Carnet de Residence Books to be issued to foreigners?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Carnet de Residence Books to be issued to foreigners?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

So over a few beers with Sangkat officials recently, they were explaining how the Government plans to start issuing Carnet de Residence Books to foreigners residing legally in Cambodia soon. As there was a bit of a language barrier it was hard to get all the details and clarification on exactly what the plan is.

Anyway, I came across this on the Kampot DoI FB page, and I think they're talking about the same thing, but was hoping someone with superior Khmer reading skills (Jamie Lambo?) could provide a basic translation.

-នៅព្រឹកថ្ងៃពុធ​ ១០រោច​ ខែបុស្ស​ ឆ្នាំច​ សំរឹទ្ធិស័កព.ស២៥៦២​ ត្រូវនឹងថ្ងៃទី៣០​ ខែធ្នូ​ ឆ្នាំ២០១៨​ ផែនអន្តោប្រវសន៍នៃស្នងការដ្ឋាននគរបាលខេត្តកំពត​ បានបេីកកិច្ចប្រជុំផ្ស​ព្វផ្សាយ​អនុក្រឹត្យលេខ​ ១២៩​ អនក្រ​ ប.ក​ ចុះថ្ងៃទី​១៥​ ខែធ្នូ​ ឆ្នាំ២០១៧​ ស្តីពីការលុបចោល​ និងការដកហូតឯកសារកម្ពុជាមិនប្រក្រតីដែលជនបរទេសកំពុងកាន់កាប់ប្រេីប្រាស់​ និងការពន្យាឱសានវាទ​ នៃការទទួលពាក្យសុំប្រកាស ទទួលស្គាល់ជាជនបរទេសអន្តោប្រវេសន៍​ និងប័ណ្ណស្នាក់នៅអចិន្ត្រៃយ៍​ រហូតដល់ថ្ងៃទី៣០​ ខែមិថុនា​ ឆ្នាំ២០១៨​ ។​
​ -សមាសភាពចូលរួមមាន​ កម្លាំងការិយា​ល័យជំនាញ​ទាំងពីរនៃផែនអន្តោប្រវសន៍​ នឹងលោក​ លោកស្រី​ អធិការ-អធិការរង​ នឹងផ្នែកអន្តោប្រវេសន៍ក្រុង-ស្រុក​ ទាំង០៨​ ។
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Carnet de Residence Books to be issued to foreigners?

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:27 am So over a few beers with Sangkat officials recently, they were explaining how the Government plans to start issuing Carnet de Residence Books to foreigners residing legally in Cambodia soon. As there was a bit of a language barrier it was hard to get all the details and clarification on exactly what the plan is.

Anyway, I came across this on the Kampot DoI FB page, and I think they're talking about the same thing, but was hoping someone with superior Khmer reading skills (Jamie Lambo?) could provide a basic translation.

-នៅព្រឹកថ្ងៃពុធ​ ១០រោច​ ខែបុស្ស​ ឆ្នាំច​ សំរឹទ្ធិស័កព.ស២៥៦២​ ត្រូវនឹងថ្ងៃទី៣០​ ខែធ្នូ​ ឆ្នាំ២០១៨​ ផែនអន្តោប្រវសន៍នៃស្នងការដ្ឋាននគរបាលខេត្តកំពត​ បានបេីកកិច្ចប្រជុំផ្ស​ព្វផ្សាយ​អនុក្រឹត្យលេខ​ ១២៩​ អនក្រ​ ប.ក​ ចុះថ្ងៃទី​១៥​ ខែធ្នូ​ ឆ្នាំ២០១៧​ ស្តីពីការលុបចោល​ និងការដកហូតឯកសារកម្ពុជាមិនប្រក្រតីដែលជនបរទេសកំពុងកាន់កាប់ប្រេីប្រាស់​ និងការពន្យាឱសានវាទ​ នៃការទទួលពាក្យសុំប្រកាស ទទួលស្គាល់ជាជនបរទេសអន្តោប្រវេសន៍​ និងប័ណ្ណស្នាក់នៅអចិន្ត្រៃយ៍​ រហូតដល់ថ្ងៃទី៣០​ ខែមិថុនា​ ឆ្នាំ២០១៨​ ។​
​ -សមាសភាពចូលរួមមាន​ កម្លាំងការិយា​ល័យជំនាញ​ទាំងពីរនៃផែនអន្តោប្រវសន៍​ នឹងលោក​ លោកស្រី​ អធិការ-អធិការរង​ នឹងផ្នែកអន្តោប្រវេសន៍ក្រុង-ស្រុក​ ទាំង០៨​ ។
The text refers to illegal (abnormal) documents provided to foreigners (Vietnamese? No nationality mentioned in the text) in the past that will be revoked in a joint operation by the provincial immigration police and local offices from the immigration police. From what I understand the illegal foreigners get an extended period until June 30th 2018 to acquire legal documents.

I think the quote is not about the same subject of issuing residence books to foreigners.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Cheers Kamekor, it's clear that my Khmer language skills are next to nil!

Anyway, regarding my first paragraph, more drinking sessions with a competent translator are in order I feel.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:02 pm Cheers Kamekor, it's clear that my Khmer language skills are next to nil!

Anyway, regarding my first paragraph, more drinking sessions with a competent translator are in order I feel.
Just don't drop the beers with the competent authorities. Those can be very valuable.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

I thought they are issued on request? I have one
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Was talking to an aussie whith khmer missus just got his book yesterday so some people are definitlet=y getting them
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

As a foreigner, why would you want or need one ?. I've been here 15 years and have never once been asked for my passport , other then when going through the airport.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Duncan wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:55 pm As a foreigner, why would you want or need one ?. I've been here 15 years
As a foreigner you never used to "need" a work permit or proof of employment to get an EB EOS, either.

Things are changing, notice the trend?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

pczz wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:21 pm Was talking to an aussie whith khmer missus just got his book yesterday so some people are definitlet=y getting them
Yea I'm included in the missus's one too.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

fax wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:18 pm I thought they are issued on request? I have one
You've been issued one personally, or are you included in your Cambodian partners?

My understanding of the law is that foreigners have always supposed to have been issued some form of Residence card, but something that has never been actually been enforced or even known about by Sangkat officials.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic