Overstay 45 days, waited a new passport issued

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Overstay
Tourist
Thailand

Overstay 45 days, waited a new passport issued

Post by Overstay »

Hello! I've applied for a new password in my Embassy because the current one has no more space for any new stamp or visa. I just noticed my new passport is ready for pickup in PP.

Issuing tooks longer than I thought and my visa was expired 45 days ago, so I have a big overstay. Can you please advise me on right and less harmful way to solve the overstay matter and get the new passport to be ready to be used. I have 1.5 years stay with E (business visa, but never had a work permit), 6 months with tourist visas and the last one is 3 months visa (the one issued for a work seekers once, without possibility to extend).

I'm residing in SR, next week I will go to PP to get the passport and do the overstay's paperwork, so I want to plan to do that in one day, or hopefully morning.

As I know the fine is $450. That's all I know for the moment... So I have a questions, I hope you can help me to clarify.

1. Is the $450 fine I only need to pay, and couldn't I get some another problem?
2. Where to pay in PP? (I'm currently on very low budget, so I'm going to cross a land border to Vietnam, can't afford an airplane).
3. What to do next if #1 and #2 is solved? Best way to get a new (tourist, as the only possible without a WP) visa? Just get a bus to Ho Chi Minh and back?
4. Something else I need to know?

Will be very appreciated for any piece of advice!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Overstay 45 days, waited a new passport issued

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yeah, you most probably have to leave by air once you settle your bill at passport office.

They may not blacklist you, but then again they may.

The correct way to handle this would to have gone to immigration before applying for your new passport and applied for another month's visa before sending the old one off.

Hope this helps.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Overstay wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:53 am 1. Is the $450 fine I only need to pay, and couldn't I get some another problem?
2. Where to pay in PP? (I'm currently on very low budget, so I'm going to cross a land border to Vietnam, can't afford an airplane).
3. What to do next if #1 and #2 is solved? Best way to get a new (tourist, as the only possible without a WP) visa? Just get a bus to Ho Chi Minh and back?
4. Something else I need to know?
1. Since they will probably damage your old passport when they give you the new one, you can't leave Cambodia using your old passport. This means you will probably need an exit visa for your new passport. Fee is 35 $ and takes two days. So you can add 2 more days to your overstay and 20$ to the fee.
2. Pay the fine at the DoI opposite the airport, or visit the immigration police in Siem Reap. Maybe you can make a deal there. But only make a deal locally f the exit visa problem is somehow solved too, otherwise you are still at the mercy of the DoI in Phnom Penh.
3. Go to the temple and pray they will let you back in immediately. I don't know how they will respond at a >40 days overstayer turning himself in. Probably no problem, but I really don't know if you can just so an overnight visa run or not.
4. Learn how to plan in the future. Will save you big bucks.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

You can leave using the invalidated old passport accompanied by new one.

Did it myself after I went through the same process, minus overstay.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:19 pm You can leave using the invalidated old passport accompanied by new one.

Did it myself after I went through the same process, minus overstay.
I think the overstay makes a difference, what I should have written....

1. Since the visa is your old passport expired, you can't leave Cambodia using that one. This means you will probably need an exit visa for your new passport. Fee is 35 $ and takes two days. So you can add 2 more days to your overstay and 20$ to the fee.

Maybe it isn't needed, maybe the fee covers all, but if you have a (new) passport without a valid visa and you want to leave the country you normally need an exit visa.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i thought is was $10/day UP to 30 days and than??
It is possible to overstay for up to 30 days. After 30 days, overstayers are still liable for the $10 daily fee, but, depending on the length of the overstay, risk imprisonment, deportation, and future bans on entering the country.
https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning ... /#overstay
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yeah, those are the rules.

But. . .T.I.C.

A friend overstayed by around 36 days before realising, quite recently.

But he had WP, business license, tourism license and apologisied for his oversight and paid an extra few hundred or so on top of overstay and visa fees, and he didn't have to leave his house, much less the country.
Wanker Wat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Wanker Wat »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:04 pm Yeah, you most probably have to leave by air once you settle your bill at passport office.
Why by air?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Wanker Wat wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:14 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:04 pm Yeah, you most probably have to leave by air once you settle your bill at passport office.
Why by air?
They're sure you actually will leave?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:20 pm
Wanker Wat wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:14 pm
Why by air?
They're sure you actually will leave?
I think he's suggesting that you might get deported directly following payment ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic