Scottish Teen with Phallic Fundraising Chart is Coming to Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Scottish Teen with Phallic Fundraising Chart is Coming to Cambodia

Post by prahocalypse now »

A Tayside teenager is set to take a tremendous leap of faith when she sets out for a country once run by one of the worst dictators the world has ever seen.

During the regime of Pol Pot, Cambodia was the scene of a huge genocide programme which killed between 1.5-3 million people.

On Sunday, 18-year-old Mya McDowall, a member of Perth Church of the Nazarene, will leave the comfort of her home and stable family life to spend six months working with under-privileged children in Poipet which lies on the Cambodia-Thailand border.

She is going there to work with The Evangelical Alliance Relief (Tear) Fund.

Mya said: “I will be working in the Safe Haven School with children who are the subject of interest from child traffickers.

“I will also be teaching English and maths.

“The environment is very basic and it will be very much school on a mat as lessons will be conducted with the children sitting on a mat.

“I will also be doing Sunday school work.

“It will be a pretty spartan existence but I know what is before me and I am looking forward to what will be a challenging and rewarding time.”

The McDowall family are no strangers to mission work as Mya’s older sister Ellis has previously been away on a mission in South Africa.

Mya had to do her own fundraising for her Cambodia trip and has managed to raise £4,800. That included the £400 she raised by taking part in a skydive at Strathallan airfield.

Jumping out of a plane is scary and the six months are a trip into the unknown.

Mya and James Clarkson who is headed to Romania, received a warm send-off from the church congregation.

The area Mya is going to is well known for trafficking and gambling.

The Cambodian Hope Organisation, a partner of Tear Fund, brings hope to local communities and helps to facilitate sustainable change.

Its mission is to empower families to generate an income, helping them to become independent.

In this way the community lifts itself out of poverty and is equipped for their future.

“We also aim to equip and empower the church to strengthen the quality of life in poor rural areas.”
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/d ... rafficked/
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Scottish Teen with Phallic Fundraising Chart is Coming to Cambodia

Post by hanno »

Yes, everything is there: "Pol Pot", "child traffickers", "empower families", "church". Oh, and a phallus. Carry on.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

A new ""Ellise"" on this site?
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

OMG I hope not, poor girl she's going to get stalked :stir:
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

DaveG wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:44 pm OMG I hope not, poor girl she's going to get stalked :stir:
Not attractive or stylish enough.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

She is a young girl coming to Cambodia for the first time. Lets all wish her well.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:45 pm
DaveG wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:44 pm OMG I hope not, poor girl she's going to get stalked :stir:
You're a sexist? :beer3:
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:45 pm
And doesn't make provocative posts on her public forums designed for the world to see either.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:05 pm And doesn't make provocative posts on her public forums designed for the world to see either.
Give her time.... took Ellis a while to really get famous.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:49 pm She is a young girl coming to Cambodia for the first time. Lets all wish her well.
She is going there to work with The Evangelical Alliance Relief (Tear) Fund.
I'm not saying they are rubbish, and wish her well if you want, but IMO she will get more benefit from this "mission" than the poor people she thinks she's saving.

She is not a qualified teacher, she's an 18 year old girl who hails from a missionary family, and she is coming to Cambodia to spread the gospel and the word of Jesus Christ. .That's all very cute, but IMO these groups who want to help Cambodians would be better off paying for local teachers to be properly trained.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic