Do Cambodian students learn multiplication tables and other stuff?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Do Cambodian students learn multiplication tables and other stuff?

Post by Ravensnest »

Ravensnest wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:03 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:53 am But what I don’t get is the half day classes in the public schools. Students either have morning classes or afternoon classes. Meanwhile in western schools, class is from morning until afternoon or evening. How can the same amount of material be taught in half the time?
Those are part time students. Some families cannot afford to send their kids to school full time or they need them to come home to work part of the day. Just like college for westerners, it will take them longer to graduate.
In private schools here, the kids take all the regular history, science, English, Khmer and math classes But they take English versions of those subjects AND also the Khmer versions. So they have 2 math classes, 2 History classes, etc.. Most go to school full time which includes a half day on Saturday. Their homework is through the roof and they work very very hard. They have far more than what is put on a western student in the US.
I know of a girl that is in a 6th grade class in private school full time and is homeschooled for the 7th and 8th grade at night.
Still here, in country...
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Ravensnest wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:09 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:53 am But what I don’t get is the half day classes in the public schools. Students either have morning classes or afternoon classes. Meanwhile in western schools, class is from morning until afternoon or evening. How can the same amount of material be taught in half the time?
Those are part time students. Some families cannot afford to send their kids to school full time or they need them to come home to work part of the day. Just like college for westerners, it will take them longer to graduate.
Most schools and universities in Cambodia are half day. It does not take longer to graduate.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

explorer wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:54 am
Ravensnest wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:09 am
Most schools and universities in Cambodia are half day. It does not take longer to graduate.
I am only familiar with private primary schools here. They can go "part time", that's their term for it, but most go full time.
Still here, in country...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic