Visa Runner From Cambodia Refused at the Thai Border 2019

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Visa Runner From Cambodia Refused at the Thai Border 2019

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Posted on social media yesterday.

Just FYI, doing border runs to Thailand is really getting strict. I was denied after waiting in line for 3 hours, than being ushered to the side to sit and wait my turn to be spoke at by a superior immigration officer, for over another hour. He interrogated me of why I wanted to go to Thailand. He wanted proof of funds, in CASH, he didn't want to see bank statements, he wanted cash evidence. Proof for hostel reservations, tourist activities excursion bookings to show that I will be spending money in their country in the next 30 days, and any other proof I was staying in Thailand for 30 days. Also proof of a plane ticket back to my home country, the USA(that can easily be over $800 one way). My job was supposed to get my extension on my EB visa, last week, but they didn't send it until the end of the week, and on Monday there was a public holiday, so by Tuesday, my visa had expired. Leaving me to do yet another border visa run. I have a few Thai stamps already in my passport, and I warned my job that I've heard from friends and social media, things are getting stricter at the border. My passport would call attention to itself, since I was just there a month ago doing my last border run. I was told don't worry, just pay the overstay fee and get through the border crossings. No sweat.

I want to inform you, it WAS a worry, and a big problem. And three other expats were also denied in the same hour I was sitting there, waiting for them to deny me. In 6 years of traveling, I have never overstayed a visa, and never have I thought I would get a denial stamp in my passport. They took my photo with a "Notification of Expulsion". It was very embarrassing. They did the same to three other westerners. I was sent back and "given back" my old expired visa. Didn't realize that was possible. So that means I still need to leave the country ASAP, because I am still overstaying. Now I need to book another ticket out, and waste money on another day of overstay. So word of the wise, avoid Thai border, because they don't want you.
— feeling overwhelmed.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Visa Runner From Cambodia Refused at the Thai Border 2019

Post by Cam Nivag »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:35 am Posted on social media yesterday.

And posted on CEO yesterday
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Care=Zero. Why was the guy surprised?

Anyways, don't we have a Thailand subforum?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:30 am Care=Zero. Why was the guy surprised?

It's a woman. She was surprised because Thailand advertises visa free entry to people of her nationality
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

when doing a border run, do you actually have to stamp into another country or just stamp out of cambodia walk across the road then go stamp back in? as that was what i thought happened
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 am when doing a border run, do you actually have to stamp into another country or just stamp out of cambodia walk across the road then go stamp back in? as that was what i thought happened
LAND borders Always require and entry-exit stamp from the adjoining country and they are checked.

As i posted on the other thread with this story
ur only getting her side of it..

Always when thailand refuses entry to someone coming from Laos or Cambodian land boarder, ( only ones i am sure of)
they send ya back and the laos or Camboida immigration CANCEL'S ur exit stamp.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:50 am

what other side do you ant to hear? Her story is consistent with many other from the last few months. thailand seems to be cracking down on visa runners from Cambodia and refusing them entry.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:30 am Care=Zero. Why was the guy surprised?

Bitte_Kein_Lexus, it seems that lately you just drop in with cunty comments, anyway I'll take a stab at your gripe.

People would care and this does not belong in the Thailand subforum because this directly involves expats in Cambodia.

You may not have noticed but in the past few years Cambodia has become more strict with it's issuance of EOS's.

There has also been increased usage of the EG EOS which for some, necessitates a visa run when they desire to switch from an EG to EB EOS's. A visa run is not required but it can work out cheaper than paying the agents fee to switch from EG to EB.

That is just one example and in short, nowadays there are a multitude of reasons why visa runs are more prevalent. Therefore, Thailand becoming increasingly strict with there visa issuance policies, directly effects expats in Cambodia.

Hope this helps Bitte_Kein_Lexus, have a great day! :thumb:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:50 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 am when doing a border run, do you actually have to stamp into another country or just stamp out of cambodia walk across the road then go stamp back in? as that was what i thought happened
LAND borders Always require and entry-exit stamp from the adjoining country and they are checked.

Always when thailand refuses entry to someone coming from Laos or Cambodian land boarder, ( only ones i am sure of)
they send ya back and the laos or Camboida immigration CANCEL'S ur exit stamp.
cheers for clearing that up, never actually done a border run like that ive always spent time in the other country whether a few days or weeks, never done a same day border run
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

To be fair, a glance at her profile suggests she worked illegally in Thailand for quite some time as a fire spinner and she mentions having multiple border runs in the past 12 months.

They probably figured she was going to head back to Koh Phi Phi.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic