Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

Post by Duncan »

Brody wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:40 pm
Wanker Wat wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:34 pm I highly recommend taking Cambodian wives and girlfriends to Hong Kong and Macau.
That would require some careful logistics.

Especially if you had a boyfriend too. Hey, you guys in this modern fucked up world believe in equal rights for all dont you.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:16 am
Doc67 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:59 am What does "ort chnung" mean?
chnung means what we in English call "pots and pans." It can be used for a saucepan or frypan, etc.

What he is trying to say is chngun(y). This means delicious.

ot means not. This should be easy for new learners, as you just drop the first letter in English.

So ot chngun(y) means not delicious.

In the early days of learning Khmer, Cambodians told me I was pronouncing chngun(y) wrong. No matter how much I asked, I did not know how I was supposed to pronounce it. That is one of the reasons I decided to learn the Khmer alphabet. Once you learn the Khmer alphabet, you can spell words, and know how you are supposed to pronounce them. The other reason is, there are sounds we dont have in English.

I encourage people to learn the Khmer alphabet for this reason.
Huh?? :unknown:

its not Chnung, Saucepan is spelt ឆ្នាំង Chhnang, pronounced the same as ខ្លាំង Klang (strong) but with a Chhn-ang instead of Kl-ang

Delicious isnt Chngun(y) its spelt ឆ្ងាញ់ Chhnganh, starts with a Chhng sound and ends in an -anh sound (the same final sound thats in Srolanh/Somlanh)

theres no 'u' sound in either of the words
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

ot chong means dont want i think
i hear this very very often
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Wanker Wat wrote:I highly recommend taking Cambodian wives and girlfriends to Hong Kong and Macau. Macau is visa on arrival (they may ask them to show 5000 MOP in cash ) and the Hong King visa is easy to get. It beats another trip to Bangkok or Singapore or Kuala Lumpur.
Thanks for the suggestion. 2-4 hrs flight, perfect. Missus doesn’t want to visit Vietnam or Laos or Myanmar because it feels too much like Cambodia. Korea and Japan is 8+ hrs away. Singapore and Bangkok seen already.

I think the trash in these places bother them because our better halves expect that faraway places not look trashed up like home.

I like going abroad because she is more touchy feely in public. I think it follows the touchy feely equation. The closer to family we are, the less it becomes. At the village it’s almost like dating Cambodian style all over.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:24 pm its not Chnung, Saucepan is spelt ឆ្នាំង Chhnang, pronounced the same as ខ្លាំង Klang (strong) but with a Chhn-ang instead of Kl-ang

Delicious isnt Chngun(y) its spelt ឆ្ងាញ់ Chhnganh, starts with a Chhng sound and ends in an -anh sound (the same final sound thats in Srolanh/Somlanh)

There is no Chh in English.

We have had similar discussions before. You spell it using the French spelling. I spell it the way it sounds in English. I have not heard how you pronounce it, and you have not heard how I pronounce it. If we both pronounce it the same as Cambodians, then there is no problem.

I suspect some people who spell Khmer using the French spelling, and pronounce it the way those letters sound in English, pronounce it badly.

There may be some differences because you speak British English and I speak Australian English.

ឆ្ងាញ់ can be a difficult word to pronounce. Those learning Khmer can ask Cambodians if they pronounce it correctly. Let Cambodians tell you. Dont give up if you get it wrong. It is a difficult one.
Last edited by explorer on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:31 pm ot chong means dont want i think
yes

I would spell it "ot jong."

ot means not

jong means want
Last edited by explorer on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

a great problem with Khmer is the lack of an accepted phonetic transliteration
it greatly retards learning, even for local kids given the complex Pallava derived character set.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:57 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:24 pm its not Chnung, Saucepan is spelt ឆ្នាំង Chhnang, pronounced the same as ខ្លាំង Klang (strong) but with a Chhn-ang instead of Kl-ang

There is no Chh in English.

We have had similar discussions before. You spell it using the French spelling.
I spell it the way it sounds in English. I have not heard how you pronounce it, and you have not heard how I pronounce it. If we both pronounce it the same as Cambodians, then there is no problem.

I suspect some people who spell Khmer using the French spelling, and pronounce it the way those letters sound in English, pronounce it badly.

There may be some differences because you speak British English and I speak Australian English.

ឆ្ងាញ់ can be a difficult word to pronounce. Those learning Khmer can ask Cambodians if they pronounce it correctly. Let Cambodians tell you. Dont give up if you get it wrong. It is a difficult one.
???

There's no chh in French too.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:08 am a great problem with Khmer is the lack of an accepted phonetic transliteration
it greatly retards learning, even for local kids given the complex Pallava derived character set.
Khmer has sounds we dont have in English. You cant write it with English letters and get the pronunciation correct.

I was reading recently, at one time the French did write Khmer with French letters.

They also did it in Vietnam, and it continues to be the official way of writing Vietnamese.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:04 am
frank lee bent wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:31 pm ot chong means dont want i think
yes

I would spell it "ot jong."

ot means not
jong means want
Why would you use the j here (want, ch[o]ng,ចង់)?

I would pronounce the j as in joke. Can't think of a Khmer word with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic