Really annoying problems with credit cards

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
YeP
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Really annoying problems with credit cards

Post by YeP »

explorer wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:08 am
beaker wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 am How about using a VPN that would show you in the UK and logging into the banks internet banking from a PC that doesn't have a sim could you not use like a messenger app that receives and sends SMS messages.
Have you tried using PayPal for online purchases it is connected to bank and works as debit card and is more widely accepted
SMS messages get sent to your phone number in your home country. Does anybody know any way to get these sent over the internet?

PayPal takes money from a bank account, and you may still get sent an SMS message.

With my bank, I can pay certain trusted places without an SMS, such as water and electricity. You may be able to get PayPal into that category.
The Commonwealth Bank Australia gives you the option of an sms to your Australian phone which I use and it still works in Cambodia alternatively you can opt to receive the code to your Mobile app or online account which I have also used
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

YeP wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:27 am
explorer wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:08 am
beaker wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 am How about using a VPN that would show you in the UK and logging into the banks internet banking from a PC that doesn't have a sim could you not use like a messenger app that receives and sends SMS messages.
Have you tried using PayPal for online purchases it is connected to bank and works as debit card and is more widely accepted
SMS messages get sent to your phone number in your home country. Does anybody know any way to get these sent over the internet?

PayPal takes money from a bank account, and you may still get sent an SMS message.

With my bank, I can pay certain trusted places without an SMS, such as water and electricity. You may be able to get PayPal into that category.
The Commonwealth Bank Australia gives you the option of an sms to your Australian phone which I use and it still works in Cambodia alternatively you can opt to receive the code to your Mobile app or online account which I have also used
My bank send messages to email when I use PayPal.
I still don't understand why if you are traveling they would expect you to keep up a phone in the UK.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

For me it wasn’t for every purchase but every so often they would block the card and to unblock it you needed to receive a SMS.
I had to spend about 45 mins on the phone explaining the situation every time and it just was so tedious. They reckoned that if I didn’t give them a phone number then the system would default to sending an email - but this never ever worked.
I think RBS cards got stung with a massive fraud from SE Asia a few years back so they were extremely cautious.

I just got tired of the hassle and changed to another provider who has never given me any issues.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:54 am
pczz wrote: English banks have their arese so far up thei bums their noses are hitting their adams apple grrr
Im struggling to visualise this. Could you draw a picture?

I’ve had same issue with UK credit card. I’ve switched providers a few times until I found one which works for me. It can be a pain.
Picture of an ostrich with its head up its arse is readily available in newspapers almost daily. Google Theresa May, Boris Johnson, nigel Farage Rees Mogg o Donald Trump for a good example :stir:
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

I also have a UK Bank Account and have had to provide a UK telephone number. I opened a UK Telephone number via Skype and use this for SMS messages or calls from the bank. I have relatives in UK who also can use this number in emergencies to keep me informed. The telephone number when used rings my mobile number here in Cambodia and the caller in UK is totally ignorant as to where I am. The only downside is getting the occasional call in the early hours of the morning due to the time difference. The cost of this convenience is US$ 52 per year and is automatically renewed each year by my credit card.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

jimpson wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:27 am I also have a UK Bank Account and have had to provide a UK telephone number. I opened a UK Telephone number via Skype and use this for SMS messages or calls from the bank. I have relatives in UK who also can use this number in emergencies to keep me informed. The telephone number when used rings my mobile number here in Cambodia and the caller in UK is totally ignorant as to where I am. The only downside is getting the occasional call in the early hours of the morning due to the time difference. The cost of this convenience is US$ 52 per year and is automatically renewed each year by my credit card.
Nice to know but that is effectively a $52 a year bank charge, and skype is microsoft so i do not trust it(or them) I use free sim cards and the all receive sms in my phone from the banks. It seems the banks have a deal with the mobile companies and as long as your uk number is connected to a foreign network you get the sms even if you have no credit, whcih is what I have been doing for years.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

YeP wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:27 am The Commonwealth Bank Australia gives you the option of an sms to your Australian phone which I use and it still works in Cambodia alternatively you can opt to receive the code to your Mobile app or online account which I have also used
What do you mean "online account?" Do you mean you can log into internet banking and receive it there somehow?

With your Australian phone, do you have roaming when you come to Cambodia?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
YeP
Expatriate
Australia

Post by YeP »

explorer wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:24 pm
YeP wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:27 am The Commonwealth Bank Australia gives you the option of an sms to your Australian phone which I use and it still works in Cambodia alternatively you can opt to receive the code to your Mobile app or online account which I have also used
What do you mean "online account?" Do you mean you can log into internet banking and receive it there somehow?

With your Australian phone, do you have roaming when you come to Cambodia?
Online account = Netbank Account which is accessible from my computer and yes login to receive it there
The same with my Commbank App on my phone they will send a code to it
I have Mobile Data turned off
Cant/dont make phone or send messages but can receive messages no problems
KHCHINATD
Expatriate
China

Post by KHCHINATD »

(carding)

Imitate the environment of card host and consumptive habit undertake pilfer is brushed.

I guess your card information has been accessed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic