Bangkok Air Pollution

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Bangkok Air Pollution

Post by TOG »

Anyone thinking of visiting Bangkok in the near future may want to think again.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... k-11184006

This is almost a warning to all big cities that too much traffic and too little done about pollution will come back and bite you hard.

It made us think as back in 2014 while staying on Phuket Town, the pollution was almost as bad. You literally could not walk in the open without choking. Both the wife and myself had chest infections that took almost 3 months to clear up.

Could this be the future?

You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Bangkok Air Pollution

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

TOG wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:17 pm Anyone thinking of visiting Bangkok in the near future may want to think again.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... k-11184006

This is almost a warning to all big cities that too much traffic and too little done about pollution will come back and bite you hard.

It made us think as back in 2014 while staying on Phuket Town, the pollution was almost as bad. You literally could not walk in the open without choking. Both the wife and myself had chest infections that took almost 3 months to clear up.

Could this be the future?

yeah i posted about this earlier in Yongs Thailand thread, about all the schools closing for a week
all my friends in Bangkok have had enough of it all
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Its not the future its happening now. The future will be worse all because you had to suck Big Mac with a danger straw
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Ha Noi has had the worst pollution in the world for a number of days the last couple of days. Pollution in winter is always bad there but with the upcoming Tet, everyone and their dog are out and about tossing fish into rivers and buying peach trees.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I was in Bangkok last week from Saturday through to Thursday and I have to say I didn’t particulrly notice it being any worse than usual. I did a fair bit of walking in busy areas like Chinatown and Silom Road and aside from a face masks being a bit more in evidence it seemed pretty much business as usual.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Interesting Article.

Here is a World Health Organisation interactive map showing the world and where the pollution is. Not good reading for us lot I'm afraid...

http://maps.who.int/airpollution/
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Day in and day out, the Thais just defy all logic and common sense. But today, they even top themselves. I present to you the Molasses Pollution Abatement Plan:

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/ban ... ieve-smog/
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 am Day in and day out, the Thais just defy all logic and common sense. But today, they even top themselves. I present to you the Molasses Pollution Abatement Plan:

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/ban ... ieve-smog/
From the above link. Be warned if you are walking in Bangkok today:

Bangkok is preparing to launch 50 drones tomorrow for spraying water in the skies over the capital. The water will contain molasses to aid in the attachment to smog particles.

The Thai News Agency is reporting that Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang says they have contacted a drone club in Nakhon Ratchasima to get 50 drones which can carry 10 litres of water each to fly over Bangkok.

The water will contain molasses which and is predicted to help relieve the smog problem. Scientists say that the molasses will assist in the trapping of smog and cause it to fall onto the ground as black drops (great result if you happen to be walking underneath at the time). Water trucks are being prepared to clean roads and vehicles which might be affected tomorrow.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Update due to entire world laughing at Thailand:
The authorities in Bangkok have decided to abandon the idea to deploy drones with water laced with molasses to reduce the city's 2.5 PM pollution.

It was previously suggested that this would be a good idea.

Now the plans have been ditched - the 50 drones will just have plain water.

Sanook suggested that people were starting to get worried about getting all sticky as Bangkok prepared to be sweetened up on Thursday.

The authorities decided that dumping molasses on the capital would do more harm than good.

It could help infectious diseases abound and make the population sicker than they already are, said Sanook.

Source: Sanook
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Just arrived Bangkok and the pollution index is

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic