Will Brexit hurt you in ways you havent thought of

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Will Brexit hurt you in ways you havent thought of

Post by Kammekor »

TOG wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 am What you seem not to understand is the concern that Brussels have about trade with the UK. If we have trade agreements with other countries that allow goods into the UK at lower rates than the EU, Brussels is worried that those goods will find their way into the EU thus undercutting EU tariffs. That is why Brussels are insisting on a border at the sea and they are the ones who will not allow a borderless N.Ireland. Our stance is that we can handle this with paperwork and electronic tracking of goods. It is the EU who will not allow this and are insisting on the backstop as a way of circumnavigating the issue.
No, the EU doesn't insist on a border at the sea. The EU insist on a border. A border the UK doesn't want, but a border that's a simple consequence of Brexit. If you leave the trade union, there will be borders between you and the trade union. The fact the UK can't accept that baffles me.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Another one jumps ship, Sir Jim Ratcliffe is now moving to Monaco, god knows when the everyday Brexiteer will understand that all this Brexit shite had nothing to do with them and sovereignty, It was announced in January 2016 that the EU would be implementing the Anti Tax Avoidance Directive something the UK didn't like the sound of, then followed in June the referendum, the funding for this is now being investigated.
Brexiteers need to open their eye's and see that they were manipulated, not entirely their fault as they have been drip fed BS from the likes of the DM and the sun for years.
God knows what will eventually happen, I'm just happy that I sold and changed all my assets and legged it out of that country, I do however fear for my family stuck in the UK.
We will see what unfolds.

References
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 83626.html

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/b ... rective_en

Have a nice day all :beer3:

PS just for fun, The father of the house.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Kammekor wrote:
TOG wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:31 am Has no one noticed that the EU offered nothing? All they did was to keep on saying to May's team (May herself most of the time) what are you prepared to pay us and put some proposals on the table so that we can reject them. The EU offered nothing constructive. You would have thought that with such an important decision, they all would have been sitting down working out how best to orchestrate the withdrawal.
The EU agreed on a safety net for a hard Brexit, the UK not (yet)...

Who's rejecting what?
I find the argument that the EU offered nothing a weird one. Why should they?

The EU didn’t decide that the UK would leave, the UK decided this. Therefore, surely the obligation is on the side who made the decision to come up with acceptable terms to instigate that break.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

TOG wrote:. It's the Irish question that the EU are using as blocker. If they wanted, the EU could easily agree with the UK a borderless Ireland, they don't want to. Ireland want to see a unified Ireland and see this as a way of achieving it. Push the border back to the sea and absorb Northern Ireland. Of course, they are not brave enough to actually come out and say this.
That is an extremely naive understanding about the Irish situation.
May cannot have a border in the Irish Sea as she needs the DUP and the DUP will not accept this.
The implications of the Good Friday Agreement, which the UK was a signatory of, cannot be ignored.

And if you really believe that ‘Ireland want to see a United Ireland’ then wow, you are living 50 years in the past and really have no idea about reality.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

@ khmerhamster

It would help ifr you kept your comments to one post rather than many, it is hard to follow that way.

Define border. Soft, hard or whatever.

It is the the EUs interest to sit down and work out terms, not just sit down, talk, read and reject.

It is the ultimate goal of the Republic of Ireland to unit the whole island. After three tours of N.I and years of listening/watching the various politicians and sides, I think I am well qualified to comment on what the Republic of Ireland want, and it is not a separated island.

You sound so depressed, a good reason to accept what has happened and make the best you can out of it. Your negativity will only make you even more depressed. As the saying goes, When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I happen to like lemons and lemonade so I am not depressed either way. Don't forget that the majority of voters in this country had to live with an EU they did not vote for for over 25 years and just got on with life until Brussels went too far.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

TOG wrote:@ khmerhamster

It would help ifr you kept your comments to one post rather than many, it is hard to follow that way.

Define border. Soft, hard or whatever.

It is the the EUs interest to sit down and work out terms, not just sit down, talk, read and reject.

It is the ultimate goal of the Republic of Ireland to unit the whole island. After three tours of N.I and years of listening/watching the various politicians and sides, I think I am well qualified to comment on what the Republic of Ireland want, and it is not a separated island.

You sound so depressed, a good reason to accept what has happened and make the best you can out of it. Your negativity will only make you even more depressed. As the saying goes, When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I happen to like lemons and lemonade so I am not depressed either way. Don't forget that the majority of voters in this country had to live with an EU they did not vote for for over 25 years and just got on with life until Brussels went too far.
Far from depressed. But thanks for your concern.
However your three tours, most recent - what 25 years ago?Makes you better placed to know about the Island of Ireland that someone who was born & raised there.
Were your three tours in the Republic of Ireland? Is that how you know so much about what they want?
Stop trying to be a know-it-all, you are far from it.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:47 pm Stop trying to be a know-it-all, you are far from it.
It#'s a forum where you state your views.

Have I called you a know it all? You are entitled to your views just as everyone on the forum is entitled to theirs.

It's not my fault that you are wrong and in the minority, you have to live with that.

Geiing back to the thread title,. Nope, Brexit will not hurt me in anyway as I have already factored in what may happen short term and then long term and made arrangements. And when I think of all of those Project Fear stories, World War 3, triple bounce in the economy and I am sure some thought they would see the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Where are we? More growth than the EU, higher employment figures, no WW3 or bubonic plague so excuse me if I do not for one minute believe any figures from Carney or the IMF about the UK being doomed. They have constantly got it wrong over the UK economy.

As for Ireland and N. Ireland. Do you honestly think that the Republic do not want to see a united Ireland? A united Ireland would solve everything just as the Republic leaving the EU would.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/polit ... endum-poll
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKBN1OB1VV
https://www.politico.eu/article/no-deal ... an-oneill/
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 75256.html
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

TOG wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:47 pm Stop trying to be a know-it-all, you are far from it.
It#'s a forum where you state your views.

Have I called you a know it all? You are entitled to your views just as everyone on the forum is entitled to theirs.

It's not my fault that you are wrong and in the minority, you have to live with that.

Geiing back to the thread title,. Nope, Brexit will not hurt me in anyway as I have already factored in what may happen short term and then long term and made arrangements. And when I think of all of those Project Fear stories, World War 3, triple bounce in the economy and I am sure some thought they would see the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Where are we? More growth than the EU, higher employment figures, no WW3 or bubonic plague so excuse me if I do not for one minute believe any figures from Carney or the IMF about the UK being doomed. They have constantly got it wrong over the UK economy.

As for Ireland and N. Ireland. Do you honestly think that the Republic do not want to see a united Ireland? A united Ireland would solve everything just as the Republic leaving the EU would.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/polit ... endum-poll
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKBN1OB1VV
https://www.politico.eu/article/no-deal ... an-oneill/
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 75256.html
I am in the wrong and in the minority???
About what? I’m not sure I have stated my views. I just challenged some of the nonsense that you are spouting. But of course with your 3 recent tours of Ulster you clearly know what the people of RoI want.

The republic want a united ireland? - the polls I have read show that about 1 in 3 people just don’t care. This would be consistent with what I see on the ground. And for the rest, there are a few hardliners on both sides, but the majority of those voting are thinking ‘maybe within the next 20 years’.

You don’t know what you think you know.
YORKIE
Expatriate

Post by YORKIE »

BREAKING NEWS Japaneses car maker Honda is drawing up plans to close its manufacturing plant in Swindon.
Definitely not Brexit. My friend James Martin from down the pub said I'ts because of the price of tyres and steering wheels. And I believe him. He reads The Daily Mail.
Swindon voted 54% Leave. But they knew what they were voting for. Didn't they Tog. :hattip: :hattip:
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:15 pm I am in the wrong and in the minority???
About what? I’m not sure I have stated my views. I just challenged some of the nonsense that you are spouting. But of course with your 3 recent tours of Ulster you clearly know what the people of RoI want.

The republic want a united ireland? - the polls I have read show that about 1 in 3 people just don’t care. This would be consistent with what I see on the ground. And for the rest, there are a few hardliners on both sides, but the majority of those voting are thinking ‘maybe within the next 20 years’.

You don’t know what you think you know.
You have moaned and moaned about Brexit and how it will hurt, about your family and the future. I think that is a subtle hint you would rather remain in the EU.

You did look at those links I posted? Every poll carried out in the Republic shows an overwhelming vote to unite Ireland. I am confident that within 10 or 20 years, the two sides will unite and there will no longer be a Northern Ireland. Not such a bad thing. Instead of insulting me, show links to your view that the Republic want to keep Ireland as two countries.

One more point and that's me finished with trying to educate you.

Ever since the Maastricht treaty, what has proven to be a majority of voters had to make do with being in the EU when all they ever wanted was a common market, not a political unification. Did they try to run down the economy? No. Did they forecast the end of the world? No. Did they cause any trouble and organise marches to Downing Street? No. They just got on with making the best out of a bad deal.

When the opportunity came for those who wanted a complete break from Europe came, they voted for it.

Sour grapes and scorched earth policy from the Remainers. That's what makes the break so hard. Instead of accepting the majority vote and getting on with it, they just try to run the country down with Project Fear and activist marches.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic