Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

Post by willyhilly »

Kompong Chanang. Where the pottery comes from.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:26 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:18 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:24 pm its not Chnung, Saucepan is spelt ឆ្នាំង Chhnang, pronounced the same as ខ្លាំង Klang (strong) but with a Chhn-ang instead of Kl-ang

Delicious isnt Chngun(y) its spelt ឆ្ងាញ់ Chhnganh, starts with a Chhng sound and ends in an -anh sound (the same final sound thats in Srolanh/Somlanh)

theres no 'u' sound in either of the words
my point clearly was you using and teaching that the two words have a 'U' sound when it definitely doesnt
This is most likely explained by the difference between a British accent and an Australian accent.

You will probably find British people will pronounce it better if they follow your spelling, and Australians will probably pronounce it better if they follow my spelling. I know there is a wide range of different accents in the UK, it might not apply to all.
but your spelling is incorrect, and if you are pronouncing it with a U sound you are pronouncing it incorrect, you should write it as it sounds, it is an open 'Ah' sound not a 'U' sound of any sort, i do know what youre saying for example the word Cunt, an aussy would probably pronounce it more as Kant, but in this case you are doing the opposite, you are writing a word that is for example actually spelt Kant and writing it as Cunt, which doesnt make sense
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 am
Kammekor wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:45 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:40 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:53 am Again, j is not at all the sound. You're making me wonder if you're a native speaker of English with these two past comments comments. Ch or tch would be the best approximate romanizations of ច, though you could also argue for tchj/jtch, but that's not practical. Though there is a slight j in there, the dominant sound isn't an English j at all. The consonant itself has a stronger j sound, but when pronounced in a word such as above (with no air coming out) it sounds more like a soft tch to most English speakers.

Again, arguing about romanization is a bit silly given that anyone can have their own version of it, and none could be accurate to other people.
while i agree its not a full on clean J sound, there are many words that use the ច consonant that i and many others would spell with a J instead of an English Ch

i write these words with a J sound
ចូល - Joul
ចិត្ដ - Jet
ចង់ - Jong
ចម្រៀង - Jomreung
ច្រៀង - Jreung
ចាំ - Jam
ចេះ - Jeh
ចាក - Jak
ចេញ - Jenh

on the other hand i would spell these with a Ch as they have a litte less of a J sound than the above
ច្រើន - Chrern
ចាស - Chas
ចាប់ - Chab
I think that's the influence from the French. The j in French words as jour, jeune, Julliet, is much softer and has a little of zj in it, as opposed to the English j in job, Jones, .... There's too much of a d-sound in it for me.

If using a 'French Romanazation' I get the of the j, but not if using the way English pronounces the j.
i dont speak french so have no idea about that
i just know the J/ch sound is similar to that in Jump, Juice, Jewel, Jester , Junk, Judge

its a vary thin line and i dont see any problem anyone using either out of preference, but to say theres no 'J' sound at all i find a very false statement, like many Khmer consonants the sound is somewhere in between like the V/w consonant, the B/p, the D/t, the G/k consonants too
When I said no-j-sound, I meant the j-sound as it sounds in English, or at least as we (Dutchies) make it sound. We make it sound a bit like 'Djon', 'Djoseph', 'Djack'.... Maybe they taught us so to differentiate the j from the y. I couldn't come up with a Khmer word with that dj sound in it.
A 'zj' sound as in the French word 'toujours' or a 'pure j' as in the English word 'young' I can hear in Khmer words.

F*ck... It's so hard to discuss this matter on forum without hearing the actual sounds. I give up.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:44 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 am
Kammekor wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:45 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:40 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:53 am Again, j is not at all the sound. You're making me wonder if you're a native speaker of English with these two past comments comments. Ch or tch would be the best approximate romanizations of ច, though you could also argue for tchj/jtch, but that's not practical. Though there is a slight j in there, the dominant sound isn't an English j at all. The consonant itself has a stronger j sound, but when pronounced in a word such as above (with no air coming out) it sounds more like a soft tch to most English speakers.

Again, arguing about romanization is a bit silly given that anyone can have their own version of it, and none could be accurate to other people.
while i agree its not a full on clean J sound, there are many words that use the ច consonant that i and many others would spell with a J instead of an English Ch

i write these words with a J sound
ចូល - Joul
ចិត្ដ - Jet
ចង់ - Jong
ចម្រៀង - Jomreung
ច្រៀង - Jreung
ចាំ - Jam
ចេះ - Jeh
ចាក - Jak
ចេញ - Jenh

on the other hand i would spell these with a Ch as they have a litte less of a J sound than the above
ច្រើន - Chrern
ចាស - Chas
ចាប់ - Chab
I think that's the influence from the French. The j in French words as jour, jeune, Julliet, is much softer and has a little of zj in it, as opposed to the English j in job, Jones, .... There's too much of a d-sound in it for me.

If using a 'French Romanazation' I get the of the j, but not if using the way English pronounces the j.
i dont speak french so have no idea about that
i just know the J/ch sound is similar to that in Jump, Juice, Jewel, Jester , Junk, Judge

its a vary thin line and i dont see any problem anyone using either out of preference, but to say theres no 'J' sound at all i find a very false statement, like many Khmer consonants the sound is somewhere in between like the V/w consonant, the B/p, the D/t, the G/k consonants too
When I said no-j-sound, I meant the j-sound as it sounds in English, or at least as we (Dutchies) make it sound. We make it sound a bit like 'Djon', 'Djoseph', 'Djack'.... Maybe they taught us so to differentiate the j from the y. I couldn't come up with a Khmer word with that dj sound in it.
A 'zj' sound as in the French word 'toujours' or a 'pure j' as in the English word 'young' I can hear in Khmer words.

F*ck... It's so hard to discuss this matter on forum without hearing the actual sounds. I give up.
for sure mate, especially with everyone coming from different nationalities
i know where your difficulties are coming from too, its like with my Swedish friends, one is called Johannas so i call him Johannas with an English J, so it sounds like Joe-hannas, but when my Swedish friends say his name its definitely more of a Yo-hannas,
so i can see were your confusion with the J sound comes from, in British English the J/Ch sound is almost indistinguishable
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:39 am
explorer wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:26 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:18 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:24 pm its not Chnung, Saucepan is spelt ឆ្នាំង Chhnang, pronounced the same as ខ្លាំង Klang (strong) but with a Chhn-ang instead of Kl-ang

Delicious isnt Chngun(y) its spelt ឆ្ងាញ់ Chhnganh, starts with a Chhng sound and ends in an -anh sound (the same final sound thats in Srolanh/Somlanh)

theres no 'u' sound in either of the words
my point clearly was you using and teaching that the two words have a 'U' sound when it definitely doesnt
This is most likely explained by the difference between a British accent and an Australian accent.

You will probably find British people will pronounce it better if they follow your spelling, and Australians will probably pronounce it better if they follow my spelling. I know there is a wide range of different accents in the UK, it might not apply to all.
but your spelling is incorrect, and if you are pronouncing it with a U sound you are pronouncing it incorrect, you should write it as it sounds, it is an open 'Ah' sound not a 'U' sound of any sort, i do know what youre saying for example the word Cunt, an aussy would probably pronounce it more as Kant, but in this case you are doing the opposite, you are writing a word that is for example actually spelt Kant and writing it as Cunt, which doesnt make sense
We are probably pronouncing it the same or very similar. There is no way of knowing without hearing the sound.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:54 am for sure mate, especially with everyone coming from different nationalities
i know where your difficulties are coming from too, its like with my Swedish friends, one is called Johannas so i call him Johannas with an English J, so it sounds like Joe-hannas, but when my Swedish friends say his name its definitely more of a Yo-hannas,
so i can see were your confusion with the J sound comes from, in British English the J/Ch sound is almost indistinguishable
When people who speak other languages such as Swedish, write Khmer sounds with English letters, it is totally unrecognizable to English speakers. They pronounce so many letters differently.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Yeah...nah!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

aisaexplore
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aisaexplore »

Looks like this thread is going to an other topic.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

aisaexplore wrote:Looks like this thread is going to an other topic.
Nah! Same topic, slight diversion, that's how we roll here.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: why would you take your khmer girlfriend out the country in the 1st place :assasin:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic