Lazy Passapp Drivers.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Lazy Passapp Drivers.

Post by Jcml19 »

Completely agree... I see a bunch of tuk tuk n remorks just chilling by landmarks and some will have recliners hahah
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:24 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:50 pm Sometimes they call to ask "Where are you?"
Yuh, I wonder about this. I've pinned my location on the map...why can't they see it on their map? Or, is it just to make sure you're actually there and waiting..boo!
They can see it. They just can't read the map and find the pickup spot.
Yuh, I think it's just me with my western hat thinking why would these khmer dudes join up with Passapp/Grab unless they understood how it works and can actually read maps..
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 amI do notice since the apps arrived (passapp et.al.) that tuktuks are not as greedy in their pricing. They know they're not going to get it. I pretty much know what is fair pricing and I am not 'green' anymore and it shows. I just hop in and say go. Stop here turn here. When I get off I pay them whatever I want, and I walk away.
I think sooner or later you will have a problem doing this.
Well, I hate the constant negotiation, and so far so good. No, I think with my time on the ground and with my Khmer Partners assistance, I have learned what is acceptable and fair, so I have almost never had a problem.

The drivers to be more wary of are the ones that work for hotels and deal more exclusively with tourists. They might get less fares, and expect more from people who are willing to pay more because they don't know any better.

The worst that can happen is that they demand more $$'s and it costs me a few more bucks to rid myself of the problem. In the long run, its far worth it to me. The only time I can remember this happening where it was any kind of bigger issue was when the guy ended up giving us a tour of the city because he had no clue where to go and kept saying "I know I know" whenever we stopped, and we even had him call the destination for directions. In the end, he wanted an unreasonable fare and we felt that it was not our fault he drove all over town and didn't want to pay. I wasn't alone, and she finally reached an agreement with him.

But this is why I prefer passapp (as I said haven't tried grab yet) because it saves you from all of this potential hassle.

I have now on occasion asked my obviously clueless driver to stop and let me off when I see this kind of thing happening again. It also just recently happened with a passapp too. But that was before I had the app and I realized that GF hadn't put in the destination when she ordered. She said "Get another one" and so we stopped and got off. You win some you lose some.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Equinix wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:30 pm They are probably worried you cancel their request, I don't see how that's a reason to cancel. Image
I don't think that they are worried. I think they have accepted a ride while already driving somebody else on another app. There are tuktuks around every corner so if they don't have time I rather wait for someone who does. If they call it means they will be late.

They have no need to worry. They know my order and where I am. If that is not enough information from me I can't help them.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

fax wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:27 am
Equinix wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:30 pm They are probably worried you cancel their request, I don't see how that's a reason to cancel. Image
I don't think that they are worried. I think they have accepted a ride while already driving somebody else on another app. There are tuktuks around every corner so if they don't have time I rather wait for someone who does. If they call it means they will be late.

They have no need to worry. They know my order and where I am. If that is not enough information from me I can't help them.
I hadn't considered that - also explains why their location seems to pause while on the way to you.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

A Grab driver dropped me off an hour ago but didn't mark the fare as finished on the app and virtually continued driving me for another hour.

He just finished the ride and I got like 1500 KHR worth of points. Nice.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I recommend giving the Indian tuktuks a wide berth in the rain if you are walking or on a moto. Many of them don't zip up their plastic sides and they flap around.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

You bumped a 17-month old post for that?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:09 pm You bumped a 17-month old post for that?
I'm with you. For what? How pathetic.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:44 am
rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:09 pm You bumped a 17-month old post for that?
I'm with you. For what? How pathetic.
Wow, tough audience for a Sunday. @armchairlawyer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic