Car part terms in Khmer?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Car part terms in Khmer?

Post by lostjeremy »

Trying to figure out the correct words in Khmer for:

1 Automatic transmission
2 Timing belt
3 Water pump
4 Turbo

Anyone know in Khmer and/or romanized script?

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Car part terms in Khmer?

Post by explorer »

lostjeremy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:39 am Trying to figure out the correct words in Khmer for:

1 Automatic transmission
2 Timing belt
3 Water pump
4 Turbo

Why do you want to know? Is it to talk to a mechanic, or are you using it for teaching English?

When talking about car parts, for many mechanics may use French or English words, or the Cambodian words often originate from French or English words. If you learn what mechanics call some of these things, most ordinary Cambodians would not understand.

I have not been involved with mechanics in Cambodia, and dont know many words from the mechanics trade. But here is some information to get you started.

An ordinary water pump is called: ម៉ាស៊ីន បូម ទឹក (masin boem tduk), which is literally "machine pump water." I am not sure if they use the same word for a water pump on a motor, but if you said that a mechanic should understand.

I dont know the word for a turbo, but if you said: ម៉ាស៊ីន បូម ខ្យល់ (masin boem kjol), which is "machine pump air," a mechanic should understand.

When ordinary Cambodians talk about automatic motorbikes, they normally say: មិន ប្រើ លេខ (mn praa laek), which is "not use numbers." They call gears numbers.

The word ខ្សែ (ksae) is used for string, rope, wire and belt. I dont know what a mechanic would call a timing belt, but if you used the word ខ្សែ and pointed to the appropriate location, they should understand.

If somebody has been more involved with mechanical terms, they may be able to give a better explanation. Maybe I can learn from them too.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Hahaha my English is absolutely atrocious and I'd make a bad English language teacher.

It's to talk with a mechanic. The wife usually teaches me words I need to know but she's not a car person so she's not familiar with those parts
This is for a car not a Moto but I'm sure the terms can be used interchangibly for the most part.

Thanks for the help.

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

lostjeremy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:39 am Trying to figure out the correct words in Khmer for:

1 Automatic transmission
2 Timing belt
3 Water pump
4 Turbo

Just use Google translate, you can use it on your phone to communicate to the mechanic.
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... +translate

Also show a picture of what you are referring to, eg explaining adjusting valve clearances:

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

You can try Google translate, but it is often wrong, particularly when you use unusual words, so they may not understand.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

:protest:

1 Automatic transmission
2 Timing belt
3 Water pump
4 Turbo

1: Boab-leik auto
2: Sapien La Cam
3: Bom Dtuc
4: Same as: Turbo. But more emphasis on the u and the bo
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

explorer wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:59 am You can try Google translate, but it is often wrong, particularly when you use unusual words, so they may not understand.
That's why I back up with a photo, and you can always put the translated word into Google and see what image you get.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

showing a picture is best but not too close. they xan work out what u are talking about if they can see where it is on the engine. this is often followed by along wait while they send someone to the local car thief wwho wi probably have the right part for the wrong car. nothing a quick whack with a hammer and 5 mintes with angle grinder and welder cannit fix.
There are 2 words in Cambodian for mechanic . BODGER and BUTCHER 😁
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

pczz wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm probably have the right part for the wrong car. nothing a quick whack with a hammer and 5 mintes with angle grinder and welder cannit fix.
😁
Sounds like fun, but surely even in Cambodia, whacking someone with a hammer or attacking them with a grinder is frowned upon?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 pm
pczz wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm probably have the right part for the wrong car. nothing a quick whack with a hammer and 5 mintes with angle grinder and welder cannit fix.
😁
Sounds like fun, but surely even in Cambodia, whacking someone with a hammer or attacking them with a grinder is frowned upon?
There are a lot of different individuals. Some are better, and some are worse. But to put it nicely, the level of training in Cambodia is nothing like the level of training in affluent countries. Some of them do things which would horrify a mechanic from an affluent country.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic