Best Beach Area in Cambodia Near Sihanoukville?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Best Beach Area in Cambodia Near Sihanoukville?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

depends if you like hanging around chinese people or not,
if you dont mind paying, Queenco resort is still a nice enough area with restaurants etc
theres a few bars and restaurants near by up victory hill

but most of sihanoukville you will be surrounded by Chinese now, and most of the Islands you will be surrounded by backpackers, so which ever you will find less annoying,

if not go to Kampot, has a nice riverside, and the beach is only a 25-30minutes down the road in Kep, the roads around Kampot are pretty fucked at the minute though so word of warning there
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 pm depends if you like hanging around chinese people or not,
if you dont mind paying, Queenco resort is still a nice enough area with restaurants etc
theres a few bars and restaurants near by up victory hill

but most of sihanoukville you will be surrounded by Chinese now, and most of the Islands you will be surrounded by backpackers, so which ever you will find less annoying,

if not go to Kampot, has a nice riverside, and the beach is only a 25-30minutes down the road in Kep, the roads around Kampot are pretty fucked at the minute though so word of warning there

Currently staying at Mareki, it's pretty bloody nice and just over the lake there's a small beach lol.

Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

sending some guy to the beach at Kep is not doing him any favor...
at least tell him to hop a boat over to koh tonsay ...which is a bit better
the beaches suck...on the mainland
the islands are very nice...but, you have to go to chinaVille to get there....
the truth is...the beaches are nothing special to anybody who has been in the western hemisphere...

toss in 10,000,000,000 plastic bottles a day thrown on the ground or burned and you have Asia's got talent in a nutshell.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

logos wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:33 pm
pczz wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:21 pm
Scudley wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:11 am Hi
I am looking to visit Cambodia, I was looking for advice which area to visit, Im after a beach location around Sihanoukville area with a bit of life, with a nice beach, plenty of Hotels,bars, restaurants. I have visited Vietnam & Thialand before, will be flying I from HCMC, how far is the Airport from the resort ?
Thanks in advance
Scudley :wave:
Since the chinese took over Sihanoukville and turned it into a mini macao the nearest decent beach is white sands beach on Koh Chang in Thailand. You can get there via koh kong in not much more time thatn it takes to get to snooky from PP and It will be far cleaner, cheaper and more enjoyable. Unless you are chinese.....
I agree with your assessment of the place, however it's an 8 hours drive from pp via pursat or mong russei.
probably about right. I used to drive to pattaya from pp. When the road is not too bad its about the same time in a taxi to koh Kong as Snooky. Sam road and turn right at srey ambel I think. Then just hop to trat and on to kochang, sometimes direct to kochang from the border around an hour ishh. A bus to snooky can take 7 hours with the traffic these days
Scudley
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Scudley »

Thanks for all the replies, looks like the missus has her mind set on Cambodia after years of visiting Vietnam & Thailand, I'm looking to spend a few days in Siem rep, and head to one of the islands via SHV. Not having visited Cambodia before, which as a 1st time traveller do you recommend, were looking to chill, have good food, nice beer and some decent weather and a relaxed atmosphere
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Scudley wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:36 pm Thanks for all the replies, looks like the missus has her mind set on Cambodia after years of visiting Vietnam & Thailand, I'm looking to spend a few days in Siem rep, and head to one of the islands via SHV. Not having visited Cambodia before, which as a 1st time traveller do you recommend, were looking to chill, have good food, nice beer and some decent weather and a relaxed atmosphere
Depends. Pick your nationality. Rusiians on one , chinese on another, backpackers on another. Unreliable water and electric on all. You are seriously about 5 years too late
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I think Siem Reap and the islands is perfect..
if you have the cash ..fly from Siem Reap to sihanoukville...get a ride to serendipity and if possible catch a ferry to koh rong..koh rs... you can book a round trip ferry on line...cheap..
the flight from Siem Reap is short and sweet.
a bus is cheap and a great option if you want a 12 hour ride ...maybe go to Phnom Penh for a night ..and divide the bus trip...
depends on your budget and time...
i just moved to Siem Reap today ... i was on the coast almost 2 years...
I think you will have a great time.
Moltisanti72
Tourist
France

Post by Moltisanti72 »

Honestly Chinese tourists doesn't bothers me. I am really saddened by the invasion but SHV is still a really fun town imo. What you gonna do in kampot or kep? I found these two really boring! Rabbit island is really the same. I don't know why but I love the atmosphere of sihanoukville.
Chilling between occheuteal and otres never gets old for me, and I will come back for sure!

Edit : FYI, I also play poker so this is also why I love sihanoukville. Just so you know.
Genti
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by Genti »

I recommend Koh Rong Samloen - if you are looking for this island feeling.

I never stayed overnight in Sihanoukville. Why should i, when the beautiful Koh Rong Sanloem is only a short ferry ride away. I am visiting Koh Rong Sanloem since several years, unfortenatly Saracaen Bay is now crowed with bungalow resort in a row over most part of the beach. I recommend Lazy Beach, wich is still the only bungalow "resort" on this beach. the staff is very friendly and we feel welcome everytime we return there.

They close during Khmer New Year, so next month we have to switch over to Saracaen Bay, so i can post an update about Koh Rong Sanloem.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic