$200,000 in fines collected from foreigners w/out work per

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

$200,000 in fines collected from foreigners w/out work per

Post by Username Taken »

Oh oh, where's taabarang . . . .
Since a nationwide census of foreigners began in August, fines totalling nearly $200,000 have been paid into government coffers, an immigration official told the Post yesterday.

General Sok Phal, director general of the Ministry of Interior’s general department of immigration, said that “foreigners found not to have a work permit have to be fined”.

“According to the law, the immigration police can fine them 200,000 riel [about $49] to 500,000 riel and this money will go to the state,” Phal explained.

“So far, we have collected fines of about 750 million riel [around $184,000], and those who do not have documents could also face deportation,” he added. “Since the census process started, we have deported about 540 foreign nationals.”
Read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/o ... rk-permits

:o
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: $200,000 in fines collected from foreigners w/out work p

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

“The census is aimed at finding, if they [foreigners] work, whether they have work permits or not,” Phal said, adding that officials hope the census will be completed by the end of the year.

I imagine that the majority of the fines and deportations were foreigners working at the factories from places such as China, Vietnam, etc. (?). It would've been mentioned on forums and all over social media if there were hundreds of "Westerners" who had been fined and/or deported.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Once again one has to ask why are events in Kampot seemingly different from the rest of the country? :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

User name taken quoted,
"“So far, we have collected fines of about 750 million riel [around $184,000], and those who do not have documents could also face deportation,” he added. “Since the census process started, we have deported about 540 foreign nationals.”
This is of course chicken shit money. Yes, I'm still here and still nursing my anger for reasons explained in earlier posts. So, what I would like to know is has anyone left the country with a lot of special or work visas and been stopped at immigration in exit? Chicken shit tho it may be, it beats working for a living.
PS. I told you so...
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"I imagine that the majority of the fines and deportations were foreigners working at the factories from places such as China, Vietnam, etc. (?). It would've been mentioned on forums and all over social media if there were hundreds of "Westerners" who had been fined and/or deported."

I seriously doubt that, I doubt both that it would be mentioned and that this was the group that was targeted. There is no sense of order or regimen in this country and each province is like a fiefdom, free to enforce a law as it sees fit. This country has no future unless you are connected to the upper crust.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

taabarang wrote: has anyone left the country with a lot of special or work visas and been stopped at immigration in exit?
No, because there is no such thing as a special or work visa ;)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

taabarang wrote:I seriously doubt that, I doubt both that it would be mentioned and that this was the group that was targeted.
There was a news report recently that mentioned hundreds of Vietnamese being deported, and that factories were being targeted in the crackdown on illegal foreign workers. And you know what Westerners are like, they put everything on social media...so if they were being fined or deported we would be hearing about it.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

taabarang wrote: So, what I would like to know is has anyone left the country with a lot of special or work visas and been stopped at immigration in exit?
I left the country for a few days in August after a period of 12 and a half years without exiting the Kingdom. My current passport is about 5 years old and has numerous 12 month or 6 month visas. I had no problem exiting or re-entering the country.
My current employment has been for 7 years for a company which pays for my visa and any other legal requirements. I pay tax.
Prior to that I taught English for 7 years (all at the same school). They didn't pay for visa or anything else. I didn't have tax deducted from my salary.

Immigration has computers now (at least they do at airports), so I would imagine that by entering my name in their computer, they would probably know where I live, where I work, last time I exited the country, etc.
Meaning that I am probably 'in' the system.

But what about those who are not in the system?
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

So that why I see government higher ups with new Lexis's.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

According to today's CD another 68 rounded up recently:

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/works ... nts-71841/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic