Scottish Teen with Phallic Fundraising Chart is Coming to Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Scottish Teen with Phallic Fundraising Chart is Coming to Cambodia

Post by hanno »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:26 pm
explorer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:31 am If we knew in detail what goes on in all of the NGOs in Cambodia, we would probably not agree with what a lot of them are doing.

But I would not take it out on a volunteer who has not arrived yet.

There are some NGOs worth supporting.
I don't think the question raised here is whether she should come to Cambodia to help the poor but whether the poorest in Cambodia will have any benefit from 19 year olds coming to support them under the flag of a christian charity.
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

I'm in the camp of saying it will neither do much harm or much good for the local people and it will neither do much harm or much good for this girl.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:26 pm
explorer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:31 am If we knew in detail what goes on in all of the NGOs in Cambodia, we would probably not agree with what a lot of them are doing.

But I would not take it out on a volunteer who has not arrived yet.

There are some NGOs worth supporting.
I don't think the question raised here is whether she should come to Cambodia to help the poor but whether the poorest in Cambodia will have any benefit from 19 year olds coming to support them under the flag of a christian charity.
The point I think that you alluded to in an earlier post was that these so called 'charity groups' coming here too help the poor also have an ulterior motive as missionaries to convert the people they help to Christianity. Hence some would say that is not true charity if they expect something in return..

As to this girl, seems to me she's been brought up in a missionary family and probably well and truly brain washed and indoctrinated as an 18 yr old. No doubt the experiences will be good for her and she can make her own mind in the future.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

King Keil wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:07 pm The Christian church is one of the richest institutions on the planet. Why would she be so cheeky to ask somebody else to pay for her journey.
Perhaps you mean the Catholic church. There's a difference.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:17 pm
King Keil wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:07 pm The Christian church is one of the richest institutions on the planet. Why would she be so cheeky to ask somebody else to pay for her journey.
Perhaps you mean the Catholic church. There's a difference.
C of E blew all their money on the stock market in the late 90s. Had a job interview with them and this was the excuse for being a bit tight with the wages.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic