Short Story

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Short Story

Post by taabarang »

"I'm glad to have friends who understand Cambodia who will read my stuff.

For those of you who don't know me, I lived in Cambodia from 1994 through 2001, and have been back several times since then. Ken and I started Canby Publications in 1996. It's named for my hometown in Oregon.

Good morning CC writer. Cambodia is in definite need of coherent material by foreigners who arrived during UNTAC or just shortly afterwards.I arrived in late 96 and have been here ever since and have lived remote and rurally with my wife and two teenage kids for the last 20 years.

Anyway should you ever feel the need to get away from it all and can bear the rigors of an isolated and rustic life you would be most welcome as a guest in our home. You would have your own cabin(a vestige of a once prosperous homestay).. No strings or bills attached. And I can further assure you that my wife's cooking certainly excels the culinary standards of Capitol's "cuisine."

As for me I have a MA in Comparative Literature
and speak 5 languages at a native or advanced level. I have recently been diagnosed with cancer of the urinary tract but have not yet experienced any debilitating symptoms. Plus if you need a place to polish up your literary efforts you will be left alone. The offer is open until my health conditions change. Cheers
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Taabarang--that is a wonderful invitation, and I'll let you know when I'll be in country.

I have been revising my book all day, and it's going well. I'm neither a journalist nor a historian, but I'm a person who spent a good long time in Cambodia. Not as long as you!

It sounds like you're living in a beautiful locale. Should you require or desire a place to stay in the Pacific NW, we have a lot of room on the farm. You and yours are welcome here, too!
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Just read it and it was a fun read. Even has taxi girls in it, lol. What's not to like about it? :D

It had this line in it:

...fell to his knees, and said “Som toe,” which means “please.”

I thought 'som toe' meant 'sorry,' but I guess it has 2 meanings?

I'm on a roll this year and have already finished 4 books so far and started on a 5th, so glad to read something short like this for a change. (Best so far this year was Sapiens: A History of Mankind, in case anyone was curious, LoL.) I'm a sucker for Amazon Prime's First Reads each month and always get stuck reading some random novel from their picks.

PS- Barang Chacoot was being a total ass, and while I respect that you're so easy going, CC, nobody wants to read that crap, so he's on Mod Preview until he can show that he's ready to behave. :whip:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

Good story. Thx for sharing. I would prefer another ending so they fly away and are finally really free. At least some of them. Otherwise it seems that you, the writer, think they don’t want to be free because they are used to that life in a cage. But isn’t it the hope that everything can get better that pushes us to be better than yesterday or to have a better life than yesterday. Give us some hope lady. Gl with your book.
“If the world was a girl, I’d stick my d..k in the ground. F..k the World.”

“Borders do not make us safe rather they keep us as slaves”
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

DrRawBlueGreen wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 am Good story. Thx for sharing. I would prefer another ending so they fly away and are finally really free. At least some of them. Otherwise it seems that you, the writer, think they don’t want to be free because they are used to that life in a cage. But isn’t it the hope that everything can get better that pushes us to be better than yesterday or to have a better life than yesterday. Give us some hope lady. Gl with your book.
An alternative conclusion : )

I have a soft spot for anyone that reads my work. I'm grateful!

Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

General Mackevili wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:52 am
Just read it and it was a fun read. Even has taxi girls in it, lol. What's not to like about it? :D

It had this line in it:

I'm on a roll this year and have already finished 4 books so far and started on a 5th, so glad to read something short like this for a change. (Best so far this year was Sapiens: A History of Mankind, in case anyone was curious, LoL.) I'm a sucker for Amazon Prime's First Reads each month and always get stuck reading some random novel from their picks.

PS- Barang Chacoot was being a total ass, and while I respect that you're so easy going, CC, nobody wants to read that crap, so he's on Mod Preview until he can show that he's ready to behave. :whip:
Yes, pretty sure that som toe does mean sorry, but I'm hoping Jamie will step in. Jamie's the man!

Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

violet wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:38 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:55 pm Cinnamoncat and Violet - we should do a CEO ladies meetup.
CC, let us know the book launch date. Didn't you say you would be back in Cambodia for that?
I will let you know as we get closer, and yes, I plan to be in Cambodia for that.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:51 am

It had this line in it:

Yes, pretty sure that som toe does mean sorry, but I'm hoping Jamie will step in. Jamie's the man!
សុំទោស Som Toah - can mean a number of things like "Sorry" or "Excuse me/Pardon me..."
សុំ Som(1) - means to ask/beg for something
ទោស Toah - means "Fault" "Error" "Guilt" "Blame" etc
so basically Som Toas is you Asking/Begging for forgiveness

សូម Som(2) - whilst generally it can be used interchangeably with the សុំ Som(1) above, សូម Som(2) is the word that by its self means "Please" and is used at the start of a sentence as a pre sentence Particle,
for example if you was to order a beer at the bar you would say "Som(2) Beer Mouy Orkun"
verbally they are exactly the same, but when written down (in Khmer or translating) they are slightly different

So basically the answer to your question is "Som Toe" doesnt really mean please, it means more like i'm sorry/excuse me, "Som(2)" by its self means please when used as a pre sentence particle, but when paired with a word it means the same as Som(1) and can be used interchangeably

:hattip:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:

It had this line in it:

សុំទោស Som Toah - can mean a number of things like "Sorry" or "Excuse me/Pardon me..."

សូម Som(2) - whilst generally it can be used interchangeably with the សុំ Som(1) above, សូម Som(2) is the word that by its self means "Please" and is used at the start of a sentence as a pre sentence Particle,
for example if you was to order a beer at the bar you would say "Som(2) Beer Mouy Orkun"
verbally they are exactly the same, but when written down (in Khmer or translating) they are slightly different

So basically the answer to your question is "Som Toe" doesnt really mean please, it means more like i'm sorry/excuse me, "Som(2)" by its self means please when used as a pre sentence particle, but when paired with a word it means the same as Som(1) and can be used interchangeably

While som does mean please, as I understand it, if you use it by itself you are asking for something for free.

For example ‘Som gay’ - means ask from them, but is understood to ask them to donate or give for free. Does anyone else have same understanding?

I’ve been to a shop and said ‘som coca muoy’ to which she replied with a laugh ‘som ort ban, Ming lowit ban, khmuoy dinh ban’

By which they meant I won’t give you a coke, I’ll sell you a coke, you can buy a coke. Us foreigners - myself included - are so keen to use ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ in contexts which Khmer people never would.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:45 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote:

It had this line in it:

While som does mean please, as I understand it, if you use it by itself you are asking for something for free.

For example ‘Som gay’ - means ask from them, but is understood to ask them to donate or give for free. Does anyone else have same understanding?

I’ve been to a shop and said ‘som coca muoy’ to which she replied with a laugh ‘som ort ban, Ming lowit ban, khmuoy dinh ban’

By which they meant I won’t give you a coke, I’ll sell you a coke, you can buy a coke. Us foreigners - myself included - are so keen to use ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ in contexts which Khmer people never would.
tbh ive never heard that and never had that happen to me, and i use Som a lot
Som at the start of a sentence is a polite request particle or as my dictionary states :- a polite term used to introduce a sentence. It means 'please,' would you...,' 'would you please.'

the old lady was probably just cracking a joke sayin she can give you one but youre gonna have to pay for it lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic