Hunt for BMW GS After 81 Year Old Killed in Hit and Run

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Hunt for BMW GS After 81 Year Old Killed in Hit and Run

Post by Artisan »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:39 am
Artisan wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:27 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote:Think you should have a closer look at the damage to her bike, photos of her bike undamaged, and the part left at the scene.

And, to stereotype, old folk can behave like moses on national routes.

But, whatever, the rider should have stopped.
Which part is supposedly from her bike? The wheel hugger?
You blind?
I hadn't seen any of the pictures of the front of the bike untik posted after my question.
apologies accepted for my rude reply. me bad.
pebbles&nightsky
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as ... ian-police

Excerpts from the above report

In an update on Tuesday (Feb 19), CNE reported that the motorcycle was found parked outside a boutique hotel near the Phnom Penh Central Market area.

The motorbike was also missing a piece from its front, and it is believed that the piece of debris found at the scene was from the same motorbike.

Pictures of the motorbike showed that it bore stickers with the flags of Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Laos.

The BMW motorcycle model has a capacity of 1,170cc, with a maximum speed of over 200kmh. It has a weight of about 260kg and a 30-litre aluminium fuel tank and is described on the BMW website as a motorbike able to "overcome every type of terrain".

It costs more than $50,000 here inclusive of the certificate of entitlement.

CNE told The New Paper yesterday that it received a tip-off from an anonymous source on Facebook that the owner of the motorcycle had allegedly returned to Singapore to seek treatment for an injured wrist, leaving the motorbike behind.

The news has riled both Singaporean and Cambodian netizens, many of whom have demanded she return to Cambodia to assist in investigations.

Netizens have also identified a woman who lives in Singapore as the alleged owner.

Checks by TNP on her Facebook page showed the mother of two in several photos with the same motorbike found outside the hotel in Phnom Penh.

She was also affiliated with local rider groups and appeared to frequently travel by motorbike to Malaysia and Thailand.

Attempts by TNP to contact her have been unsuccessful, and her Facebook page was deactivated yesterday evening.

A close friend of the woman who did not want to be identified told TNP he was surprised to hear of the allegations.

"This is news to me... she is a close friend," he said. "I've never known her to run away from responsibilities."

The man added that she has also not responded to any of his messages since.

Another acquaintance of the woman told TNP he was unsure if she was Singaporean but confirmed that she lives in Singapore.

Singapore does not currently have an extradition treaty with Cambodia.

TNP understands that while the Cambodian authorities are still looking for the woman, they have yet to contact their counterparts in Singapore.
Kevin168
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kevin168 »

Well if she don’t plan to come back i hope she at least give some money to the victim family...
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Kevin168 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:50 pm Well if she don’t plan to come back i hope she at least give some money to the victim family...
Hit and run is a serious crime she can’t use money to pay for her guilt
Kevin168
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kevin168 »

yong wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:00 am
Kevin168 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:50 pm Well if she don’t plan to come back i hope she at least give some money to the victim family...
Any crime is a serious crime if you don’t have money to pay for it in cambodia.
She obviously loaded and can afford a 50k ride, you think there will be real judgment for her? Better money to the victim family than to those judges/lawyers.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

sell the bike, give the money to old mans family....................if she is guilty.
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Arget wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:23 am sell the bike, give the money to old mans family....................if she is guilty.
Whether guilty or not, I think the best solution is to just give the bike to the old man's family.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

She should be jailed in a Cambodian prison
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

So should the bimbo that killed the Irish guy some years back, he also had a bike and was crossing a road.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

yong wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:00 am
You're a funny guy.

:beer3:

If she had stopped, she'd have paid max 2 grand and been sorted.

Old coots wander into traffic like sacrificial lambs all the time; this kind of thing isn't without precedent.

But, as she fled, and there's some minor hoo-hah about it now, she may get a larger sum to pay out and a suspended sentence.
Last edited by Jerry Atrick on Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic