Do Cambodian students learn multiplication tables and other stuff?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Do Cambodian students learn multiplication tables and other stuff?

Post by taabarang »

taabarang wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:24 pm "The new approach is for teachers not to teach everything in regular classes. Students need to go to extra classes to learn enough to pass the exams. So instead of paying bribes, they now pay teachers for extra classes."

Nonsense, it's not new at all. It's been going on since Christ was a corporal in God's army. The locals call it 'rien kua."
Physics and chemistry are taught in the 7th grade but there are no labs. The learning methodology is based on rote learning, not critical thinking I find unknown in our local rural schools.
Last edited by taabarang on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:40 pm
Brody wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:55 pm You're on a roll today Gav. Is it boring in Laos? Go see the Plain of Jars or something.
He should be in Kampot.
Spoiler:
Too young.

He likes them with saggy moobs, liver spots and a hint of death, despair and quiet desperation wafting about them.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

taabarang wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:24 pm "The new approach is for teachers not to teach everything in regular classes. Students need to go to extra classes to learn enough to pass the exams. So instead of paying bribes, they now pay teachers for extra classes."

Nonsense, it's not new at all. It's been going on since Christ was a corporal in God's army. The locals call it 'rien kua."
Indeed, confirmed. Explorer's explanation has a few minor details not being totally correct.
TheWarrior
Expatriate
Romania

Post by TheWarrior »

Yes. I guess this are the things going are going to make you go " mmm ".

Spigzy wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:32 pm
Wanker Wat wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:25 pm Americans learn much less than students learn in Western countries. For example, if you get a map of the world and ask them where any other country is, many of them dont know.
FTFY

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

cashiers do
unless they are not really cashiers
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

But what I don’t get is the half day classes in the public schools. Students either have morning classes or afternoon classes. Meanwhile in western schools, class is from morning until afternoon or evening. How can the same amount of material be taught in half the time?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:53 am But what I don’t get is the half day classes in the public schools. Students either have morning classes or afternoon classes. Meanwhile in western schools, class is from morning until afternoon or evening. How can the same amount of material be taught in half the time?
Dunno, but the schedule fits in well with the trinket selling kids on Riverside.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:53 am But what I don’t get is the half day classes in the public schools. Students either have morning classes or afternoon classes. Meanwhile in western schools, class is from morning until afternoon or evening. How can the same amount of material be taught in half the time?
They can fit the same amount of material in half the time because the class sizes are twice as large as in western schools.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:11 am
They can fit the same amount of material in half the time because the class sizes are twice as large as in western schools.
Better use of infrastructure.. :hattip:
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Those are part time students. Some families cannot afford to send their kids to school full time or they need them to come home to work part of the day. Just like college for westerners, it will take them longer to graduate.
In private schools here, the kids take all the regular history, science, English, Khmer and math classes But they take they Take English versions of those subjects AND the Khmer versions. So they have 2 math classes, 2 History classes, etc.. Most go to school full time which includes a half day on Saturday. Their homework is through the roof and they work very very hard. They have far more than what is put on a western student in the US.
I know of a girl that is in a 6th grade class in private school full time and is homeschooled for the 7th and 8th grade at night.
Still here, in country...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic