Another Robbed and Homeless Expat: Does Anyone Know Him?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Another Robbed and Homeless Expat: Does Anyone Know Him?

Post by explorer »

If I met him, I would see if he is friendly or hostile when talking to him. It looks like he is friendly.

If he is friendly, I would ask how he got in that situation, and what he would like to do in the future. He may want to continue living like he is. I would also try to get an idea, for example, if he is an alcoholic.

It is difficult to make a decision on whether to help or not, knowing so little about him.

If the Australian embassy does not want to help him, he is probably a difficult person to help.

Most people are in that situation as a result of their own bad choices. But there may be a few good people who have genuinely experienced difficulty.

I talk to homeless people, people collecting bottles and cans, and other poor people. That is how you can get to understand their situation.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"
If I met him, I would see if he is friendly or hostile when talking to him. It looks like he is friendly.
If he is friendly, I would ask how he got in that situation, and what he would like to do in the future. He may want to continue living like he is. I would also try to get an idea, for example, if he is an alcoholic.
It is difficult to make a decision on whether to help or not, knowing so little about him.
If the Australian embassy does not want to help him, he is probably a difficult person to help.
Most people are in that situation as a result of their own bad choices. But there may be a few good people who have genuinely experienced difficulty.
I talk to homeless people, people collecting bottles and cans, and other poor people. That is how you can get to understand their situation.

More words to live by from the fountain of wisdom.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

the aussie embassy is one of the better ones. he is lucky he is not british. best bet hand himself into immigration, then the embassy will have to do something, even if they refuse to help him whenhe turns up. It far more hasssle for them to deal wtih someon in clink than just shove them ou the door of the embassy
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

pczz wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:47 am the aussie embassy is one of the better ones. he is lucky he is not british. best bet hand himself into immigration, then the embassy will have to do something, even if they refuse to help him whenhe turns up. It far more hasssle for them to deal wtih someon in clink than just shove them ou the door of the embassy
The British embassy “looks after” many other nationalities who don’t have one of their own (Dutch, Ireland etc).
I wonder if they treat them even worse?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

As a brit, i have found that the brit embassy cannot or will not lift a finger for brits. Not their fault, they can only follow uk government rules. They do, however act for irish if requested by the irish embassy in hanoi and will adhere to irish standards which we found pretty good. If you are an EU citizen and there is no embassy for your country in Cambodia you are legally entitled to assistance from any other EU embassy. In most cases there is already a formal arrangemnet in place. Most northern europeans use the Germn embassy, Most southern ones use the French embassy. Some have to contact the nearest national embassy, so Czech republic have to ask the Czech embassy in Bangkok who will ask one of the embassies in PP do deal with it on their behalf on a case by case basis.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Captain wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:39 am Note in the photo above, there is a baby with a red arrow pointing to it, laying next to the homeless dude. Does anyone know the origin of this baby? Thank you.
thats not a baby its a picture of the guy laying down, its 3 pictures merged into one
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Where is an 'attractive and stylish white woman' when you need rescuing????
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:39 pm Image
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Old8404 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm Where is an 'attractive and stylish white woman' when you need rescuing????
Very auspicious of you to mention the stylish woman coz i just walked past the After School bar in st 130 about 30 mins ago and the charity family are all there with new baby.

Did they do a deal with the landlord to cash in the remaining 3 mths rent? Or sub let? =@
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Old8404 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm Where is an 'attractive and stylish white woman' when you need rescuing????

Your too late she's already been saved.

https://scontent.fcbr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CCA480E
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic