Thailand gets tougher on smoking

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thailand gets tougher on smoking

Post by phuketrichard »

I'm all for it, i still recall the days of flying when you could smoke on airplanes!! what a shit that was for 12+ hour flights and the Asian flights ARRGGHHHHHHHHHH
One reason i hated traveling in Europe, eating in smoke filled restaurant... :stir:
As of Sunday, February 3, all airports operated by Airports of Thailand (AoT) have been declared no-smoking zones with fines up to 5,000 baht for any violators.

AoT has now abolished all smoking rooms in both the offices and passenger buildings in all six airports which they manage. This comes in accordance with the 2017 Tobacco Control Act and a 2018 Public Health Ministry announcement requiring all offices of government agencies and state enterprises (which include airports) to assign no-smoking areas to protect non-smokers.
To try and cater to all, AoT are now arranging smoking areas outside the passenger buildings in the six airports.

and this
Thailand's continuing war on smokers as been ratcheted up a notch.
From now on exclusion zones for smokers will extend several meters from the entrances to buildings.
Smokers will no longer be able to just step out the door onto the street and enjoy a cigarette.
The new measures were proposed back in 2017 and have come into force on Sunday. Public health officials were at Chatujak weekend market on Saturday in a public information and awareness drive.
Smokers will not be able to light up within five meters of entrances or exits of virtually any public buildings.
It refers to buildings in both the public and private sector and includes offices, schools and hospitals.

In addition all parks, markets and bus stops are smoke free zones.
and MORE bad news for u smokers...
five brands in ten categories of cheap cigarettes produced by the Thai Tabacco Monopoly (TTM) will see a price increase of 33 baht as of October this year.

All TTM cigarettes will start at the price of 93 Baht, which Director of TTM Daonoi Suthiniphaphan said would lead to 100 baht per pack minimum in the future. Danoi told the press that the 40% price increase reflects the state’s new excise tax rates and is not for TTM’s profit.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand gets tougher on smoking

Post by Clutch Cargo »

On a recent trip to BKK, I was pleasantly surprised to see some smoke free gogos... :shock:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:33 pm On a recent trip to BKK, I was pleasantly surprised to see some smoke free gogos... :shock:
I thought they have been like that for a while. The girls used to always tell me, "Me no smoke."
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Brody wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:01 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:33 pm On a recent trip to BKK, I was pleasantly surprised to see some smoke free gogos... :shock:
I thought they have been like that for a while. The girls used to always tell me, "Me no smoke."
haha Back in the 80s they used to just say 'buddha don't like'... :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic