used idiom

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

used idiom

Post by taabarang »

I was talking with my wife and her niece this morning when that young relative excitedly informed us she had just bought "turasapdai kalip muy, tai thauk min.." (a quality mobi, but very cheap.)

Since I'm looking for a new phone I pressed her for more details. She said it was a good price because it was " m'teuk"; now of course I know the usual meaning of " teuk" but I'd never heard it used in that context. It turns out that it means used just like " joju" except it only used with mechanical objects. Please note that this is
spoken only. Joju is used for clothes for example.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: used idiom

Post by pczz »

taabarang wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 pm I was talking with my wife and her niece this morning when that young relative excitedly informed us she had just bought "turasapdai kalip muy, tai thauk min.." (a quality mobi, but very cheap.)

Since I'm looking for a new phone I pressed her for more details. She said it was a good price because it was " m'teuk"; now of course I know the usual meaning of " teuk" but I'd never heard it used in that context. It turns out that it means used just like " joju" except it only used with mechanical objects. Please note that this is
Its cambodia, phone was cheap, maybe the correct translation is "stolen", "borrowed' or "pawned" =)
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"ts cambodia, phone was cheap, maybe the correct translation is "stolen", "borrowed' or "pawned" =)"

1. No, I married into a good family.
2. No it was compared and contrasted
to joju.
3. It was purchased from a dealer.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

taabarang wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:31 pm "ts cambodia, phone was cheap, maybe the correct translation is "stolen", "borrowed' or "pawned" =)"

to joju.
Sorry, I did not mean to imply anything negative about your family. Second hand goods are very dodgy in KOW, wherever they come from because there is so much thieving of phones and computers here.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

pczz wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:55 pm
taabarang wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:31 pm "ts cambodia, phone was cheap, maybe the correct translation is "stolen", "borrowed' or "pawned" =)"

to joju.
Sorry, I did not mean to imply anything negative about your family. Second hand goods are very dodgy in KOW, wherever they come from because there is so much thieving of phones and computers here.
Look, my interest is in dealing with problems of translation, with an emphasis on idiomatic usage. Even if the phone fit your suspicions of illegality it wouldn't change the meaning of m'teuk since it was used. Apology accepted, let's move on.
CBEQ
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CBEQ »

My wife said m'teuk just means second hand for everything. She said joju means 3rd, 4th, or 5th hand.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

My missus says interchangeable.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

:asshole:
CBEQ wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:50 pm My wife said m'teuk just means second hand for everything. She said joju means 3rd, 4th, or 5th hand.
I was given to understand differently, by 3 educated native speakers. It may be a matter of locality; meaning can be fluid. In any case I will stick to my understanding and you will doubtlessly rely on your authority.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 pm I was talking with my wife and her niece this morning when that young relative excitedly informed us she had just bought "turasapdai kalip muy, tai thauk min.." (a quality mobi, but very cheap.)

haha i can help out with this one, as its quite simple when you know...
Mouy Dtuk (or as she colloquially put it M'Dtuk) is simply មួយទឹក,
Dtuk as well as water, also means "Round" (in a boxing match) មួយទឹក Mouy Dtuk = One Round (in boxing),
so basically the phone has been owned once before (only done one round) and you are now the 2nd owner
:thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

to add to the above, ive stopped this video where you can see the sign, [ទឹកទី 1] - [Dtuk Ti 1] and with the commentator saying a number of times "Dtuk Ti Mouy" = 1st Round...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic