The wedding dinner

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

The wedding dinner

Post by newkidontheblock »

My least favorite part of the whole thing.

The wedding dinner venue was a big dining hall just outside the village down the road in the commune.

It’s big. Seating about 600-700.

With a giant cooking area to match.

One of the big reasons for the fail was the makeup/costume people. The previous occasions they used locals. Very attentive, anticipated issues. These clowns from the city, nope. All the guys wanted to do was chat on their phones to their many boyfriends about how they wanted to spend the night with them and not their job. I had two complete outfits at the compound. Suit jackets, pants, ties, shirts. Only used one set for the ceremony. These guys said, no need, have all.

What they had was one set of clothes, all in extra small local size. If I squeezed in fine. They otherwise didn’t care.

Most of the evening was attending the collections box.

Greeting the guest on the way in and thanking them
on the way out. And in between, changing outfits and taking photos.

Supposedly there was a slideshow of the engagement, pre-wedding photos, and wedding ceremony, I never got a chance to see anything.

I even heard there was a dinner. Never got any. Too busy chasing clothes, taking photos, meeting and thanking guests. Thank goodness missus fed me cookies and water all night long to keep be from collapsing from hypoglycemia and dehydration.

Was called my for the wedding speech and dance.

Had to go around the blessing table 3 times for luck.

Make a speech.

And missus threw the wedding bouquet twice.

On the first throw, it hit the ceiling and hit the ground. On the second throw, a gay guy caught it, but her married friend grabbed it from him.

The dance.

And yes, that’s me wearing only a t-shirt. They costume people brought only 1 small sized dress shirt and didn’t care if it fit or not.

At the end night, all the donations are collected and and the next day expenses are tabulated

Thank god it’s over and I survived.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: The wedding dinner

Post by phuketrichard »

I am curious:

how much $$ did u receive from your guests?
Who got it??
How much was the whole thing?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
aisaexplore
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aisaexplore »

What a big wedding hall, is it commonly big in Cambodia? I have same question to phuketrichard, how much do a guest usually give to bride or bridegroom for wedding, or they give gifts?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

aisaexplore wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:53 pm What a big wedding hall, is it commonly big in Cambodia? I have same question to phuketrichard, how much do a guest usually give to bride or bridegroom for wedding, or they give gifts?
i have no idea about Cambodia as have never been to a Cambodian wedding
Thailand, 500-1,000 baht is more than enough
BUT Thailand ceremonies are nothing like they are in Cambodia :beer3:
Thank god LOL

PS: in SE asia "gifts" other than cash are not given
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Wow I bet that cost a pretty penny. (I love that saying)
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

aisaexplore wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:53 pm What a big wedding hall, is it commonly big in Cambodia? I have same question to phuketrichard, how much do a guest usually give to bride or bridegroom for wedding, or they give gifts?
This is a small one compared to one you can see in PP. For this wedding, average should be 20/30$ per red pocket, 100$+ would be very generous and/or family (close relatives).
Don't forget the water buffalo
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Damn...I thought you were having a strictly province wedding...that wedding hall would be cost you a pretty penny, hopefully the gifts covered your expenses.

Once again though, congratulations!
aisaexplore
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aisaexplore »

Kayve wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:13 pm
This is a small one compared to one you can see in PP. For this wedding, average should be 20/30$ per red pocket, 100$+ would be very generous and/or family (close relatives).
Thank you for the informations, 20-30 dollars average is not a big amount. But consider of such a big wedding scale, they prob can make some money from it.
B1.Barang
Expatriate

The wedding dinner

Post by B1.Barang »

phuketrichard wrote:I am curious:

how much $$ did u receive from your guests?
Who got it??
How much was the whole thing?
I used to in charge of my brother’s wedding before. It costed around 15000$, and he got money back from the guests around 7000$-8000$, some guest come along with his wife and kid, they paid 10$+500 riel , some guest come with entire family, they paid 20$ for dinner party.
I guess OP’s wedding might costed the same amount of money as my brother’s wedding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by B1.Barang on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

aisaexplore wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:55 pm
Kayve wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:13 pm
Thank you for the informations, 20-30 dollars average is not a big amount. But consider of such a big wedding scale, they prob can make some money from it.
Thats is the general idea. If everyone pays $20 they will make a profit. But a big important persons wedding would be far more, and richer people are expected to pay more. In cambodia wealth is a function of skin colour. if you are white you are rich :-) I paid $10 each for 2 of us 6 courses about 5 years ago in a village about 2 hours from town. At least 300 guests, probably more. severla tents
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic