Monzo invite (travel bank card for UK people, may also work for Europeans!)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Monzo invite (travel bank card for UK people, may also work for Europeans!)

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

If you haven't already got Monzo you can sign up for it via the link below and it'll give you £5 in the account straight away, I pretty much use it for most transactions but mainly for abroad as any chip and pin terminal won't cost any fees because Monzo themselves take the hit, so essentially it'll convert whatever cost it is ($ € etc) in to the best rate for £, it works all over the world and also can be used for online purchases via foreign stores to help save cash as you won't have fees added on.

Also you can withdraw £200 a month without a fee from foreign ATMs, back home you can withdraw as much as you like just as you would your normal debit card.

Really easy to do just click the link below

Just follow these instructions: https://join.monzo.com/r/6rz54g9
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Re: Monzo invite (travel bank card for UK people, may also work for Europeans!)

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

P.s if anyone has any questions then feel free to ask or pm me, I'll be more than happy to help! :)
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:38 pm P.s if anyone has any questions then feel free to ask or pm me, I'll be more than happy to help! :)
I ahve a revolut card with premium. Pretty much the same but I can have acountns in usd, eur, gbp and pretty much anythign else. Good side is it means i can change money when the rate is good and not exactly when i need it. bad side is you have to have a uk sim for security codes when the app crashes (frequently) and you do may atm fees. Almost all these accounts now require you to be a uk or eu resident( god knows if they will work after brexit). Any idea if you can actually sign up from here or do you have to be at home and any restrictions on currency swaps?
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

I think you can still sign up form here, the card will end up at your UK residence (or a friend or family members) however that can be forwarded on. As far as I've used the account it's always been in GBP, I assume you can transfer USD on to it and it'll just work in the conversion itself giving you the best rate for GBP, Then when you go to spend in something that costs USD it'll just concert whatever amounts needed for the transaction.

I used revolut before however found the customer service a little crappy. With Monzo you can speak with agents direct via the app and I've never had to wait more than a few minutes for some of the best service I've had with any companies. In fact revolut lost a test transfer of mine and couldn't locate it... Lucky it was only £1 so no harm done.

Also another benefit is transferring money between friends, you can do it in seconds to split bills etc (plus you can put notes for what the payments were for) We had 4 of us on holiday in Colombia and one person would pay the bill whilst the others transferred their share. Made things a lot smoother than faffing about with who owes what and change etc. I'm normally a all chip in kinda guy but some people have to pay their exact amount or they feel screwed over lol.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:53 pm I think you can still sign up form here, the card will end up at your UK residence (or a friend or family members) however that can be forwarded on. As far as I've used the account it's always been in GBP, I assume you can transfer USD on to it and it'll just work in the conversion itself giving you the best rate for GBP, Then when you go to spend in something that costs USD it'll just concert whatever amounts needed for the transaction.

I used revolut before however found the customer service a little crappy. With Monzo you can speak with agents direct via the app and I've never had to wait more than a few minutes for some of the best service I've had with any companies. In fact revolut lost a test transfer of mine and couldn't locate it... Lucky it was only £1 so no harm done.

Also another benefit is transferring money between friends, you can do it in seconds to split bills etc (plus you can put notes for what the payments were for) We had 4 of us on holiday in Colombia and one person would pay the bill whilst the others transferred their share. Made things a lot smoother than faffing about with who owes what and change etc. I'm normally a all chip in kinda guy but some people have to pay their exact amount or they feel screwed over lol.
Revolut is totally crappy. they agreed I could sedn money from here then blocked the last transfer. that cost me £200 because by the time i found out and rerouted it through an offshore account I have the exchange rate went tits up. So far have got £100 compo out of them but its goignt to the ombudsman now. Expecting them to shut me down soon, hence looking for an alternate.

If you go back to uk often i suggest try and find uk bank with usd and euro acoutns like lloyds international or barclays. Use monzo to load them and do wire transfers here. BTW usually ACLEDA rate for GBP is better than you get at home froma bank or even many of the fx companies. If you cannot get midpoit rate you might to look at sending gbp and letting the bank here do the swap.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Monzo is now a bank. no?

I had to get Revolut which serves me great but a Monzo card would mean an extra £200 a month charge free...
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

I use EASYFX. You load up the card in UK£ and then have the option to convert to a large number of different currencies. You do need access to a UK mobile number to activate the card and may be need for security checks.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Monzo invite (tvravel bank card for UK people, may also work for Europeans!)

Post by shnoukieBRO »

There's loads of good ones. All similar.

But very few allow people from out of UK to apply for them. I live in Channel islands and couldn't get monzo but could get Revolut. And that revolut card saved me lots on bank charges when withdrawall of cash.

If I got a Monzo I could save more, but never mind.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

i use a Halifax clarity card, its a credit card but all foreign transaction fees are waved. can draw as much out of atms abroad as you like. think my limit is £300 worth daily.
trick to making it work for you is draw your cash on the card and as soon as possible pay it off with your online banking app. this way each transaction cost next to nothing. i have all my banking apps on my phone so its a doddle.
obviously if your a bit of a dick you'll come unstuck quite fast.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic