Lazy Passapp Drivers.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Lazy Passapp Drivers.

Post by RickyBobby »

So I like to call a car, the price difference seems negligible. Incidentally, while waiting, I get the usual harassment from tuk tuk drivers. I enjoy telling them that I call passapp because I like the fixed fare and also that I don't like being harassed all the time and that tuk tuk is going out of business and they better get with the program.

The car pulls up and I haul my bags to the rear of the car. the driver pops the trunk and just sits there. I refuse to lift my bag, expecting some service, heck, even the tuk tuk drivers do a good job with that.

I wait about 1 minute, I am about to cancel the fare, but I notice he has already started it when he had arrived. I wait, and finally, he gets his lazy ass out of the car and puts my bag in the trunk.

One more thing, I do not like these new Thailand style machines that are replacing tuk tuks. Not as much space or comfort, you are sitting over the motor, and the visibility is not nearly as good. If I am not calling a car, I still prefer the trad remourke.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Lazy Passapp Drivers.

Post by fax »

Grab is cheaper and you can cancel ongoing fares.

I don't think that you should tell tuktuk drivers that they're going out of business. It's not a very nice thing to say. You can't blame them for trying to earn money through honest work.

If instead he put the luggage in the trunk we would read about the crazy driver who manhandled your precious Gucci and you probably had your best Chinese teapot in there... Relax
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Yeah, bit of a dick move. It's not Days of the Raj.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Actually, before they kicked out Uber, those drivers had to give service and could be rated accordingly. It may be a dik move, but if they want a tip, I expect service. Do it the way you like, that's just how I roll. If I order a car, I pay a bit more. If I order a tuktuk or what ever the fuck those new things are called, they are right on their feet to put the bags in for me. They don't sit there to load myself.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

A PassApp guy is driving you 45 minutes to the airport and getting paid about five bucks. Just put your bags in the trunk and then don't tip him if the lack of service offends you. If you want white glove service, hire a butler.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:57 am A PassApp guy is driving you 45 minutes to the airport and getting paid about five bucks. Just put your bags in the trunk and then don't tip him if the lack of service offends you. If you want white glove service, hire a butler.
... says the guy worried about overpaying 100 riel too much for a bottle of water.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

RickyBobby wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:04 am
Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:57 am A PassApp guy is driving you 45 minutes to the airport and getting paid about five bucks. Just put your bags in the trunk and then don't tip him if the lack of service offends you. If you want white glove service, hire a butler.
... says the guy worried about overpaying 100 riel too much for a bottle of water.
Stop treating people like crap. Mocking impoverished tuk tuk drivers about their struggling business, refusing to lift your bag and standing there until the brown man does it, it's ugly, man.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:06 am
RickyBobby wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:04 am
Stop treating people like crap. Mocking impoverished tuk tuk drivers about their struggling business, refusing to lift your bag and standing there until the brown man does it, it's ugly, man.
Well, I must say I am a little surprised with the reaction to an expectation of service. Is that unusual? Also turning it into a racial thing is unwarranted. That's not what its about so don't go there.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

RickyBobby wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:50 am they kicked out Uber
Why are you so angry? Nobody kicked out Uber, Grab bought them for a lot of money https://www.bbc.com/news/business-43536322
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

fax wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am
RickyBobby wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:50 am they kicked out Uber
Why are you so angry? Nobody kicked out Uber, Grab bought them for a lot of money https://www.bbc.com/news/business-43536322
Angry? Not at all. I just know their protocols and came to appreciate and expect that. If Passapp Car drivers don't do it, and they are all the same, then I will have to re-evaluate my expectations. Also, I would then just order a tuktuk, I like the open air, and they are as helpful as shit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic