Highway 2 conditions from Phnom Penh to Kep?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Highway 2 conditions from Phnom Penh to Kep?

Post by lostjeremy »

Another route to 100% avoid....41...I had the bright idea to go a little down nr4 then take 41 and just cross over nr3 to go down to Kep on some smaller roads.

41 is an absolute shit show unless your in a Hummer H1.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

lostjeremy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:27 pm Another route to 100% avoid....41...I had the bright idea to go a little down nr4 then take 41 and just cross over nr3 to go down to Kep on some smaller roads.

41 is an absolute shit show unless your in a Hummer H1.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
Pity as that used to be a great road. Seems to have been destroyed pretty fast
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Under current conditions the following stays the fastest way for me. I do it approximately 4 times a month and can do it slightly under 3 hours on a good day. (I only drive long distance during daytime so don't know if it's still the fastest after dark).
https://goo.gl/maps/QQoD5qDtcNq
just noise, white noise
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

whiteribbon wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:42 pm Under current conditions the following stays the fastest way for me. I do it approximately 4 times a month and can do it slightly under 3 hours on a good day. (I only drive long distance during daytime so don't know if it's still the fastest after dark).
https://goo.gl/maps/QQoD5qDtcNq
I went to Kep and back on my moto over the weekend via this route It was 3.5 hours for the return trip partly due to slow moving small tuktuks , slow Lexus drivers, concrete trucks and the bouncy road surface north of Takeo. An enjoyable ride with great scenery.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Great scenery? Where was that? Except for Kampong Trach in the distance I thought that ride is very unappealing to say the least.
And route nr.2 is a freakin joke.
People in other countries would be ashamed to have that kind of a road for 1 kilometre to the next dumpster.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

King Keil wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:20 pm Great scenery? Where was that? Except for Kampong Trach in the distance I thought that ride is very unappealing to say the least.
People in other countries would be ashamed to have that kind of a road for 1 kilometre to the next dumpster.
What's your suggestion then? People in other countries are ashamed of the road conditions here? Really?
just noise, white noise
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

whiteribbon wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:05 am
King Keil wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:20 pm Great scenery? Where was that? Except for Kampong Trach in the distance I thought that ride is very unappealing to say the least.
What's your suggestion then? People in other countries are ashamed of the road conditions here? Really?
My suggestion is to upgrade the damn road. It goes to a regional centre and then to the border with Vietnam.
All these skyscrapers and shopping malls and then this road, it is just a joke.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

It's all relative. I thought Nr.2 was pretty good and enjoyable because the time before I went down Nr.3. Anything is better than that at the moment. The southern part of Nr.2 to the border is in excellent order, and the scenery is very nice especially around Prey Ampok.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic