Garden Supplies in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Garden Supplies in Phnom Penh?

Post by IraHayes »

Adding some searchable information since I found Twin Agri using the search function.

The google maps pin for them is spot on. Not a big sign out front but head to the pin and you will see their place. Head to the airport from PP and turn right onto Hanoi St. and you'll be in the right area. As I said, Google maps is spot on so just follow their directions from Hanoi St.

50Kg sack for $10 bought today, 18th July 2020.

Nice set-up and good compost. The guy there speaks good english and showed us the worms busily eating the stuff in the large troughs. The kids were well impressed and got a lesson on worms!
Seems like a nice little number tbh... throw some old food and stuff in a trough and sit and wait for the worms to work their magic... bag and sell.

ok so maybe I over-simplified things a bit but damn good compost by the looks of what we put in the planters earlier.
The proof of the pudding, though, will be in the eating!
So we will see how things grow.

Added bit about my planters.
I am making my own planters and just lining them with plastic. 750mm(L) x 250mm(W) x 200mm(H) slatted bottoms so the holes we pierced in the plastic have somewhere to drain through. I raised them about 30mm off the floor so the bottoms wouldn't sit in the wet and if the all fall apart in a year then hey ho... we'll buy some plastic ones.
The wood was about $25 and made 4 which given the price of the plastic ones in the place above Bayon Supermarket I thought was good value. Granted I have had to make them but that was part of the fun. Oh and due to birds, cats and little fingers I have made mesh covers for them. Just 10mm square 0.8mm mesh... its a bit flimsy but it deters the fore mentioned pests! Of the 2 I have made I did the first as a box type but the second one I made half-round ... It was just easier than forming 2 x 90°bends.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:40 pm Adding some searchable information since I found Twin Agri using the search function.

The google maps pin for them is spot on. Not a big sign out front but head to the pin and you will see their place. Head to the airport from PP and turn right onto Hanoi St. and you'll be in the right area. As I said, Google maps is spot on so just follow their directions from Hanoi St.

50Kg sack for $10 bought today, 18th July 2020.

Nice set-up and good compost. The guy there speaks good english and showed us the worms busily eating the stuff in the large troughs. The kids were well impressed and got a lesson on worms!
Seems like a nice little number tbh... throw some old food and stuff in a trough and sit and wait for the worms to work their magic... bag and sell.

ok so maybe I over-simplified things a bit but damn good compost by the looks of what we put in the planters earlier.
The proof of the pudding, though, will be in the eating!
So we will see how things grow.

Added bit about my planters.
I am making my own planters and just lining them with plastic. 750mm(L) x 250mm(W) x 200mm(H) slatted bottoms so the holes we pierced in the plastic have somewhere to drain through. I raised them about 30mm off the floor so the bottoms wouldn't sit in the wet and if the all fall apart in a year then hey ho... we'll buy some plastic ones.
The wood was about $25 and made 4 which given the price of the plastic ones in the place above Bayon Supermarket I thought was good value. Granted I have had to make them but that was part of the fun. Oh and due to birds, cats and little fingers I have made mesh covers for them. Just 10mm square 0.8mm mesh... its a bit flimsy but it deters the fore mentioned pests! Of the 2 I have made I did the first as a box type but the second one I made half-round ... It was just easier than forming 2 x 90°bends.
They are so good ,you are just ashamed to post the blurry photos ?
Spoiler:
Dont tell me,, Show me
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Duncan wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:53 pm They are so good ,you are just ashamed to post the blurry photos ?
Spoiler:
Dont tell me,, Show me
The ends need sealing with a touch of paint but that’s all.
You can see the half-round cover in the background of one of the photos but the square ones were easier to form. I folded a small flange on 3 sides of the end pieces so they would add some strength to the structure. They do have a or 2 sharp points in the wires but that is also serving as a deterrent for curious fingers!
I Pricked my finger and showed it to them and they know now not to touch.

ImageImageImage
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:53 pm
Duncan wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:53 pm They are so good ,you are just ashamed to post the blurry photos ?
Spoiler:
Dont tell me,, Show me
The ends need sealing with a touch of paint but that’s all.
You can see the half-round cover in the background of one of the photos but the square ones were easier to form. I folded a small flange on 3 sides of the end pieces so they would add some strength to the structure. They do have a or 2 sharp points in the wires but that is also serving as a deterrent for curious fingers!
I Pricked my finger and showed it to them and they know now not to touch.

ImageImageImage
I tried to grow tomatoes here. They became fully grown from seed. full of flowers but not one fruit.
I have a box full of seeds to try again with. I just don't know if it is possible in this heat and humidity. I have all sorts of herb seeds. I grew corriander which ran to seed and becane useless. Basil grew well though.
I would like to try again with tomatoes
Any thoughts.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

lots of things bolt here due to the heat. The most visible is lettuce.
Are your tomatoes self pollinating?
A google search will tell you if you can identify the type on the packet.

I am going to have a look for some good gardening forums and ask there regarding growing things out here. There's bound to be a gardener on a forum who has lived somewhere with a similar climate to here.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Make sure you remove the laterals as shown and when you tomato plant gets too high nip the top off so all the growth energy goes into the tomatoes. Also pollinate each flower with a fine paint brush, keep it in a zip lock plastic bag to use again tomorrow. Don't wash it.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:58 am Make sure you remove the laterals as shown and when you tomato plant gets too high nip the top off so all the growth energy goes into the tomatoes. Also pollinate each flower with a fine paint brush, keep it in a zip lock plastic bag to use again tomorrow. Don't wash it.

Mine grew just like that, but no tomatoes. I did get about 3 or 4 carpenter bees that drilled perfect little holes in my Bamboo poles and moved in. I though that was a good sign on the pollination front. Alas, they were just there for the squatting right.

I will go through my seed collection and see about the self pollination issue.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

There are 3 things I would really like to grow and that is: tomatoes - tried and failed; coriander - grew and bolted and Rosemary - never got it out of the ground. I have a supply for coriander now and rosemary most of the time. Decent tomatoes still evade me.

Basil did well but got bored of watering it and never using much of it. It grew into a huge plant that the little birds used to play in. At least someone got some use out of it.

Anyway, here is the remaining seed collection. Only one imported tomato seed packet left, the micro ones, and a packet I bought from Aeon (I think) which may grow here as it is local.

If anything here is of interest to you then let me know and you can have them.

Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

ants

monstra mihi bona!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I tried growing tomatoes on my balcony but the full sun was too much for them. I got three little ones off the plant before I gave up. Would probably have been better in a less intense spot.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic