used idiom

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: used idiom

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

As mentioned, it simply means "second hand".
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Thanks for the input guys. I had always used joju so I was a bit lost.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kay Kay
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kay Kay »

taabarang wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 pm I was talking with my wife and her niece this morning when that young relative excitedly informed us she had just bought "turasapdai kalip muy, tai thauk min.." (a quality mobi, but very cheap.)

Since I'm looking for a new phone I pressed her for more details. She said it was a good price because it was " m'teuk"; now of course I know the usual meaning of " teuk" but I'd never heard it used in that context. It turns out that it means used just like " joju" except it only used with mechanical objects. Please note that this is
spoken only. Joju is used for clothes for example.
ម៉ាទឹក/Ma-toek/= មួយទឹក /muoy toek/= ជជុះ​ /Chou chuh/--> second-hand (not brand new)
កាឡីប /ka-lib/ : cool, nice, very cool, da bomb ..
Learn more Khmer? Learn for free on my YouTube channel LIFELONGLEARNING-KHMER
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic