :stir:
Have you never been to Cambodia??? I’m new here and there is lots of staring and catching them in the act does not deter them one bit!
Yeah, have been there a few times.
Spoiler:
Been around since Oct 2009. But not in Phnom Penh.
Sherman's mate
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Sherman's mate »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm I do my best to give them something worthwhile to stare at.
I was told a long time ago that.
When a girl’s twenty, all the guys would stare at her boobs.
Then when she was thirty, they would all stare at her crotch.
And now that she’s forty, they don’t stare at all.
:wink:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Sherman's mate wrote:
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm I do my best to give them something worthwhile to stare at.
I was told a long time ago that.
When a girl’s twenty, all the guys would stare at her boobs.
Then when she was thirty, they would all stare at her crotch.
And now that she’s forty, they don’t stare at all.
:wink:
You’ve obviously not met me.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

That's because he does a 180 when women hit 50 :thumb:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I turned 50 on Friday. :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Now if only the "spying" would extend to some foreigner that has died in some crappy guesthouse; nobody notices until what is left oozes down the stairs.....
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

hanno wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 pm Now if only the "spying" would extend to some foreigner that has died in some crappy guesthouse; nobody notices until what is left oozes down the stairs.....
:no: ..only if the rent is not due for another month.. :mrgreen:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

curiosity wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:58 pm Hi folks,

what is your best reaction to the staring?
what is your best reaction to the spying? (e.g. overhearing conversations, peeking at laptops/phones, following people around etc.)
seems like both things are quite normal for Khmer people.
1/Smile and say "Hello, What is your name? "in Khmer. If it's a kid, say, why aren't you at school ?
2/Do you have something to hide ? 8)
Seriously, does anyone else here think that people are following them ? That's not a good sign.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:37 pm I turned 50 on Friday. :)

Your kidding us . Was that avatar photo of you taken 20 years ago ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic