What happened to the food at Larry’s?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Re: What happened to the food at Larry’s?

Post by The Suk Straggler »

I moved to town two weeks ago and have eaten at Larry’s at least five times. Everything has been good ... I don’t think they make a habit of serving raw chicken.

Larry isn’t tall. He wears shorts and has very noticeable chicken legs. Ruben is the bearded one ... nice guys both of them.
Trebormint
Tourist
Andorra

Post by Trebormint »

The Suk Straggler wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:56 pm I moved to town two weeks ago and have eaten at Larry’s at least five times. Everything has been good ... I don’t think they make a habit of serving raw chicken.

Larry isn’t tall. He wears shorts and has very noticeable chicken legs. Ruben is the bearded one ... nice guys both of them.
As I said in my initial post on the raw chicken, I have eaten that dish several times in Larry's before so I'm sure that the lousy food on Friday was a rarity.
As for who the guy who spoke to me, he's never introduced himself so I have no idea if he was Larry, Harry or Barry but he was obviously in charge on this and every other visit and as ridiculously unprofessional and unsympathetic as is possible, hence my annoyance.
I'll not be revisiting so there'll be no confrontation but my 'vengeance' (if that's the right word) will be a dish served cold.
Just like the chicken.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Trebormint wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm I'll not be revisiting so there'll be no confrontation
Aw man, you're already backing down? What happened to...
Trebormint wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:26 pm I'll be paying him a visit soon enough.

I was hoping for a revisiting of the old style Phnom Penh restaurateur beat-down...

...like the time Cadillac Kenny got his glasses smacked off his face.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Trebormint wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm
I'll not be revisiting so there'll be no confrontation but my 'vengeance' (if that's the right word) will be a dish served cold.
You're going to wait a year and leave him a one star rating on TripAdvisor?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Speaking of TripAdvisor:

Trebormint
Tourist
Andorra

Post by Trebormint »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:01 pm
Trebormint wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm
You're going to wait a year and leave him a one star rating on TripAdvisor?
Now there's an idea
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:04 pm Speaking of TripAdvisor:

I see we have two customers here complaining,,, one says the chicken was under cooked, and the other on trip adviser, wanting the cook to hurry up with the meal,,,
probably chicken ,, and serve it up half cooked cause he was out of patience and time.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

The food at Larry's is great. Seems that they got something wrong, made a joke about the whole thing, which you didn't like, and now you will never go back. I still think it's one of the top pizzas in Phnom Penh. Good luck finding a restaurant in Cambodia (or anywhere) that's never made a mistake.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Trebormint
Tourist
Andorra

Post by Trebormint »

General Mackevili wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:25 pm The food at Larry's is great. Seems that they got something wrong, made a joke about the whole thing, which you didn't like, and now you will never go back. I still think it's one of the top pizzas in Phnom Penh. Good luck finding a restaurant in Cambodia (or anywhere) that's never made a mistake.
Everywhere makes mistakes, no doubt.
I'm less happy with a weekend of food poisoning and a session of puking my guts up than a joke.

Btw, you've a narrow range of culinary reference points if you describe the food at Larry's as 'great'
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

General Mackevili wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:25 pm The food at Larry's is great.
When you talk to Larry you understand that he is passionate about food and cooking, and he has standards that won't be compromised. He also is a caring boss and member of the community. Some people have other priorities and that is fine. Meanwhile his restaurant is doing well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic