Feb 27 is National Clean City Day

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Feb 27 is National Clean City Day

Post by newkidontheblock »

Educating Khmer on tidiness?

Sorry, fail. Had the lady next to me on the airplane to Phnom Penh generating rubbish and furtively kicking all of it to a corner below the seat posts.

This is after ignoring repeated passes by the airplane cabin crew to collect trash.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I did a little voluntary English teaching last year. I would meet some of the students out for a walk in the evening. They would pick up rubbish and put it in a bin. This group is taught, and involved in, more than just university, and I think they will have a positive influence in Cambodia.

There are some good people doing good things.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:13 am Educating Khmer on tidiness?

Sorry, fail.
It’s not a Khmer thing, though. It’s highly prevalent in other parts of south east Asia. (My references mainly include India, Bangladesh, Malaya. KL/Malaya having much improved over the last decade, in some ways). It’s largely down to self- and mutual- respect, and teaching. I saw much of the same poor social behaviour there.

(I’m speculating...)
In India/Bangladesh their mentoring and role models are from an era still highly influenced by the trauma of the partition, several times over.
In Cambodia, I wonder if the same effect isn’t partially as a result of the history of the seventies? I can’t speak for earlier times, as was too young and getting clipped around the ear for littering.

Interestingly, the Sri Lankan population seems much more aware, socially, and yet still has a some diverse racial and cultural communities.

Engaging the younger generations and making an effort to break the bad habits the older generations must surely be a significant step in the process, but not the only one.

Just in case anyone thinks that this is the preserve of the third world/Asia, I’d suggest looking at the verges along some of Britain’s motorways, and the (US) States, too.*

*yes, i know, it’s highways...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

No comment. Please read and digest.

Clean city day to promote street food in Kingdom
Voun Dara | Publication date 23 February 2020 | 22:59 ICT
Prime Minister HE has issued a letter in conjunction with National Clean City Day on Thursday, urging the relevant authorities to ensure that traditional Khmer street food remains vibrant in the Kingdom’s cities.

This year’s National Clean City Day is being held under the theme Clean City: A City with Clean Street Food.

In his letter issued on Thursday, HE told relevant institutions and sub-national administrations to continue to promote Khmer food traditions, culture and heritage to ensure diversity of food in the tourism sector.

In the spirit of responding to recent development trends, Cambodia must continue to focus on issuance and implementation of national development strategies, he said.

Two key areas to be considered are the creation of competitive advantages and the guarantee of sustainable development.

On this basis, Cambodia launched the Clean City, Clean Resort, Good Service, Good Hospitality campaign which is an appropriate strategy to contribute to the development of green tourism and bring Cambodia towards a greener and safer environment, he noted.

“Each district must have at least one food street to cater to the city’s tourist with satisfaction and unique experience in line with the campaign, ‘Cambodia, Kingdom of Wonders, Feel the Warmth’.

“I would also like to introduce the standard ‘Street available for Cambodian Food – Food Street’ and the standard ‘Food Stall along Cambodian Street – Street Food’,” HE said.

He said all parties involved will continue to co-sponsor and implement the campaigns launched by the government in support of the Clean City, Clean Resort, Good Service movement for Cambodia to be a “clean and green” tourist destination.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... od-kingdom
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

How is this supposed to work? My neighborhood has far less garbage collections than before and I'm not sure you could consider the areas near food vendors to be too clean, they tend to generate a lot of litter.
:?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:06 pm How is this supposed to work? My neighborhood has far less garbage collections than before and I'm not sure you could consider the areas near food vendors to be too clean, they tend to generate a lot of litter.
:?
Tis true,

I posted before about having a great neighborhood, to much derision despite it being true....

We have not seen Cintri for a week now and everyone is pissed off.

Before that we saw them between 18:30 to 19:30 every night and no fucking garbage in the streets.

Progress has halted John..

What's the status on the new garbage collection tuk tuks widely touted round your neck of the woods?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

You guys miss this bit on CEO Cambodian News.

No comment. Please read and digest.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic