Does your wife or girlfriend have any creative English word use?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Does your wife or GF have any creative English word use?

Post by khmerhamster »

explorer wrote:A little different.

I met two girls just after they came to town looking for work. I have gone to restaurants and other places with them, sometimes with just one of them. A few times I took her on the back of my bicycle. As we were going along on the bicycle she said, "people are looking at us."

They both got jobs quickly, as they are nice girls and speak English well. Their families bought them motorbikes, so they now have their own transport.
???
You’re right it’s a little different. In that what she said is completely normal & correct. You’re a weird one.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:08 am

I met two girls just after they came to town looking for work. I have gone to restaurants and other places with them, sometimes with just one of them. A few times I took her on the back of my bicycle. As we were going along on the bicycle she said, "people are looking at us."

They both got jobs quickly, as they are nice girls and speak English well. Their families bought them motorbikes, so they now have their own transport.
???
You’re right it’s a little different. In that what she said is completely normal & correct. You’re a weird one.
yeah im a bit puzzled about what this story has to do with the thread lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The other (partial) phrase that has tendency to cause much confusion is

‘Go from’

When included in a conversation already crippled by broken English, what would normally be a five minute discussion between adults can become a major frustration, and a feeling that seppuku is ones only redemption.

In my case, it generally means going back to (one’s) hometown/country/province/mossy rock.

Still, none of this is as fraught with danger as relying on Giggle transmute for getting the wrong end of the stick...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:39 pm yeah im a bit puzzled about what this story has to do with the thread lol
It’s akin to those knock knock jokes without the funny bit, told by five year olds who end up giggling while all the adults in the room look at each other puzzled.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

explorer wrote:With one girl:

When she wanted to say "friend," she said "my friend."

When she wanted to say "my friend," she said "my friend me."

When she wanted to say "your friend," she said "my friend you."

It was funny listening to a conversation with a lot of "my friend me" and "my friend you."
They do struggle with me, my, mine, you, your and yours.
One friend, when talking to my boyfriend about me refers to me as “my wife for you.” It’s so cute. :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:39 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:08 am

???
yeah im a bit puzzled about what this story has to do with the thread lol
She had never been on the back of a bicycle with a foreigner. She had not thought about the idea that people might look. She only became aware of this when it actually happened. It was cute the way she came out with it.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:06 pm
explorer wrote:With one girl:

When she wanted to say "friend," she said "my friend."

When she wanted to say "my friend," she said "my friend me."

When she wanted to say "your friend," she said "my friend you."

It was funny listening to a conversation with a lot of "my friend me" and "my friend you."
They do struggle with me, my, mine, you, your and yours.
One friend, when talking to my boyfriend about me refers to me as “my wife for you.” It’s so cute. :)
yeah haha
can understand the confusion though, as they use the same word for I, Me, My, and the same word for His, Hers, Theirs, They etc,
the position of the word in the sentence changes the English equivalent of the word,
agree its cute :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I still hear my friend you and my husband me but the kids take the cake. A year ago the six year old called a helicopter a hello doctor.
But after just over a year of school and lots of YouTube the children are totally literate and can read, write and spell better than most of their school mates. Mum has learnt to communicate far better after a year of TAFE but her English is still woeful.
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

In Saigon, 2011, i had a GF who was a business woman thru & thru. (No bar girl, doesn't mean it gets easier)
We were together 4-5 months but after a short while days became groundhog days.
ALL the fuckin time she was talkin about business, (containers to oz, etc, etc)

Funny was how she varied the pronounciation.
From biznik to bizkwit to pik nik
seriously, my jaw dropped at(sic) pique nique
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Does your wife or girlfriend have any creative English word use?

Post by Freightdog »

Muoy tiet

Jägerbomb....tiger balm
Very much a lost in pronunciation thing

Ones memory was jogged this evening while she was attempting to ease a minor ailment of mine. She offered me a Jäger bomb, and thus my spirits were lifted. Imagine my disappointment when the little jar was produced.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic