If you died in another country

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: If you died in another country

Post by andy1 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:15 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:59 pm Cautionary tale for Australians (and possibly those from other Western countries) - if you have a life insurance policy, check whether the payout is dependent on your remains being returned to Australia. Mine does, and it turns out that most do in the fine print.
Interesting clause. Is that because they want to see if you are really dead ? I suppose they pay for the shipping then ?
I doubt very much that the insurance company would pay,just an easy way to avoid payment as they know most people could not afford to ship a body half way round the world.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:15 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:59 pm Cautionary tale for Australians (and possibly those from other Western countries) - if you have a life insurance policy, check whether the payout is dependent on your remains being returned to Australia. Mine does, and it turns out that most do in the fine print.
Interesting clause. Is that because they want to see if you are really dead ? I suppose they pay for the shipping then ?
I guess they want proof you're dead and not living the high life in the tropics - and no, your estate pays the shipping.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

be aware of the legal situation. There are international conventions on what hapens to your monsy if you die in a foreign country. in general your millions will be distributed according to the laws of the country you die in, but that is not always the case.
Your australian will may not be valid in Cambodis so you should make sure that you have it officially translated into Khmer, the get it rdeon inCambodia according to Cambodian law by a notary and make sure your next of kin/embassy (if they will do it) have a copy with instruction regarding your next of kin.
Anyon at home will need to come here and make a claim on your assetts here. you will need an official translation of your khmer death certificate from here ot get probate at home, and do not forget any kids pets land etc because you son at home might neo be able to inherit land or apartments you have here. Its a minefiled. i was quoted $800 to do a will here to cover just my bank balances. if you have got more thatn a couple of k sitting around get advice feom your embassy and/or a reputable lawyer/ notary
Magic Van
Tourist

Post by Magic Van »

Some credit cards provide repatriation of your body as a benefit if you booked the flight with that card.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Magic Van wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:08 pm Some credit cards provide repatriation of your body as a benefit if you booked the flight with that card.
I came here to avoid giving the thieving corrupt bastards who run my country a penny. I really do not with to contribute to their GDp by having people aste money on a funeral and pay taxes.

On a more serious note there may be taxation issues related to your body being repatriated or legal ones. the insurance company probably wants to do an autopsy to make sure they cannot find something to invalidate your claim, like drug abuse or perhaps you were drunk when you fell off the skscraper so thyey don't have to pay out. Safest best get cremated in your country of detah as quick as possible, unless you girlfriend has left the kitchen knife still between your shoulderblades and you donr want her inheriting :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic