NEW: E-Gate System Installed for Cambodian Passport Holders

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: NEW: E-Gate System Installed for Cambodian Passport Holders

Post by hanno »

Like someone else said: this was done before and never worked.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Anyone know when they started issuing passports that meet the requirements for these machines?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

TWY wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:08 pm Anyone know when they started issuing passports that meet the requirements for these machines?
They introduced the new biometeic passports about 5 years ago if I recall correctly. Better quality than US, UK and many other countries passports too!
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Thank you for the reply, we'll give it a try next time through!
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Well, we tried :)

Landed at Siem Reap. Directly on the left as you enter are three machines. We went to the middle one. Gentleman in front of us went through.

My wife tried her passport and couldn't get it to scan - so I tried. She had it to the left against the side so I tried in the middle of the scanner not touching either side and it went through. She then put her finger in the finger scanner and it worked and gates opened. But of course we have two children so she didn't go through. Scanned first child's passport and it went through. Scanned his finger - wouldn't take. Had to scan the passport again. Again finger wouldn't scan. Ok, tried the other child. Same results.

So I motion to a nearby immigration official (who it turns out is supposed to be monitoring these machines but is currently speaking with one of his buddies). He frowns and slowly comes over. My wife explains the children's fingers aren't scanning - he says NO BABIES! And is not happy that he now has to take my wife's passport and children and go to a booth to send them through. About the only good thing is that last time we came through got all kinds of hassles about having dual citizenship for the kids and using "the wrong passport with no stamps" (when we were using the correct passports). This time he basically wasn't even paying attention and just did whatever he needed to get rid of my wife and return to his conversation. I walked down further and went through fairly quickly.

So if you have young kids with Khmer passports you may not actually be able to use the machines.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

In the UAE, France, and a few other places, the system allows non-nationals to register and thus expedite the process. It’s a completely new concept for many folks, and surely will take a while to work efficiently. Hopefully, in the future, this will work for frequent visitors too. Really, only frequent travellers are going to understand how it works, so ‘efficient’ is likely to be a very low number, and not even close to %100.

It also requires a robust system in place for the departments involved. So if the folks monitoring the process are lazy, indolent, muppets in fancy uniforms, it goes without saying that it will take a while to actually show any benefits.

The bottle necks in the system in the UK can be quite well anticipated.
The system requires a number of officials to be monitoring the system. So when manpower levels are low, there are fewer gates active. This seems to happen when a deluge of SLF arrives in a short time, and extra staff aren’t in place yet, or at shift changes. At times like that, I sometimes head straight to the manual queue. They rarely ever anticipate the sudden increase in passengers, despite all the computerised systems processing data!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Took me about 1 minute to clear passport control flying into Pochentong this morning.

But, as of today, New immigration arrivals card to fill out. Its yellow in colour, which seems to be the only difference, but they won't accept the old ones which the airlines are still handing out.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

TWY wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:42 am My wife explains the children's fingers aren't scanning - he says NO BABIES!
So if you have young kids with Khmer passports you may not actually be able to use the machines.
You angry bro? This is normal worldwide practice and is done to prevent child-smuggling. The UK faced some flak when they reduced the minimum age to 12 years.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

31 July 2019

Video Report: Phnom Penh-Siem Reap International Airport Automatic Monitoring System
From the General Department of Immigration
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic