Cambodian Bell Sells for $100,000 at Christie's Auction

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Bell Sells for $100,000 at Christie's Auction

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian bell brings a high note to Peter Petrou auction at Christie's
A large bronze Cambodian ceremonial bell from the south-east Asian Bronze Age was the top-seller at the Peter Petrou: Tales of the Unexpected auction at Christie’s last week.
Picture of Frances Allitt
Frances Allitt
04 Feb 2019

Bronze Cambodian ceremonial bell – £100,000 at Christie’s.

Made in the Battambang province sometime between the 2nd century BC and 2nd century AD, the 23in (58cm) high bell features overall decoration with geometric scrolls in low relief.

It was knocked down for £100,000 against a £40,000 high estimate.

A similar example of almost identical height is in the British Museum. Known as the Klang Bell, it is a product of Dong Son culture, named after a site in northern Vietnam.
https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/pr ... christies/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Bell Sells for $100,000 at Christie's Auction

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Magnificent object whereas it probably was ugly sourced.

The barely visible carvings reminds me of one of the most mysterious antic I bought here. That is a top of a bronze drum the size of which I ever only saw in the Luang Prabang museum where they have 2 complete ones. I am talking about a 40kg hand carved bronze piece I bought in my early days for a couple hundred bucks which even then wouldn’t make much sense if a copy considering the cost of bronze and the intricate hand carving work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic