Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Wanker Wat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

Post by Wanker Wat »

I’m in Myanmar with my girlfriend.

Ordinarily, she eats rice at every meal and will even try to order steamed rice at restaurants where it’s not served, much to my chagrin.

Anyway, she has decided for no apparent reason upon landing in Myanmar that the rice here is “ort chnung” and she now wants to order bread or potatoes as a substitute. She’s like an Irishman who won’t drink Guinness outside of Ireland.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Sounds like she has valid point.

Have you considered that?

:BangHead:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

My Khmer gf behaves the same wherever we travel to
I found the rice in Myanmar as good as Cambodia
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Wanker Wat wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:59 pm I’m in Myanmar with my girlfriend.

Ordinarily, she eats rice at every meal and will even try to order steamed rice at restaurants where it’s not served, much to my chagrin.

Anyway, she has decided for no apparent reason upon landing in Myanmar that the rice here is “ort chnung” and she now wants to order bread or potatoes as a substitute. She’s like an Irishman who won’t drink Guinness outside of Ireland.
What does "ort chnung" mean?
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Your GF reminds me of some guy who hated a place because they served him pepsi instead of a Coke. Maybe she feels the same?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Barang alway same same he country same Cambodia is very bad
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Means not good. They're very sensitive to different rice varieties, and if I recall some areas of Myanmar have more of a basmati (dry, long-grain) rice compared to Cambodian rice. Cambodians tend not to like that type of ride as they didn grow up with it so it's not comforting. My girl enjoyed a lot of Burmese food when we were there.

Once thing I do noticed about my lady is that she gets way more "open" to public displays of affection when out of the country. We hardly ever hold hands here, only a hundred meters or so now and then on our way home from the parking lot (we never walk anywhere). However, when we're traveling abroad we obviously walk a lot more and at times, she'll insist on holding hands (after an evening meal, for example) even if the context dictates we shouldn't (imo). I've been in Cambodia long enough that I know PDAs are weird, but I also realize that Myanmar (or Nepal, Sri Lanka, etc) is even more conservative and walking around holding hands in some small city is weird and people stare at you (even more than usual). Vietnam and Thailand aren't so bad I guess, but my point is her cultural sensitivity seems to go out the window when out do the country. "No Cambodians can see us, so it's fine" seems to be her rational, so she unleashes this sort of pent up desire for physical contact in public. I think I'm more Asian than she is in that respect as I get a bit embarrassed if I know the PDA isn't appropriate.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:16 am she unleashes this sort of pent up desire for physical contact in public.
Oh, man...I needed a hearty belly-laugh first thing in the morning, thanks Bitte_Kein_Lexus. :thumb:

You must be an irresistible beast. You're turning your demure Khmer flower into a cauldron of sexual yearning.

So, what you're saying is, is that being around you causes such an intense desire for public displays of affection to build up inside your 'lady' that she has to 'unleash' it whenever you travel outside Cambodia?

You're an animal!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:59 am What does "ort chnung" mean?
chnung means what we in English call "pots and pans." It can be used for a saucepan or frypan, etc.

What he is trying to say is chngun(y). This means delicious.

ot means not. This should be easy for new learners, as you just drop the first letter in English.

So ot chngun(y) means not delicious.

In the early days of learning Khmer, Cambodians told me I was pronouncing chngun(y) wrong. No matter how much I asked, I did not know how I was supposed to pronounce it. That is one of the reasons I decided to learn the Khmer alphabet. Once you learn the Khmer alphabet, you can spell words, and know how you are supposed to pronounce them. The other reason is, there are sounds we dont have in English.

I encourage people to learn the Khmer alphabet for this reason.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

fank yoo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic