Chikungunya Virus Alert in Thai-Cambodia Border Region

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chikungunya Virus Alert in Thai-Cambodia Border Region

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News: Thailand is reporting an outbreak of the mosquito borne Chikungunya virus in Surin province, a border region of Thailand with Cambodia. As everybody knows that mosquitoes do not obey border control laws, it is more than likely that the virus will already or soon be present on the Cambodian side of the border.

On January 31, 2019, it was reported that the Chikungunya virus was spreading in 4 sub-districts of Srikonbhumi district, Surin province, with over 120 victims diagnosed with the virus so far.

Officials say that the virus was carried to the area by a child who returned home to his village in Surin from Bangkok. The virus spread extremely fast, attacking 3 villages and is spreading to other areas in the district. At first, many villagers started to feel sick and most houses in the contaminated villages were affected, but nobody could understand why.
After conducting blood tests, the Ministry of Public Health in the district discovered that the illness was caused by the Chikungunya virus . Over 120 victims have been registered by health authorities, most of them are children or elderly people.

Thai officials have sprayed the affected areas with mosquito spray and cleared up areas of stagnant water that acts as a breeding site for the mosquitoes. Symptoms of Chikungunya are similar to that of Dengue Fever; patients become ill with fever symptoms followed with pain in muscles and joints that can last up to months.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Chikungunya Virus Alert in Thai-Cambodia Border Region

Post by Kuroneko »

Already present since 1961, copy of a 2011 study here:

Reemergence of Chikungunya Virus in Cambodia Emerg Infect Dis. 2012 Dec; 18(12): 2066–2069.

Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), probably Asian genotype, was first detected in Cambodia in 1961. Despite no evidence of acute or recent CHIKV infections since 2000, real-time reverse transcription PCR of serum collected in 2011 detected CHIKV, East Central South African genotype. Spatiotemporal patterns and phylogenetic clustering indicate that the virus probably originated in Thailandhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3557864/
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

So apart from, Snakes, spiders, the food, the heat, land mines, traffic and viruses of various descriptions all trying to kill me I'm perfectly safe over here, O and not lets forget the dreaded "Heart Attack"
Its like SAS selection living here, and that's just going to the shop to get some milk. :evil6:

PS, Have I forgot anything :shock:
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

DaveG wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:23 pm So apart from, Snakes, spiders, the food, the heat, land mines, traffic and viruses of various descriptions all trying to kill me I'm perfectly safe over here, O and not lets forget the dreaded "Heart Attack"
Its like SAS selection living here, and that's just going to the shop to get some milk. :evil6:

Only Street 104.............
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

DaveG wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:23 pm So apart from, Snakes, spiders, the food, the heat, land mines, traffic and viruses of various descriptions all trying to kill me I'm perfectly safe over here, O and not lets forget the dreaded "Heart Attack"

Parasites and food poisoning are two more that have tried to kill me personally.

And then there's always the proverbial favorites;
"After a thorough forensic examination, the competent authorities concluded that the man died of wind."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic