Gout and Staph infection.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Gout and Staph infection.

Post by TOG »

People can Google gout and spout volumes about what you can and cannot eat/drink/do but unless you have suffered from it, no one knows just how painful it is or what to do.

Four years ago, I developed gout and even the lightest touch of a cotton sheet on my big toe had my screaming in pain. The doctor prescribed NSAIDS (non specific anti inflammatory drugs). Naproxen had no effect but Colchicine did reduce the swelling and pain.

Research it. As already stated gout is a build up of uric acid crystals in between the nerve fibres and this is caused by numerous items. Rich food and alchohol are the main causes. No foods rich in purines (liver, heart, game meats, sardines, mussels, anchovies, herring, beer wine and spirits . Also stay off curries. You can have a simple blood test to see what level you are at.

Aint life sad.....Hey, it's up to you. Enjoy your rich foods and suffer pain beyond belief or cut back on purines, eat more fruit (black cherries are the best of you can ever get them) potatoes in tumeric are very good. Just research the food issues.

Finally, I have been bitten by a bullet ant and gout is a magnitude of levels of pain above that pesky insect. So if you have not had gout, you are damned lucky, you have no idea what real pain is.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Should of course read Non Steroidal not Specific.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:44 am
Are you sure it was a mosquito bite and not a bite caused by a blister beetle. These are common around the Mekong river, at certain times of year. These "bites" which are actually a secretion of Cantharidin from the beetle which cause blistering and often invoke an immune response. The effects can last a considerable time.

Cantharidin is an irritant substance, and it can cause human skin to blister when they come into contact with one another. It’s this effect of cantharidin that gives the blister beetle its name, and it’s these welts that people are referring to when they talk about being bitten by a blister beetle. While it’s not a bite, this chemical burn can be extremely painful, and over the years, it certainly hasn’t won the blister beetle any fans.https://www.pestwiki.com/blister-beetle-bites/

The effect of contact with these insects causes blisters which when burst often become infected.

[/quote]

Anyone been bitten by this beetle? Got bitten by something at Kep and this seems to be the most likely culprit. Not the worst thing I've had but I'll be happy when they're healed over.
Know of anything else that causes similar symptoms? Not having much joy with google.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

bittermelon wrote:
Kuroneko wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:44 am
Are you sure it was a mosquito bite and not a bite caused by a blister beetle. These are common around the Mekong river, at certain times of year. These "bites" which are actually a secretion of Cantharidin from the beetle which cause blistering and often invoke an immune response. The effects can last a considerable time.

Cantharidin is an irritant substance, and it can cause human skin to blister when they come into contact with one another. It’s this effect of cantharidin that gives the blister beetle its name, and it’s these welts that people are referring to when they talk about being bitten by a blister beetle. While it’s not a bite, this chemical burn can be extremely painful, and over the years, it certainly hasn’t won the blister beetle any fans.https://www.pestwiki.com/blister-beetle-bites/

The effect of contact with these insects causes blisters which when burst often become infected.
Anyone been bitten by this beetle? Got bitten by something at Kep and this seems to be the most likely culprit. Not the worst thing I've had but I'll be happy when they're healed over.
Know of anything else that causes similar symptoms? Not having much joy with google.
Rove beetle is common in the wet season. Secretions cause dermatitis linearis. I've had it a number of times. Not fun.
https://www.pestwiki.com/rove-beetles-b ... -features/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic