Khmer American Dies in Phnom Penh Moto Accident

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Khmer American Dies in Phnom Penh Moto Accident

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: A tragic accident occurred on February 08, 2019, at 2:03 pm, when an unidentified Khmer American man who had only been in Cambodia for two months, died while riding a motorcycle in Khan Sen Sok, Phnom Penh.
A witness said that the victim fell on to the road after a collision with another motorbike, which threw him into the path of a passing FUSO truck. The man was run over and died instantly.

The other motorcyclist fled the accident scene, and the truck driver tried to escape but was captured. The two vehicles were impounded by police for the investigation.
RIP. Condolences to his family and friends.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Re: Khmer American Dies in Phnom Penh Moto Accident

Post by Felgerkarb »

Unidentified but they know he is Khmer American and only here two months...seems like a lot of detail for "unidentified".
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The victim is reported to be San Sophoan(or Sophorn), a 28-year-old Khmer American man who was living at No. 133, Concrete Road, Teuk Thla, Sangkat Teuk Thla, Khan Sen Sok, Phnom Penh.
Spoiler:
រថយន្ត ដែលកិននោះ ពាក់ស្លាកលេខ បាត់ដំបង 3A.01 79 រីឯជនរងគ្រោះឈ្មោះ សាន សុភ័ណ្ឌ ភេទប្រុស អាយុ២៨ឆ្នាំ ស្នាក់នៅ ផ្ទះលេខ១៣៣ ផ្លូវបេតុង ភូមិទឹកថ្លា សង្កាត់ទឹកថ្លា ខណ្ឌសែនសុខ ជិះម៉ូតូ​ម៉ាកឃ្លីច ពាក់ស្លាកលេខភ្នំពេញ1AJ -4320។
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
steve.sheps
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by steve.sheps »

Saw the aftermath on way home from work.didnt look good.body had been removed but was a mess everywhere. RIP
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Road safety.

I know that Cambodia, as a developing nation, has many problems to address, but I do wish they'd push road safety a bit further up the agenda.

I myself, was involved in an RTC on my moto almost a year ago. I broke my leg and was in hospital for getting on for a week. It was fully investigated by the police and the fault lay fairly and squarely with the driver of the SUV who decided to cross a major junction with her foot firmly on the floor while hoping for the best. (Bizarre, I know, but that's how some think out here)

I did get some compensation out of it but it wasn't nearly enough to cover my lost wages and the cost of the operations to my leg. I now know that I should have been much more demanding but I didn't know what I was doing at the time, and had no clue as to how things work out here with regards to these situations. My perpetrator got off very lightly. She must have assumed she'd not only hit a very naive foreigner, but hit the jackpot all at the same time.

It saddens me whenever I read about yet another road traffic accident. While I was in hospital, I was in a ward with three beds, and one night a poor guy was wheeled in who'd been in a very severe traffic accident. His family came in with him and they were unsure, despite the operations the surgeons had already performed, if he'd survive the night. Luckily he did, but he was in a very tragic state. I left the next day so I don't know any more about him.

Driving in Cambodia is extremely, extremely dangerous. Khmers regard the laws of the road in the same way they regard the laws of the land. It's ok if you can away with it. And if you get caught, just wave a wad of notes in front of someone's face. That should sort it.

The big difference between the laws of the road and the laws of the land is that with the laws of the road, people get killed or seriously injured.

Again, I really wish, despite Cambodia being a developing country, they'd push for a lot more stringent enforcement of road safety laws.

Simply painting some lines on the road which tell drivers / riders where they should be and who / which direction they should be giving way to might be a start.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

xandreu wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:31 am Road safety.

I know that Cambodia, as a developing nation, has many problems to address, but I do wish they'd push road safety a bit further up the agenda.

I myself, was involved in an RTC on my moto almost a year ago. I broke my leg and was in hospital for getting on for a week. It was fully investigated by the police and the fault lay fairly and squarely with the driver of the SUV who decided to cross a major junction with her foot firmly on the floor while hoping for the best. (Bizarre, I know, but that's how some think out here)

I did get some compensation out of it but it wasn't nearly enough to cover my lost wages and the cost of the operations to my leg. I now know that I should have been much more demanding but I didn't know what I was doing at the time, and had no clue as to how things work out here with regards to these situations. My perpetrator got off very lightly. She must have assumed she'd not only hit a very naive foreigner, but hit the jackpot all at the same time.

It saddens me whenever I read about yet another road traffic accident. While I was in hospital, I was in a ward with three beds, and one night a poor guy was wheeled in who'd been in a very severe traffic accident. His family came in with him and they were unsure, despite the operations the surgeons had already performed, if he'd survive the night. Luckily he did, but he was in a very tragic state. I left the next day so I don't know any more about him.

Driving in Cambodia is extremely, extremely dangerous. Khmers regard the laws of the road in the same way they regard the laws of the land. It's ok if you can away with it. And if you get caught, just wave a wad of notes in front of someone's face. That should sort it.

The big difference between the laws of the road and the laws of the land is that with the laws of the road, people get killed or seriously injured.

Again, I really wish, despite Cambodia being a developing country, they'd push for a lot more stringent enforcement of road safety laws.

Simply painting some lines on the road which tell drivers / riders where they should be and who / which direction they should be giving way to might be a start.
They operate priorite adroit here. any vehicle coming from your right has right of way. There are mosificatiosn to this regarding crossing other lanes in the International convention for left hand drive countries but cambodians seem to believe or are taught that if they are coming from your right you have to giveway so its your responsibility. the french gave it up on roundabouts years ago except i think arc de triumph. Cambodians still use it.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

pczz wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:44 am
xandreu wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:31 am Road safety.

They operate priorite adroit here. any vehicle coming from your right has right of way. There are mosificatiosn to this regarding crossing other lanes in the International convention for left hand drive countries but cambodians seem to believe or are taught that if they are coming from your right you have to giveway so its your responsibility. the french gave it up on roundabouts years ago except i think arc de triumph. Cambodians still use it.
If I'm reading this right, you're saying that traffic coming from your right has right of way? If so, why do moto riders come out of side roads (to join a main road) - turning right - simply keep going, without looking, without seemingly any concern whatsoever, as to what's approaching them from the main road?

It seems to me, out here, and observing the actions of other road users, that if you're going along a straight road, and you cross a part of the road which had side roads (on your left or right), it's down to you to slow down and allow traffic merging from a side road to merge onto the main road. Which is counter-intuitive to most other road laws in almost the entirety of the rest of the world.

In almost the rest of the world, if it's you who's changing direction, it's down to you to give way to the other motorists who aren't.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

What is a main road? the concept does not exist. it is just an intersection which has some modifications in some countries which recognise differences between major and minor roads and whethe you are turning or not. So in some countries if you are coming from the right and turning youhave to still give way to vehcles that are not runting. Nonwe of that seems to apply in Cambodia. i think they are still taugh to drive in the middle of the road because after the UN left they had both right and left hand drive cars!
https://www.permispratique.com/Tout-sav ... _a135.html
Anyone coming from the right has right of way. that is why they never look before pulling out from the curb. You could be on a six lane highway and they are on a doirt track, if they are coming from the right you have to give way. watch howe they drive. there are inconsistencies everywhere round the work. In the uk if you are on a slip road joinging a dual carriageway you have to give way to traffic on the dua carriageway. In some parts of europe the cars on the carriageway are require dto give way to you.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

To improve the driving, you need to challenge the entire way they think. It is me first, and dont care about anybody else. They need to be told to, start caring about other people.

In Australia everybody normally gives way. As a result we all drive faster, and get there quicker. The Cambodians trying to get in first actually result in the traffic going slow, and taking longer to get there.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:11 pm Unidentified but they know he is Khmer American and only here two months...seems like a lot of detail for "unidentified".
Unidentified in the sense that his friends didn't know the exact spelling of his legal name, or had a copy of his passport, I'm thinking.

I always found American Khmers to be the easiest to recognize by their bigger builds and distinct tattoo style. Khmers who grew up in US are often much larger and muscular than local counterparts but will have Angkor Wat on their back, a Khmer word on the arm along their LA clique name and so on.

2 months ago over 100 deportees arrived from America. What are the odds this was one of them?

In this pic you can tell exactly who is here from America. Heavy builds, ex con looking tattooed bangers between a bunch of local crotch scratching T-shirt folders. Obviously it was a group of returnees biking together?

Another one who didn't grow up eating prahok with rice

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic