Scottish Teen with Phallic Fundraising Chart is Coming to Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Scottish Teen with Phallic Fundraising Chart is Coming to Cambodia

Post by IraHayes »

Q: what was the best thing to come out of Scotland?
Spoiler:
The A1
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

She's an 18 yo kid with as good intentions as a person could ever have. I think the thread title is unfortunate and a perversion to an otherwise quite sincere, normal albeit idealistic effort.

Most missionary trips like this have these kinds of fundraising activities built into them and their church and family communities support these endeavors.

While I agree that the money spent could do a lot more in the short term training locals to help with the pressing needs and education, in the long term, you do not know what kind of effect this kind of experience has on an impressionable sincere and genuine young person, and what kind of work they can do going forward; spreading the word back home and even returning again to do more.

Do not mix up your disdain for religious and christian organizations for this one young lady who doesn't know any better.

In any event, I submit that what is wrong here is the thread title and I submit that the admin change it because it is not right.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:56 am In any event, I submit that what is wrong here is the thread title and I submit that the admin change it because it is not right.
I know this is an attempt at humor, but how would she feel if she read it. I would like to encourage prahocalypse now to be a bit more sensitive in future.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

explorer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:07 am
RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:56 am In any event, I submit that what is wrong here is the thread title and I submit that the admin change it because it is not right.
I know this is an attempt at humor, but how would she feel if she read it. I would like to encourage prahocalypse now to be a bit more sensitive in future.
It's the typical thermometer that most fundraising campaigns use to measure the donations. Again, its a perversion of a sincere effort of a young woman, and it is unwarranted no matter how you feel about her mission.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:56 am She's an 18 yo kid with as good intentions as a person could ever have. I think the thread title is unfortunate and a perversion to an otherwise quite sincere, normal albeit idealistic effort.

Most missionary trips like this have these kinds of fundraising activities built into them and their church and family communities support these endeavors.

While I agree that the money spent could do a lot more in the short term training locals to help with the pressing needs and education, in the long term, you do not know what kind of effect this kind of experience has on an impressionable sincere and genuine young person, and what kind of work they can do going forward; spreading the word back home and even returning again to do more.

Do not mix up your disdain for religious and christian organizations for this one young lady who doesn't know any better.

In any event, I submit that what is wrong here is the thread title and I submit that the admin change it because it is not right.
While it's impossible to predict what impact this teenager will have, I think its safe to say we shouldn't expect too much. She's a teenager, she's got no experience as a professional teacher or any other professional experience, she just graduated from high school but she's probably well educated about the Word of the Lord.

I have quite some experience with Christian charity in Cambodia and each and every time I read abut it I get an instant allergic reaction. Several of these NGO's do not support all poor, but just the poor coming to church / converting. NGO's asking something in return for helping the poorest get me in an angry rage in seconds.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

explorer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:07 am I would like to encourage prahocalypse now to be a bit more sensitive in future.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:13 am
RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:56 am She's an 18 yo kid with as good intentions as a person could ever have. I think the thread title is unfortunate and a perversion to an otherwise quite sincere, normal albeit idealistic effort.

While it's impossible to predict what impact this teenager will have, I think its safe to say we shouldn't expect too much. She's a teenager, she's got no experience as a professional teacher or any other professional experience, she just graduated from high school but she's probably well educated about the Word of the Lord.

I have quite some experience with Christian charity in Cambodia and each and every time I read abut it I get an instant allergic reaction. Several of these NGO's do not support all poor, but just the poor coming to church / converting. NGO's asking something in return for helping the poorest get me in an angry rage in seconds.
I think we are on the same page here in that this young woman is being exploited too. But shes a kid and should be given a pass and a chance to grow and learn. That's life. Shes raised with these values and one can only hope she is encouraged to find her own truth, and I do believe that spreading your wings and seeing the world will be of a huge benefit to her in doing so.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:24 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:13 am

I think we are on the same page here in that this young woman is being exploited too. But shes a kid and should be given a pass and a chance to grow and learn. That's life. Shes raised with these values and one can only hope she is encouraged to find her own truth, and I do believe that spreading your wings and seeing the world will be of a huge benefit to her in doing so.
True.
But the issue is not whether she will benefit from it, She's is a quite favorable position already. She claims to be helping the poor and that's where the questions lie.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If we knew in detail what goes on in all of the NGOs in Cambodia, we would probably not agree with what a lot of them are doing.

But I would not take it out on a volunteer who has not arrived yet.

There are some NGOs worth supporting.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:31 am If we knew in detail what goes on in all of the NGOs in Cambodia, we would probably not agree with what a lot of them are doing.

But I would not take it out on a volunteer who has not arrived yet.

There are some NGOs worth supporting.
I don't think the question raised here is whether she should come to Cambodia to help the poor but whether the poorest in Cambodia will have any benefit from 19 year olds coming to support them under the flag of a christian charity.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic