Does your wife or girlfriend have any creative English word use?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Does your wife or girlfriend have any creative English word use?

Post by Joker Poker »

I know from living in Phnom Penh that there are lots of funny ways that Khmer pronounce English product names etc, as often discussed on the various forums.

Moving on from that, does your wife or girlfriend have any notable English expressions that are funny or worth posting?

For example, mine refers to the wardrobe as 'the clothes fridge'! It makes sense to her that you put food in a fridge, therefore, you put clothes in the clothes fridge.

Another one is referring to dick-heads as 'tickets'. Sort of came from me, as I regularly refer to inattentive drivers as dick-heads. One day after my utterance she asked me 'What's a ticket?' It stuck ever since.

Then there is Woof. This is a reference to Woolworths (supermarkets in Oz) as she cannot enunciate it much better than that, so that stuck too.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Does your wife or GF have any creative English word use?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

My GF says she is always steaming about ghosts in her sleep. O:-)
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

My wife has recently incorporated the word "thinking or think " in her English vocabulary. However when she pronounces it I hear "I stink or stinking". everytime she says it I laugh on the inside. :)
Still here, in country...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Joker Poker wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:05 am I know from living in Phnom Penh that there are lots of funny ways that Khmer pronounce English product names etc, as often discussed on the various forums.

Moving on from that, does your wife or girlfriend have any notable English expressions that are funny or worth posting?

For example, mine refers to the wardrobe as 'the clothes fridge'! It makes sense to her that you put food in a fridge, therefore, you put clothes in the clothes fridge.

Another one is referring to dick-heads as 'tickets'. Sort of came from me, as I regularly refer to inattentive drivers as dick-heads. One day after my utterance she asked me 'What's a ticket?' It stuck ever since.

Then there is Woof. This is a reference to Woolworths (supermarkets in Oz) as she cannot enunciate it much better than that, so that stuck too.

Please pass on one karma point to your wife.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
RatanakBat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RatanakBat »

Upon returning from a few drinks I often get asked "Why you boring me baby?". To which I reply (much to her confusion): " It's all part of being a red blooded male".
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Mine thinks its funny to swear in English. Ive been a bad influence on her. Of course, she only talks like that with me but I've created a monster.

I like the Khmenglish economy of words. "I go now" instead of "Ok, I am going to go now,"
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Have her read the following line. "I am we taught it. I am sofa king we taught it."
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Ravensnest wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:15 am My wife has recently incorporated the word "thinking or think " in her English vocabulary. However when she pronounces it I hear "I stink or stinking". everytime she says it I laugh on the inside. :)
British boat: SOS! We are sinking!
German boat: What are you sinking about?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Not so much words, as phrases with little or no context.

SWMBO tends to use the phrase ‘what you want’. The amount of conversations that got derailed because I was trying to work out what she was asking me! It gets thrown into a great many sentences. Does anyone remember the King and I, and prolific use of etc?

It took me a while to realise that she wasn’t asking a question; it’s simply a phrase that has been taught by her English ‘teacher’ who had a habit of using random phrases which caught on but added little to, usually detracted from the conversation.

It’s the one phrase which I can’t quite get her to lose, sadly... :facepalm:
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

You habe string for phone..........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic