Dishonest & Destitute Dutchman Claims to Work for TripAdvisor in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Dishonest & Destitute Dutchman Claims to Work for TripAdvisor in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Reports of a Dutchman being helped by locals & expats after he says he was injured in an accident started circulating on social media, and many expats recognize him as a known scammer who has claimed to work for TripAdvisor in both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

ImageImageImageImage

A short while later there was an update:

ImageImage

Some of the comments about him:
Spoiler:
This Holland man got accidents can not afford for medicine and stole all his money he does not have food to eat.
I hope his embassy could help.

No Dutch embassy in Cambodia.
UK embassy deal with Dutch nationals, however they won’t help much, as they’re useless.

He has actually been scamming for years....used to go hotels and guesthouse saying he worked for TripAdvisor and was there to review the place...eat and stay for free then move on.

I owned the guesthouse he did it in...and I've seen him around for years...my friends guesthouse he did same and left with the sheets and pillows lol

Yes bong mack is correct years in PP. I forgot about him until I moved to siem reap and saw him there. If i recall he gets regular amounts of cash wired via western union some for his disability some from family. Anyway he has help and support although most likely no valid visa so feel free to report him to immigration he will get all the consular support he needs that way

Yep Rain Man been scamming for yrs,he has a disability and plays on it,always has money but will take the free ride,he arses around the lowlifes off pp,and obviously pissed one off them off.

Hmm... no helth Insurance... even not a accident insurance... how stupid some people are .... no food .... there is plenty of it in the nature around him ... no money . Just go to your home country and get social welfare....

Hes a scammer, been at it for years, don't give him a cent... best thing you can do is inform the Department of Immigration.

We all know it...personally I owned a business he tried the TripAdvisor scam...he lies and steals....he scams anyone that feels sorry for him...but feel free to give him your money....I know for a fact he's been doing it for over 5 years in Cambodia...

Watch out for this guy. He'll tell you all kind of stories. He is disabled yes, but he receives money for that from Holland (he told me himself). Likes to go around places, sees if there is an opportunity and then just drops down on the ground, faking a seizure or whatever. I saw him doing it twice in PP. Preferably at places where (illegal) activities take place so the owner of that place will do anything not to have cops involved and send him to hospital or give him money to sod off.
Don't get fooled by his handicap, imho he is no better or worse than the German big leg guy. What goes around comes around, disabled or not.

Hello I give you news of Jonas
I'm sitting next to him on the picture of your post he's fine he was shocked he was treated in a clinic here in Phnom Penh he is followed by another Holland friends. Jonas is fine., He was hit by a motorcycle and stolen from everything are money today the situation is good. Do not worry.
Thanks to the Khmer who took care of him. Thank you for their kindness.

Very heartening that there are Khmers that will help a foreigner. I know some myself and pray there are lots more around. Problem is with this guy's history. If any of it is true, then those kind Khmers might feel bitten/cheated and they might withhold their kindness in the future to people that deserve/need it a touch more.

We should all be good to all people. I am filled with love on this Valentines day but if the stories are true, I feel shame that any person would accept help if he knows in his heart he has cheated others.
Karma is a bitch, but she lives here and we have to try and get along.

This is great news, is TripAdvisor still employing him as their roving Cambodia representative? I only wonder as I was worried if his second job of mooching off people didn't meet the requisite for a work permit and I know it would be an awful loss to society if he was deported for not meeting the normal visa requirements
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Dishonest & Destitute Dutchman Claims to Work for TripAdvisor in Phnom Penh

Post by Cam Nivag »

According to a Facebook post, Ghostwatch has tracked him to the Grey Guesthouse on Street 111.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doesn't Tripadvisor just work off user reviews anyway? Do they actually need staff out in the field? And who would ever go on a trip advised on by that derelict mess? He needs to get his shit together.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
MrSam
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrSam »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:29 pm Doesn't Tripadvisor just work off user reviews anyway? Do they actually need staff out in the field? And who would ever go on a trip advised on by that derelict mess? He needs to get his shit together.
In a seance yes they do have staff.. or did have.. Basically they would pay backpackers small amounts of money to get the ball rolling on hotels that are back and beyond to write reviews. There is still some places that ask for people to come and review but there's defiantly no official staff.
This guys just a slaver. and looks like a dead beat.
“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Didn't Willy the Jew once claim he also worked for Trip Advisor...these scammers need to be a bit more original.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Willy was "tracked" for years but did he get a beating once? Random NGO named GhostWatch leads angry vigilantes to homeless white guy. Strange NGO mission?
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

fax wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:15 am Willy was "tracked" for years but did he get a beating once? Random NGO named GhostWatch leads angry vigilantes to homeless white guy. Strange NGO mission?
certainly that NGO helps lift Khmer society up more than say repairing paralyzed kitties.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

MrSam wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:58 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:29 pm Doesn't Tripadvisor just work off user reviews anyway? Do they actually need staff out in the field? And who would ever go on a trip advised on by that derelict mess? He needs to get his shit together.
In a seance yes they do have staff.. or did have..
In a seance?

Is that so they can get reviews from deathpats?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

fax wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:15 am Willy was "tracked" for years but did he get a beating once? Random NGO named GhostWatch leads angry vigilantes to homeless white guy. Strange NGO mission?
I only updated a thread to drop a reference to the pedophile and scammer hunting group "Ghostwatch," which I had never heard of before.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

This GhostWatch sounds double cool, how does one join?
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic