Australian, Garry Paul Mulroy, Arrested for Child Sex Abuse in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Australian, Garry Paul Mulroy, Arrested for Child Sex Abuse in Siem Reap

Post by willyhilly »

It’s 2020 and the whole school/ NGO/ fraudulent behaviour and abuse of kids is still going on in Cambodia. It’s beyond belief really.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

j57 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:52 pm interesting thread..
it seems some are part of a lynch mob ready to kill this guy.
i think the picture is not a smart move but you cannot understand the feeling of the people in it at the time it was taken..
perhaps, it is just pure innocent and humans having a great time...
Going through his Facebook looking at his posts seems creepier to me than him putting them up there...provided he is not a sex maniac child molester...
It is like a guy jacking off to a Sears catalogue or issue of Vogue magazine...
The catalogue and magazine are filled with ads selling clothes ....but people pleasure themselves to them nonetheless..
Let the court do its job..
I suspect he will be found guilty due to the atmosphere that permeates this forum and the public....
Old dudes need to stay the fuck away from kids of both sexes or face the consequences and lynch mob mentality.
I, for one, hope he is innocent REGARDLESS OF THE VERDICT...
Easy to say ,,, but in my 16 years here I have raised 4 Cambodian girls , all sisters ,,who are the nieces of my g/f , and they are like my own daughters.
The oldest now at 20 years of age lives with me in PP and there is no way I could walk away from them and let them fend for themselves. There have been many times when I am with the two younger ones and I know I am being filmed on a smartphone , but what can one do. It starts to get to you after a while when you realise that at anytime someone could make a accusation and you could end up in the shit even though you are innocent

And speaking of kids the 3 of them have just shown up right now and they say they are staying till Monday as it's Womans day then. No school.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Australian man to face trial in Cambodia
Luke Hunt
AAP
Tuesday, 17 March 2020 9:36 pm
An Australian former Catholic school teacher will face trial on pedophile charges next week after an appeals court in Phnom Penh rejected two annulment attempts, deigning one was outside the court's jurisdiction and in the second he had no right to question police interviews, his lawyer says.

Mulroy, from Lismore in northern New South Wales, was not allowed to attend Tuesday's closed hearing and instead awaited the decision from his prison cell in the northwest city of Siem Reap.

His lawyer So Mosseny said he was disappointed by the decisions, adding there was no right of appeal for annulment.

"They rejected it, I didn't think that's a fair decision," he said. "You can not appeal, there are no checks and balances."

The Investigative Chambers of the Phnom Penh Appeals Court ruled on two submissions. The first was to annul the charges amid defence claims of a lack of police evidence. The second was made on the police evidence itself and follow-up interviews with witnesses, arguing it was coerced.

Mulroy's case won the attention of Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison after an independent report commissioned by the defence found no evidence to support the charges and that Mulroy was the victim of an extortion bid amid petty rivalries among foreign-run charities.
https://7news.com.au/news/crime/austral ... a-c-749904
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Alleged Aust pedophile in Cambodian court
By AAP
6:33pm Apr 8, 2020
The defence of alleged Australian pedophile Garry Mulroy, who faces 15 years in jail if convicted, has been bolstered after his chief accusers withdrew legal objections and apparent witnesses failed to appear in court, his lawyer says.

Mulroy's lawyer So Mosseny said this included representatives from Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE), which claimed the former Australian Catholic teacher brought boys, aged 11 to 14, to his home where he allegedly abused them in November 2018.
He said the children had also not appeared in the provincial court of Siem Reap in northwest Cambodia.
"This morning went very well," Mosseny said on Wednesday.
"We went through all the points with Garry testifying for two hours about how he came to establish Education House".
He said that included the differences between outsiders sponsoring his NGO, which had been construed as evidence of payment for sex.

Mulroy's defence earlier commissioned a report by Ross Milosevic, a Gold Coast-based risk management consultant, into his arrest which found the charges were a bid by police, NGOs, judiciary and government officials to extort money.

It found police interviews with the six boys were not conducted with any legal or adult supervision and made "under extreme duress, intimidation and extortion" to secure charges against Mulroy.

It also found Education House was targeted by competing orphanages amid petty rivalries among foreign run NGOS in Siem Reap.
In full: https://www.9news.com.au/world/alleged- ... dc0031822f
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

SENTENCED
Australian teacher, 64, is found guilty of indecent assault and is jailed for two years in Cambodia - but child prostitution charges are dropped
By Australian Associated Press
Published: 11:21 BST, 12 May 2020

A Cambodian court has found former Australian teacher Garry Mulroy guilty of a lesser charge of indecent assault and sentenced him to two years' imprisonment, but allegations of child prostitution have been dropped.

'He was prepared for the verdict. He is upset but doing okay,' his risk management adviser Ross Milosevic told AAP on Tuesday.

Mulroy had faced up to 15 years' imprisonment on allegations he had molested six boys at a home school he was building. The court in Siem Reap ordered that time served be taken into account.

A Cambodian court has found former Australian teacher Garry Mulroy guilty of a lesser charge of indecent assault and sentenced him to two years' imprisonment, but allegations of child prostitution have been dropped

Mulroy will be eligible for release in June next year, but he is considering an appeal, according to friends.

The more serious charge was dropped after Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE) withdrew legal representation, despite initially accusing the former Australian Catholic teacher from Lismore of child sex offences against the boys, aged 11-14.
Police chief Colonel Chea Heng of the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Division in Siem Reap also failed to attend any of the hearings.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... bodia.html

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 am SENTENCED
Australian teacher, 64, is found guilty of indecent assault and is jailed for two years in Cambodia - but child prostitution charges are dropped

The more serious charge was dropped after Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE) withdrew legal representation, despite initially accusing the former Australian Catholic teacher from Lismore of child sex offences against the boys, aged 11-14.
Police chief Colonel Chea Heng of the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Division in Siem Reap also failed to attend any of the hearings.
Surprise surprise - another bullshit fitup by APLE
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:A Cambodian court has found former Australian teacher Garry Mulroy guilty of a lesser charge of indecent assault and sentenced him to two years' imprisonment, but allegations of child prostitution have been dropped
I’ve heard about indecency. I’ve heard about child prostitution. I’ve heard about assault.

What is indecent assault? Is that a euphemism for sexual assault?

Cursing at a child?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

September 2 2020 - 10:10PM
Australian appeals Cambodia indecency case
Luke Hunt

A Cambodian appeals court has heard an appeal from former Australian school teacher Garry Mulroy who was convicted of indecently assaulting six boys aged between 11 and 14.

Mulroy was jailed in May for two years by a court in northwest Siem Reap but he was acquitted of the more serious charge of procuring child prostitution after an independent report cast doubts over the case and alleged a conspiracy to extort money.

Following its release, Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE), an NGO which made the initial charge, withdrew legal representation and Colonel Chea Heng of the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Division in Siem Reap failed to attend any of the hearings.

So Mosseny, from Mulroy's defence, appealed the decision after the court, prosecutors and police failed to say which of the six boys had been assaulted and how, but he added that a full acquittal would be difficult.

"Given the evidence presented in court he should be acquitted of everything but my hope is to at least maintain the status quo given the position of the prosecution," he told AAP.

Prosecutors have also appealed, arguing charges of child prostitution should stand and that the sentence handed down for indecent assault was too lenient.

"When I heard the position of the prosecutors, that he should be found guilty of all charges, I knew it will be difficult to acquit Mr Mulroy," So Mosseny said.

With time already served taken into account, the former Catholic teacher from Lismore would have been eligible for release next July.

If Mulroy's appeal fails and a conviction of engaging children for sex is obtained then he faces up to 15 years behind bars.

All six children and their parents were in court. The Australian embassy in Phnom Penh also sent an observer to the hearing which is being held in the provincial city of Battambang.

So Mosseny said the judges in the appeal hearing had given ample time for both sides to present their arguments although he had been cut short during questioning.

"Today was practically a retrial. We had to start everything from scratch, again," he said.

Mulroy's case has generated widespread interest after copies of the report were sent to Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and other cabinet ministers.

He had initially worked for an orphanage but left after disagreements over finances and treatment of the children. He then established his own school, Education House, amid petty rivalries among foreign run NGOS in Siem Reap.

The report also said police interviews with the boys were not conducted with any adult supervision and made "under extreme duress, intimidation and extortion" in order to secure a conviction against Mulroy.

A decision on the appeal will be delivered on September 29.

Australian Associated Press
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:33 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:A Cambodian court has found former Australian teacher Garry Mulroy guilty of a lesser charge of indecent assault and sentenced him to two years' imprisonment, but allegations of child prostitution have been dropped
I’ve heard about indecency. I’ve heard about child prostitution. I’ve heard about assault.

What is indecent assault? Is that a euphemism for sexual assault?

Cursing at a child?
indecent assault noun
Definition of indecent assault
: an offensive sexual act or series of acts exclusive of rape committed against another person without consent
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... %20assault

As you are from Texas, this may be helpful in understanding the crime according to the Statae of Texas

Section 22.012 - Indecent Assault
(a) A person commits an offense if, without the other person's consent and with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person, the person:
(1) touches the anus, breast, or any part of the genitals of another person;
(2) touches another person with the anus, breast, or any part of the genitals of any person;
(3) exposes or attempts to expose another person's genitals, pubic area, anus, buttocks, or female areola; or
(4) causes another person to contact the blood, seminal fluid, vaginal fluid, saliva, urine, or feces of any person.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) If conduct that constitutes an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under another law, the actor may be prosecuted under this section, the other law, or both.
Texas Penal Code § 22.012

Not a "euphemism" at all and a term used in the Texas Penal Code.

In Texas the maximum penalty for those convicted include up to one year in jail and a maximum fine of $4000. Additionally, the alleged victim of the crime can ask a judge to issue a protective order against the alleged perpetrator.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Whether he's guilty or innocent, been set-up by someone or the victim of a huge miscarriage of justice, the moral of this story, as is with all stories of this nature, is just stay away from other people's kids in Cambodia. Especially if you're a white foreign male.

If you want to help them, there are many ways you can do it by taking a back seat and allowing others to do the 'hands on' stuff. And if you your job does involve having close contact with them, never ever allow yourself to be in a position, such as being alone with a child, where someone can make false claims against you.

Personally, I just wouldn't take the risk. My motto has always been simply; stay away.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic