Westerners who are Psychopaths

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nuzen
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Westerners who are Psychopaths

Post by nuzen »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:44 am
SaigonBilly wrote:I think a lot are Disabled US Veterans with PTSD.
For the simple fact is that they have a monthly compensation from the military for having been injured while in the line of duty.
As opposed to what?

That America should give them nothing while injured protecting our freedoms?

PTSD is caused by the military giving them compensation?

So if soldiers are injured, the government should just kick them out into the street and thus solve the PTSD problem?

I don’t get it.
Well, just for the record, I'm the OP, AND neither of the two Expats I encountered that were the impetus for this thread are Americans. Me, I'm a US Army Veteran. They were neither US citizens nor, to my knowledge, Veterans who served in their own home country's military.
nuzen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nuzen »

siliconlife wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:02 am
nuzen wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:56 am
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 am OP- what is your understanding of a 'psychopath'?

Coz googling the meaning of it gives a number of different interpretations/definitions ranging from mild to serious..
I'm wondering if the OP actually means sociopath.
No, I'm the OP, and I meant Psychopath, as in Expats who threaten me, wanting to kill me, or have me dead. In all my years before, I never met such naked evil intent.
There you go! Now that you've defined "psychopath", we actually know what this whole thread is all about!
Haha, yeah Ok. I see your point. Well done, siliconlife. I'm now wondering about that user name, "siliconlife". You're not from the Silicon Valley. Care to assuage my wondering?
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

For serial murderers and violent people I am not sure how to identify them. I get worried when I meet people who have violent imagery in their conversations for no reason. When a person is overly secretive and never talks about their work, I wonder why. From what I have read, have your guard up around people that have excessive charm and are immediately likable. While they may be perfectly good people, charm and likability are also weapons of dangerous people. These are characteristics that dangerous people work hard to cultivate and the rest of us usually don't have the time for.

The killer I knew, was scary. He was volatile and violent. It seemed like he could attack anyone at anytime. It was easy to detect him because he wanted everyone to be afraid of him. Some other dangerous guys also seem to want me to know how dangerous they are.

For a scammer I think detection is different (although the killer was also a scammer): I tried to learn the tricks of an apparently non-violent scammer by asking him to use his methods to try to scam me (I knew he was a scammer because he loved to tell about his scamming victories.)

He had so many tricks that I doubt I could ever learn enough to detect all of them in a real situation. It was good to know how he thought, but I concluded that we can not outwit a scammer who puts enough effort into finding our weak points, and then using them to scam or coerce us.

(Some dirty tricks are just too dirty to defend against. It's like avoiding an accident. Sometimes you can't. We have to hope for a certain amount of luck in life.)

However, I noticed that when he started pushing me to do something I would not normally do, my emotions went up and down in a way that was different than normal for me. He triggered feelings of greed, jealousy, etc. While I can't know all his tricks, I can be aware of when my emotions are changing in ways that are not normal for me.

etc etc etc
Jeez - you think too much!!

And you sound a little scary because of that......
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

simon43 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am
For serial murderers and violent people I am not sure how to identify them. I get worried when I meet people who have violent imagery in their conversations for no reason. When a person is overly secretive and never talks about their work, I wonder why. From what I have read, have your guard up around people that have excessive charm and are immediately likable. While they may be perfectly good people, charm and likability are also weapons of dangerous people. These are characteristics that dangerous people work hard to cultivate and the rest of us usually don't have the time for.

The killer I knew, was scary. He was volatile and violent. It seemed like he could attack anyone at anytime. It was easy to detect him because he wanted everyone to be afraid of him. Some other dangerous guys also seem to want me to know how dangerous they are.

For a scammer I think detection is different (although the killer was also a scammer): I tried to learn the tricks of an apparently non-violent scammer by asking him to use his methods to try to scam me (I knew he was a scammer because he loved to tell about his scamming victories.)

He had so many tricks that I doubt I could ever learn enough to detect all of them in a real situation. It was good to know how he thought, but I concluded that we can not outwit a scammer who puts enough effort into finding our weak points, and then using them to scam or coerce us.

(Some dirty tricks are just too dirty to defend against. It's like avoiding an accident. Sometimes you can't. We have to hope for a certain amount of luck in life.)

However, I noticed that when he started pushing me to do something I would not normally do, my emotions went up and down in a way that was different than normal for me. He triggered feelings of greed, jealousy, etc. While I can't know all his tricks, I can be aware of when my emotions are changing in ways that are not normal for me.

etc etc etc
Jeez - you think too much!!

And you sound a little scary because of that......
Some people have very busy lives, fcuk all that palaver.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

nuzen wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 am
siliconlife wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:02 am
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 am OP- what is your understanding of a 'psychopath'?

Coz googling the meaning of it gives a number of different interpretations/definitions ranging from mild to serious..
No, I'm the OP, and I meant Psychopath, as in Expats who threaten me, wanting to kill me, or have me dead. In all my years before, I never met such naked evil intent.
There you go! Now that you've defined "psychopath", we actually know what this whole thread is all about!
Haha, yeah Ok. I see your point. Well done, siliconlife. I'm now wondering about that user name, "siliconlife". You're not from the Silicon Valley. Care to assuage my wondering?
I think this question is off-topic and would've been better sent in a PM, but sure: It comes from a love for science fiction, a curiosity about the universe, the great desire to meet an alien (if they exist), and because it sounds cool. It's a name I've been using online since I was a young teen. You're probably aware that carbon is the basis of all known life-forms. Scientists believe the reason for this is that it can form bonds with four different atoms at the same time, making it an extremely good "building block". Silicon shares the same ability to bond with other atoms and is one of the universe's most common elements, and so for a long time it has been speculated that silicon could be the basis for alien life - somewhere... out there... Basically the username is an expression of my interest in the possibility of life and the way it works (or could work).
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

... okay. And what's the common factor in those interactions?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:57 am

Glib and superficial charm...Lack of remorse or guilt... Pathological lying...
Callousness and a lack of empathy... Parasitic lifestyle...Poor behavioural control... Sexual promiscuity...
Lack of long term goals and many short term relationships are just a few.

Sound like a few people we all know?

Gonk... Taa.. BITM..Cam N....BITM..BITM.. Jamie..Jamie.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

ImageImageImage
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Clutch Cargo