Lazy Passapp Drivers.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Lazy Passapp Drivers.

Post by pczz »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:26 pm
pczz wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:48 pm What was profitable in a new rig may not be so good now they are getting on a bit and needing maintenance. gearboxes seem to be particular problem.
Yuh, whether you're riding a moto behind these indian tuk tuks or sitting inside and they change up a gear, you hear this almighty 'clunk' which makes you think the gearbox is gonna fall out. Surely this is really bad design and must drive everybody nuts.. Then again, I got in one once that had an auto box and it was smooth as..albeit presumably more expensive to buy.
That wasnt an auto. Gearbox was jammed :-)
Try the 4 seater. That is an example of exactly how to build a torture devise. Uncomfortable and scary
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

pczz wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:48 pm What was profitable in a new rig may not be so good now they are getting on a bit and needing maintenance. gearboxes seem to be particular problem.
Yuh, whether you're riding a moto behind these indian tuk tuks or sitting inside and they change up a gear, you hear this almighty 'clunk' which makes you think the gearbox is gonna fall out. Surely this is really bad design and must drive everybody nuts.. Then again, I got in one once that had an auto box and it was smooth as..albeit presumably more expensive to buy.
It's more likely to be that the new Baja tuktuks are geared, and the drivers are used to automatics. Let's never admit that we don't know how to change gears though, we'll just grind them until we work it out.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:30 pm
It's more likely to be that the new Baja tuktuks are geared, and the drivers are used to automatics. Let's never admit that we don't know how to change gears though, we'll just grind them until we work it out.
Americans don't know how to use a gearbox either. maybe thats why they spend so much time grinding in cambodia :Yahoo!:
SaigonBilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SaigonBilly »

RickyBobby wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:27 am
SaigonBilly wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 am The old style "baroques" are about 300 Riel more but way more roomy and scenic.
remourke?
sorry about my spelling, you know what i'm talking about.
It's all good or or it's no good!
:D :evil6:
SaigonBilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SaigonBilly »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:34 am
StroppyChops wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:14 am
SaigonBilly wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 am The old style "baroques" are about 300 Riel more but way more roomy and scenic.
remourke?
Sure, but these ones have grandeur, sensuous richness, drama, vitality, movement, tension, emotional exuberance, and a tendency to blur distinctions between the various arts.

ImageImage
That's some priceless artwork that your always aware of even if your not thinking.
It's all good or or it's no good!
:D :evil6:
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

SaigonBilly wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:21 am
remourke?
Sorry about my spelling, you know what I'm talking about.
Haha, that wasn't bad spelling, it was a different word altogether. I guess I knew what you meant, because I guessed right, even though some other autistic member also was good enough to let me know I also didn't spell it correctly. But I agree with your statement. I refuse this new style after trying it a few times. When I first came to Cambodia, they were not here. They were in Thailand and I hated them. They are not spacious and I cant see out. I cant stretch out my legs and if you have a few bags with you its not gonna work. You are sitting on top of the motor, and they are noisy and bumpy.

I do notice since the apps arrived (passapp et.al.) that tuktuks are not as greedy in their pricing. They know they're not going to get it. I pretty much know what is fair pricing and I am not 'green' anymore and it shows. I just hop in and say go. Stop here turn here. When I get off I pay them whatever I want, and I walk away.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 am
I do notice since the apps arrived (passapp et.al.) that tuktuks are not as greedy in their pricing. They know they're not going to get it. I pretty much know what is fair pricing and I am not 'green' anymore and it shows. I just hop in and say go. Stop here turn here. When I get off I pay them whatever I want, and I walk away.
I think sooner or later you will have a problem doing this.
BTW, with Grab you can choose a remorque or a tuktuk, by which they mean the Bajaj (locals call them "Lampada"). The remorque is sometimes slightly more expensive.
I agree the Bajajs are uncomfortable and dangerous. They can get you there more quickly sometimes, due to their good acceleration and slim body.

BTW, aren't the Bangkok tuktuks a bit different from the Bajajs? They seem bigger and faster and with a different engine sound.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am
BTW, with Grab you can choose a remorque or a tuktuk, by which they mean the Bajaj (locals call them "Lampada"). The remorque is sometimes slightly more expensive.
I agree the Bajajs are uncomfortable and dangerous. They can get you there more quickly sometimes, due to their good acceleration and slim body.

BTW, aren't the Bangkok tuktuks a bit different from the Bajajs? They seem bigger and faster and with a different engine sound.
same with Passapp, you can select the trad tuktuk. They have photos of what you are ordering.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

armchairlawyer wrote:
Yep, it’s pretty stupid. Unless it is with a driver you know already and use all the time.

I’ve had a couple of unpleasant arguments with tuktuk drivers over the years who believed that I should have been giving them a greater fare for the ride - despite agreeing the price in advance.

Unless of course RB is green, doesn’t know the local prices and is throwing money around like Floyd Mayweather.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am

All my Khmer friends just call them "tuk tuk in-deer" haha.

Anyway, re bag-lifting, maybe I've been lucky, but I can't ever remember a Cambodian driver of any vehicle who didn't try to help me with my bags, although there probably has been a couple over the years. I try to stop the drivers and do the lifting myself for politeness sake, but maybe OP's driver was just having a bad day?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic