Where have you taken your Khmer Partner?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Where have you taken your Khmer Partner?

Post by RickyBobby »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:03 am ... awaits a certain Australian poster to chip in with "up the chocolate starfish".

Back on topic; UK & Europe no issues, just a ton of paperwork + Hong Kong, China, South Korea, Australia, all of ASEAN. It's all in the prep work frankly, my only complaint is that I'm the sod that has to organise all of that, and it is mind numbing when you're repeating a country visit & have to jump through all the same hoops over and over again.
I was of the impression that once she visited China with me once, that it would be easier the second time?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:04 am Bangkok and KL.
Both trips, visa on entry, with return flights booked. Malayan visa stamp saying 30days, social purposes.

I’ll be interested in the info as this develops. I’m looking for jobs closer to home to reduce my commute, but there’s nothing for me directly in Cambodia. Working out which countries may be problematic for visas for her will affect the choices if she and the kids aren’t able to visit.
Right? I find it difficult to prosper in Cambodia, and have been turned down for her to get a visa to my country. I thought that if I could land good employment in one of the fifty countries she can visit easily, it might be a good option.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:07 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 am We've been to Thailand, China (72 hours exemption stamp during stop over in Beijing) and the Schengen zone.

Going to Schengen was extremely difficult the first time. We needed to go there to get a Schengen passport for our kid, but they wanted to deny the visa because both the mother and the kid had no Schengen passport but just the Cambodian nationality. Only after I met the head of the consular department at the German embassy and I explained the situation they settled it. Both my 'wife' and my daughter had to go on a single entry tourist visa. Kafka at its' best.
You were lucky there - I got my wife's approved first time, but they rejected my son who was still waiting for his UK passport to be delivered and only had a Khmer passport. German Embassy explained that as he was British, he must travel on British papers - the only reason they knew he was half-British was because we submitted our marriage certificate & his birth certificate as part of my wife's application. If we'd just been boyfriend/girlfriend, it wouldn't have been a problem! Doh!
Yes, that's what we were, just BF / GF, at least for the law.
But because we were not married I had needed a legalized declaration I acknowledged the kid to be mine in order for my kid to get my nationality by descend. And for that one we had to go home, service not available at the embassy. If we would have been legally married I could have ordered the passport by mail (OK, bit exaggerated, but close enough to the truth).
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:03 am ... awaits a certain Australian poster to chip in with "up the chocolate starfish".

Back on topic; UK & Europe no issues, just a ton of paperwork + Hong Kong, China, South Korea, Australia, all of ASEAN. It's all in the prep work frankly, my only complaint is that I'm the sod that has to organise all of that, and it is mind numbing when you're repeating a country visit & have to jump through all the same hoops over and over again.
Exactly that. Drives me crazy every time.....

When you enter the embassy they know exactly who you are and why you're entitled to a visa, but still you have to jump through each and every hoop they put in front of you.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

prahocalypse now wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:49 am
siliconlife wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:24 am Australia. Visa denied (despite following every rule). Contact who was official member of gov in Oz called the local MP for us. Visa approved.

Is your Khmer partner Peter Dutton's au pair?
No, so I was surprised by the approval.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

ASEAN with visa on arrival is easy. But after Singapore and Thailand, missus wants something different, not SE Asia. So next month Taiwan. Getting the VISA is actually getting a Japanese VISA arranged through a travel company.

She really wants to visit Korea and Japan. But with a 6-12 hr flight (red eye flights) there and back, that would leave maybe a day of actual sightseeing. Still working up to it.

Still not sure about Hong Kong or Macau. As Taiwanese born, not going in a tour group, how much hassle will it be to get a tourist visa? And if relations go further south with both America and Taiwan, is there a chance I could be detained once there?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:31 pm ASEAN with visa on arrival is easy. But after Singapore and Thailand, missus wants something different, not SE Asia. So next month Taiwan. Getting the VISA is actually getting a Japanese VISA arranged through a travel company.

She really wants to visit Korea and Japan. But with a 6-12 hr flight (red eye flights) there and back, that would leave maybe a day of actual sightseeing. Still working up to it.

Still not sure about Hong Kong or Macau. As Taiwanese born, not going in a tour group, how much hassle will it be to get a tourist visa? And if relations go further south with both America and Taiwan, is there a chance I could be detained once there?
Jesus Christ, you're not going to get detained in Hong Kong or Macau. I also don't understand what you are saying about getting the Taiwan visa is actually getting Japanese visa.

And visa, when referring to a travel document, isn't put in all caps. You do that for the credit card.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Tourist visa issued by the Japanese embassy can be used to visit Taiwan.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:22 pm Tourist visa issued by the Japanese embassy can be used to visit Taiwan.
Wow, I had no idea, thanks. That's interesting.

Thailand (three times)
Myanmar
Indonesia
Malaysia
Singapore (twice)
Maldives

No visa needed for any of those.

Macau - visa on arrival. They initially demanded upon arrival that she show 5000 HKD in cash but then relented.

Hong Kong - visa in advance, no issues

Singaporean immigration officer called me up to the booth and made me promise not to leave her in Singapore.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Thailand several times
Singapore
USA

Hopeful that now we've made the trip to US that Schengen, Australia, and Japan will join the list the next few years.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic