Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:25 am
explorer wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:04 am
frank lee bent wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:31 pm ot chong means dont want i think
i hear this very very often
yes

I would spell it "ot jong."

ot means not
jong means want
Why would you use the j here (want, ch[o]ng,ចង់)?

I would pronounce the j as in joke. Can't think of a Khmer word with it.
I have not heard how you speak Khmer.

If you learnt from the French spelling, and pronounce it the way those letters sound in English, you would be pronouncing Khmer badly.

There is a large number of words with j in them.

If you go by the French spelling. Chh is pronounced the way we pronounce ch in English. Ch is pronounced the way we pronounce j in English. I think people who speak English should write it that way.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Again, j is not at all the sound. You're making me wonder if you're a native speaker of English with these two past comments comments. Ch or tch would be the best approximate romanizations of ច, though you could also argue for tchj/jtch, but that's not practical. Though there is a slight j in there, the dominant sound isn't an English j at all. The consonant itself has a stronger j sound, but when pronounced in a word such as above (with no air coming out) it sounds more like a soft tch to most English speakers.

Again, arguing about romanization is a bit silly given that anyone can have their own version of it, and none could be accurate to other people.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:30 am I like going abroad because she is more touchy feely in public. I think it follows the touchy feely equation.
Back on topic.

You too eh? Sounds like both your missus's are afflicted by this pent up desire to unleash their desires.. :plus1:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: ↑Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:16 am
she unleashes this sort of pent up desire for physical contact in public.

It's funny coz my GF keeps wanting to hold my hand in public here (which I don't particularly care for) and when OS she just does the same..
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I live in Thailand and for those who have lived here before you'll know Thais have got like a sauce for each dish. Of course the lost popular ones are "nam jeem seafood" and "nam jeem jeow".

If you ever meet any Thai tour group in any country during meals they will be asking their tour leaders for these 2 sauces whatever they are eating and I am not talking about those country bumpkins only its basically all Thais believe you me. I'll be like what the fuck are Thais thinking Japanese food with Thai sauces? Nice wagu beef with Thai sauces?

We bring our Thai staff to overseas holiday every year as a matter of fact there are 51 of us now in hokkaido and every meal its these 2 sauces for sukiyaki, shabu-shabu to Hokkaido king crabs and prawns. Fucking rediculous.

I'll take some photos to show later.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

explorer wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:17 am

I was reading recently, at one time the French did write Khmer with French letters.

Were they wearing them at the time?

That would take great skill.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:57 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:24 pm its not Chnung, Saucepan is spelt ឆ្នាំង Chhnang, pronounced the same as ខ្លាំង Klang (strong) but with a Chhn-ang instead of Kl-ang

Delicious isnt Chngun(y) its spelt ឆ្ងាញ់ Chhnganh, starts with a Chhng sound and ends in an -anh sound (the same final sound thats in Srolanh/Somlanh)

theres no 'u' sound in either of the words
There is no Chh in English.

We have had similar discussions before. You spell it using the French spelling. I spell it the way it sounds in English. I have not heard how you pronounce it, and you have not heard how I pronounce it. If we both pronounce it the same as Cambodians, then there is no problem.

I suspect some people who spell Khmer using the French spelling, and pronounce it the way those letters sound in English, pronounce it badly.

There may be some differences because you speak British English and I speak Australian English.

ឆ្ងាញ់ can be a difficult word to pronounce. Those learning Khmer can ask Cambodians if they pronounce it correctly. Let Cambodians tell you. Dont give up if you get it wrong. It is a difficult one.
weve had the Chh/Ch argument before, its irrelevent

my point clearly was you using and teaching that the two words have a 'U' sound when it definitely doesnt
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:25 am
explorer wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:04 am
frank lee bent wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:31 pm ot chong means dont want i think
i hear this very very often
yes

I would spell it "ot jong."

ot means not
jong means want
Why would you use the j here (want, ch[o]ng,ចង់)?

I would pronounce the j as in joke. Can't think of a Khmer word with it.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:53 am Again, j is not at all the sound. You're making me wonder if you're a native speaker of English with these two past comments comments. Ch or tch would be the best approximate romanizations of ច, though you could also argue for tchj/jtch, but that's not practical. Though there is a slight j in there, the dominant sound isn't an English j at all. The consonant itself has a stronger j sound, but when pronounced in a word such as above (with no air coming out) it sounds more like a soft tch to most English speakers.

Again, arguing about romanization is a bit silly given that anyone can have their own version of it, and none could be accurate to other people.
while i agree its not a full on clean J sound, there are many words that use the ច consonant that i and many others would spell with a J instead of an English Ch

i write these words with a J sound
ចូល - Joul
ចិត្ដ - Jet
ចង់ - Jong
ចម្រៀង - Jomreung
ច្រៀង - Jreung
ចាំ - Jam
ចេះ - Jeh
ចាក - Jak
ចេញ - Jenh

on the other hand i would spell these with a Ch as they have a litte less of a J sound than the above
ច្រើន - Chrern
ចាស - Chas
ចាប់ - Chab

for people who dont speak much Khmer and want to hear the sounds were debating about, you can hear it a lot in this song....
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:40 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:53 am Again, j is not at all the sound. You're making me wonder if you're a native speaker of English with these two past comments comments. Ch or tch would be the best approximate romanizations of ច, though you could also argue for tchj/jtch, but that's not practical. Though there is a slight j in there, the dominant sound isn't an English j at all. The consonant itself has a stronger j sound, but when pronounced in a word such as above (with no air coming out) it sounds more like a soft tch to most English speakers.

while i agree its not a full on clean J sound, there are many words that use the ច consonant that i and many others would spell with a J instead of an English Ch

ចូល - Joul
ចិត្ដ - Jet
ចង់ - Jong
ចម្រៀង - Jomreung
ច្រៀង - Jreung
ចាំ - Jam
ចេះ - Jeh
ចាក - Jak
ចេញ - Jenh

on the other hand i would spell these with a Ch as they have a litte less of a J sound than the above
ច្រើន - Chrern
ចាស - Chas
ចាប់ - Chab
I think that's the influence from the French. The j in French words as jour, jeune, Julliet, is much softer and has a little of zj in it, as opposed to the English j in job, Jones, .... There's too much of a d-sound in it for me.

If using a 'French Romanazation' I get the use of the j, but not if using the way English pronounces the j.

I also understand the need to use different romanizations for different Khmer characters.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:45 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:40 am

ចូល - Joul
ចិត្ដ - Jet
ចង់ - Jong
ចម្រៀង - Jomreung
ច្រៀង - Jreung
ចាំ - Jam
ចេះ - Jeh
ចាក - Jak
ចេញ - Jenh

ច្រើន - Chrern
ចាស - Chas
ចាប់ - Chab
I think that's the influence from the French. The j in French words as jour, jeune, Julliet, is much softer and has a little of zj in it, as opposed to the English j in job, Jones, .... There's too much of a d-sound in it for me.

If using a 'French Romanazation' I get the of the j, but not if using the way English pronounces the j.
i dont speak french so have no idea about that
i just know the J/ch sound is similar to that in Jump, Juice, Jewel, Jester , Junk, Judge

its a vary thin line and i dont see any problem anyone using either out of preference, but to say theres no 'J' sound at all i find a very false statement, like many Khmer consonants the sound is somewhere in between like the V/w consonant, the B/p, the D/t, the G/k consonants too
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:18 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:24 pm its not Chnung, Saucepan is spelt ឆ្នាំង Chhnang, pronounced the same as ខ្លាំង Klang (strong) but with a Chhn-ang instead of Kl-ang

Delicious isnt Chngun(y) its spelt ឆ្ងាញ់ Chhnganh, starts with a Chhng sound and ends in an -anh sound (the same final sound thats in Srolanh/Somlanh)

theres no 'u' sound in either of the words
my point clearly was you using and teaching that the two words have a 'U' sound when it definitely doesnt
This is most likely explained by the difference between a British accent and an Australian accent.

You will probably find British people will pronounce it better if they follow your spelling, and Australians will probably pronounce it better if they follow my spelling. I know there is a wide range of different accents in the UK, it might not apply to all.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic